Author Topic: Your Thoughts On PC Retro Games With Low Or Medium Ended PC With Newer OS?  (Read 678 times)

(long post but please read before posting)

I wanted to chat about PC gaming without all the expensive bells and whistles. Basically does anyone else play retro PC games on a modern OS? As some of you probably already know I personally don't play modern video games.

So I want to recommend the gold mine of games and the possible options you have for a lot of retro video games. I didn't come to talk about ROM's or pirated software, but instead various retro game PC projects of billions of mods for (legal) retro PC video games. free to download. and with a community support behind them too. Did you know that games like Duke Nukem 3D and Doom have a massive amount of of free mods and custom and levels to enjoy? Mods for Doom and Duke Nukem 3D for example date back to the early 1990's and most of the better ones are free to download even today If you don't believe me just look it up yourselves.

But I will admit that you will need to know a little bit about the mods your downloading to get them to working properly, but I'm sure a lot of you guys might already know how to do some of those things, if not? maybe me or someone else could help? :)

A lot of common games both physical copies and digital copies can work on a Modern PC with a little workaround most times, but not all times.

(most of you will know this but I'll explain)

sometimes you  spend around $20USD on Steam for digital access to entire collections of retro video games on sale. And if you know what your doing, they can be played on a modern PC without much hassle. Has anyone ever heard of the Duke Nukem 3D High Resolution pack that has been available since 2009?. what that mod does is give Duke Nukem 3D an updated more modern outlook for low end or high end (depending on which release you get) graphic cards or even in onboard video, no video card needed.

Doom and Duke Nukem 3D as 2 examples of games have thousands of great free of charge, fan made content to make your gaming backlog on just one game alone almost endless.

Once you download a game off steam you can always navigate to your Steamapps folder inside of common Steam folder on your hard drive to back up your games that way even IF steam removes digital version if they ever decide to do so you will always have your purchased games playable on a backup hardrive.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 03:26:46 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

OR get yourself some flashcarts and ODEs and play retro games on original hardware. No emulation necessary these days.

BinaryMessiah

I mean, PCGamingWiki is perfect for this. Many popular retro PC games are listed with community mods that bring the games to life on a modern OS. GoG is also a good place to buy these games as most work well on a newer OS. PCGamingWiki is my go-to for even modern games when I want to know if they support ultrawide resolutions before buying a game for example. Just recently I got Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines working with the most recent community patches.

Like someone already mentioned, flash carts and ODE's are great, but they extremely expensive and not to mention needing the proper video hookups. A proper modernization of a Saturn can cost $500 and that doesn't include the system. I know because I did it! Most ODE's are $250+ and most flash carts are $150+. Rare and obscure systems like the NeoGeo AVS/AES can cost nearly $500 just for a flash cart. This is why emulation is still popular despite this.

sworddude

Like someone already mentioned, flash carts and ODE's are great, but they extremely expensive and not to mention needing the proper video hookups. A proper modernization of a Saturn can cost $500 and that doesn't include the system. I know because I did it! Most ODE's are $250+ and most flash carts are $150+. Rare and obscure systems like the NeoGeo AVS/AES can cost nearly $500 just for a flash cart. This is why emulation is still popular despite this.

Even if it was super affordable

Most people don't care how they play their games. Not to mention that the differences are small or that you might even have a disadvantage compared to emulation.

Playing a game on original hardware is for purists it's a smaller group at the very end of the day. even if it would cost 1$ 9 out of 10 people would just stick with emulation instead of going through the effort to get an old console on the 2ndary market and hook that up.

It's all about convenience for most and if OG hardware is involved in any way you can forget about that.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

For games that are newer I would recommend a modern video game console, I assume it's cheaper and easier to play modern games on,

since a modern current gaming PC can cost $500-$1000 USD or more most times. Depending on if where you buy it and whether or not you build it yourself. Although I think it's illegal but you can also download 1000's of retro PC game exclusives for free on abandonware websites. the PC has more exclusives than any retro gaming console, in some cases. Windows PC computers can cost about the same as a modern video game consoles these days and if you like PC gaming, and don't have a lot of game nor the room I think it's the best way to go in my opinion.

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

For games that are newer I would recommend a modern video game console, I assume it's cheaper and easier to play modern games on,

since a modern current gaming PC can cost $500-$1000 USD or more most times. Depending on if where you buy it and whether or not you build it yourself. Although I think it's illegal but you can also download 1000's of retro PC game exclusives for free on abandonware websites. the PC has more exclusives than any retro gaming console, in some cases. Windows PC computers can cost about the same as a modern video game consoles these days and if you like PC gaming, and don't have a lot of game nor the room I think it's the best way to go in my opinion.

Agree with that. kinda sucks that 99% is uber trash and that even the best stuff like jazz jackrabbit is kinda mediocre compared to the good stuff on consoles.

Commander Keen was an amazing pc game series? Commander keen on consoles would have been a below average trashy game no offense but let's be legit here. first title came in 1990 wich was uber trash compared to even average nes games even later instalments weren't better than average nes games. and that was pc's best to compete with mario zelda shinobi etc etc.

Also super mario world was available in 1990 commander keen was pc's best at platforming at the time?

PC exceeded for simulators, point and click, text adventures and mmorpg's however it really lacked hard on the action department compared to consoles.

PC had allot of games but at the same time the best developers where all for consoles. not to mention that old pc's where terrible at handling action games with sprites and even early 3d. Consoles had the advantage for these kinds of games.

Doom was respectable but prior to that pc was very mediocre. the barrier is gone nowadays but old pc is rough if you didn't like simulators, point and click or text adventures

Still even after doom it really lacked in the action department the best devs didn't go to consoles for quite a while for quite some genre's

Also not to shit on ultima series but ultima V compared to phantasy star master system. Like how? Pc's where riciulously pricy back in the day compared to consoles. Slower pased games as in rpg's where not that hot on pc either let's be honest here. all the best rpg's are on console not pc

How was ultima so beyond basic while a pc was insanely pricy. PC's are dirt cheap nowadays than back than like what happened here? a console was a fraction of the price compared to pc's in them times of old. not to mention that you'd almost had to replace them yearly  :P

500 to a 1000$ nowadays for a pc is dirt cheap and they last for years unlike in the past in wich they got outdated so fast.

Still 500$ for a pc is really barebones. Current gen Consoles will be way stronger than. If you want a decent pc I'd recommend to at least stick close or over 1000$. it will be more enjoyable than. 500$ budget pc's are not as great as you might expect and for decent results you'd usually have to go 2nd hand for pc parts wich is quite a hassle.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 09:39:27 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Looking back at PC gaming history, especially in the mid 1990's PC's were not that great for gaming on. not like today, now today you can buy or build a PC a cheaper PC and enjoy all the games you've missed earlier in life or time. But back in the early 1990's PC had some really great games, Has anyone ever played this early Polygon game called "Skyroads"? that was a game where you operated a spaceship and jumped onto platforms, or Jetpack, an early 1990's PC game the looked a lot like Donkey Kong where you try to avoid enemies and navigate through a one screen platform maze collecting gems and making way towards an exit.

I grew up on PC gaming and still game on PC today. But back in the day then like @sworddude mentioned, PC's needed to be constantly upgraded and I don't mean a software download, back in the mid and late 1990's early 2000's if you wanted to play anything with N64 or PS1 PS2 or Saturn or Dreamcast or Xbox graphics you needed to pay through the nose on PC's and PC hardware to keep up with the times. Now for those of you who play modern games it's the same today but, I highly recommend any PC  high or low for playing retro games on

And for the record Steam is selling console ports like "Star Wars: Shadows Of The Empire" and a nice "Doom 64" port both these games originally came out on the Nintendo 64.

And Doom 2 has had has a free fan made mod you can run with Zandronum. that has Doom 64 on it. It's been out for years for free on fan made sites as well as many other games. Even Mortal Kombat 2 has a doom 2 fan made port no joke.

no joke! ::)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlAAzp6gdjs

A ton of Doom 2 Mods are actually free fan made remakes of other games even games like a Call Of Duty 4 Modern Warfare weapon mod that changes all Doom 2's guns into guns found in the Call Of Duty Modern Warfare series on consoles
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 12:18:32 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED