Author Topic: Xbox One S is kinda underrated. [Opinion]  (Read 3367 times)

mrkonasoni

Xbox One S is kinda underrated. [Opinion]
« on: April 03, 2021, 08:56:50 am »
|START》》|

If I am sincere the reason I have a Xbox One S is mostly by accident and because I didn't had other option, what happened is that I did buy an used Switch Lite but after just an hour of testing the console I became aware the console had drifting so I obviously went to return it but the store wasn't open to return me the stuff that I traded for it, so instead of returning home with just a receipt with "credit" I instead decided to take a Xbox One that was also available in the store even if at first I thought it wasn't too useful since I have a PS4, but frankly I prefered the console than a piece of paper.

Anyway after testing the console, playing a lot of games and more I certainly think the console is actually pretty good.

First of all, I truly love how quickly the console is for turn on, in just 5 seconds, the console is already in the main menu for start playing, even if you turn it off and don't close the game you can just turn it on again in 5 seconds and the game will also resume pretty quickly, it's pretty cool.

Since the controller was kinda damaged I bought a wired one and I sincerely truly like it, it is pretty comfortable, has a great grip and the joysticks are pretty soft, and if I am sincere with you, since the cord of the controller is like 4 ft long I certainly don't miss using a wireless one and having to charge it after a couple hours of gameplay.

About the games while it is a common joke that Xbox has no exclusive games, I think that at least the library of games is interesting enough, and even better because the backwards compatibility with Xbox 360 and the original Xbox, I certainly enjoy playing again some Xbox 360 games that were also released on PS3 and I can't play at all because my PS3 is also kinda damaged, exploring the store and buy a game for just a couple bucks is also great for meet new experiences and get hours of fun.

And finally, I certainly like that for run homebrew on the console you don't need to hack it, instead you just need to buy a developer license for just 20$ (100$ if you want to publish your game I think), download developer mode from the store, make a little configuration, download Retroarch and done, your Xbox One is now available for run a lot of retro consoles without needing to jailbreak or hack the console, clever move, Microsoft.

Anyway those are my thoughts with Xbox One S, I certainly enjoyed so much playing some of my favorites games once again with the console.

But like always, you are welcome to disagree with me and share your opinions about the console of if you think other console is actually better.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

sworddude

Re: Xbox One S is kinda underrated. [Opinion]
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 11:25:03 am »

First of all, I truly love how quickly the console is for turn on, in just 5 seconds, the console is already in the main menu for start playing, even if you turn it off and don't close the game you can just turn it on again in 5 seconds and the game will also resume pretty quickly, it's pretty cool.

This isn't special. switch has the exact same thing. even less than 5 seconds if you where midgame to get straight into the action again.

About the games while it is a common joke that Xbox has no exclusive games, I think that at least the library of games is interesting enough, and even better because the backwards compatibility with Xbox 360 and the original Xbox, I certainly enjoy playing again some Xbox 360 games that were also released on PS3 and I can't play at all because my PS3 is also kinda damaged, exploring the store and buy a game for just a couple bucks is also great for meet new experiences and get hours of fun.

That's pretty nice I'll admit However xbox having no exclusives meme exists because they had this problem even since OG xbox days. 3 consoles generations having this meme combined doesn't make it's library that amazing   ::)

And finally, I certainly like that for run homebrew on the console you don't need to hack it, instead you just need to buy a developer license for just 20$ (100$ if you want to publish your game I think), download developer mode from the store, make a little configuration, download Retroarch and done, your Xbox One is now available for run a lot of retro consoles without needing to jailbreak or hack the console, clever move, Microsoft.

I wouldn't call that an advantage especially considering how it actually costs money. hacking a console for homebrew ain't that difficult there isn't a big advantage for xbox compared to the other consoles here

I'm just giving some counter points. Xbox one is a fine console but I wouldn't call it underrated considering what it has to offer. we'll see what the xbox series x has to offer considering how they bought up bethesda and with their whole game pass situation. Xbox one seems like a downgrade compared to xbox 360 from what I've seen. xbox 360 had allot of interesting shootemups

Xbox had some advantages on the one. like with unlimited cloud storage and such but these weren't big deal breakers to absolutely need the console.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

mrkonasoni

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 05:48:17 pm »
- Answering to @Sworddude.

Those sounds like some valids points for me.

About the first subject since I only had the Switch for one hour I didn't noted that at all still is a great feature.

About the second I still like Microsoft idea of making all games playable for future Xbox consoles and supporting preservation and such, if they actually attemp for making more Xbox 360 and original Xbox games playable for One and SeX that could be a great idea for building a greater library of games

The third point I am aware about it, but actually at this point as far I know Xbox One is impossible to hack for some reasons I don't remember correctly right now, I should also mentioned that having developer mode is also useful if you are a game developer and you want to test your game on Xbox one for make it available on the store in the future.

Just my point of view, thank you for share yours.

Edit: About Xbox hacking.
https://www.thegamingman.com/is-the-xbox-one-really-unhackable-find-out/#:~:text=The%20Xbox%20One%20so%20far,Xbox%20One%20cannot%20be%20hacked.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 05:50:17 pm by mrkonasoni »
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

BinaryMessiah

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 12:48:52 am »
I had both the original Xbox One and an S and the only appeal for the S system was 4K Blu-Ray movies and it upscaled games into 4K. While it couldn't render them in that resolution the upscale was nice especially for backward compatible games. Honestly, that's the only advantage over the original model. I have a One X now, and it's just sitting collecting dust because every Xbox One exclusive jumped ship to either PS4 or is now on PC. I mean all of them are on PC now except Forza Motorsport 5. The Xbox is a nice system to have if you don't already own a PC or PS4 as the exclusives on the system are anemic at best. The original Xbox honestly had the best exclusives and the 360 did for a few years and they all mostly jumped ship to PS3 or PC. Microsoft just couldn't hold on to exclusives or canceled them all.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 11:56:57 am »
It was my main console last generation. I also have an original PS4 and Wii U Deluxe, but only used those for exclusives. I never upgraded to the One X, and I'm not a PC gamer so The One S was the pinnacle of last-gen for me. Went from it to my Xbox Series X.

The Xbox One S just performed better than my PS4 or Wii U for multiplatform games. And achievements seem to be done better than trophies, so I chase after those more. Plus the backwards compatibility made things quite convienent going 2 generations back, even improving those games' playability and graphics. My favorite controller, too. Nintendo must have liked them, too, because my Pro Controllers feel awfully familiar.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 12:13:15 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 05:33:14 pm »
I never owned an Xbox One, but from what I heard, It's great that Microsoft is making an effort to preserve most of its 1st and 2nd  Xbox Generation games, that were released in physical copies. SONY is all digital now, when it comes to it's old stuff, as well as re-releasing everything and requiring to download 99% of it's games, instead of playing them off the disc.

I can see why Microsoft and SONY both ditched the full optical reading requirement for it's games but

I still can't get over the fact that most modern video games take up more than 50GB a piece, when the Xbox360 installed it's games they were a maximum of 7-10GB a piece hell I just installed Skyrim on my Xbox360's internal harddrive and it was under 10GB well under that mark, and although I haven't played that game yet, I heard it was an open world game with a chunk of exploring and things to do
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

covfefe2020

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 07:55:21 pm »
I was looking into getting it when it came out. Aside from that nothing will ever beat wired controllers, I end up using them no matter what system I´m playing zozzle (shoutout PowerA!)
The Benevolent and Powerful covfefe2020

Warmsignal

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 01:17:51 am »

However xbox having no exclusives meme exists because they had this problem even since OG xbox days. 3 consoles generations having this meme combined doesn't make it's library that amazing   ::)

Again with this? The list of OG exclusives is understood and easy to research by this point, and I believe there's well over 100 actually, if you also count games that were only otherwise released on Windows. Off the top of my head... Stubs? Blinx? Jade Empire? Brute Force? Project Gotham? The SEGA titles like Crazy Taxi 3, Panzer Dragoon, Otogi, Spikeout, ToeJam? The rabbit hole of OG exlusive games goes quite a ways.

As for 360, it had quite a few exclusives, some timed, others lasting... some that PlayStation fans would have liked to have called their own. Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, for some time Tales of Vesperia. Even had a few obscure shooters to it's name like Akai Katana, Death Smiles, Raiden Fighters, Otomedius. Then there were games like Condemned, Alan Wake, and for a while Deadly Premonition that were exlusive.

Xbox didn't have a problem with a lack of original content until Xbox One. You can debate your game preferences all day long, but as far as OG and 360 games, the exclusives were there.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 01:20:23 am by Warmsignal »

covfefe2020

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 02:05:17 am »

However xbox having no exclusives meme exists because they had this problem even since OG xbox days. 3 consoles generations having this meme combined doesn't make it's library that amazing   ::)

Again with this? The list of OG exclusives is understood and easy to research by this point, and I believe there's well over 100 actually, if you also count games that were only otherwise released on Windows. Off the top of my head... Stubs? Blinx? Jade Empire? Brute Force? Project Gotham? The SEGA titles like Crazy Taxi 3, Panzer Dragoon, Otogi, Spikeout, ToeJam? The rabbit hole of OG exlusive games goes quite a ways.

Stuff like morrowind and jet set padded that out. Nostalgic people love to act like the reason the ps2 sold better wasnt because of the dvd player and market penetration.

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 07:15:39 am »

As for 360, it had quite a few exclusives, some timed, others lasting... some that PlayStation fans would have liked to have called their own. Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, for some time Tales of Vesperia. Even had a few obscure shooters to it's name like Akai Katana, Death Smiles, Raiden Fighters, Otomedius. Then there were games like Condemned, Alan Wake, and for a while Deadly Premonition that were exlusive.

Xbox didn't have a problem with a lack of original content until Xbox One. You can debate your game preferences all day long, but as far as OG and 360 games, the exclusives were there.

I've already mentioned shootemups in the post you reacted to for xbox 360.

I'm aware of the exclusives for especially the og xbox. I own and have played most of them I'm just saying compared to the competition it's poor pickings. It's the main reason why way less people collect og xbox in the current era.

I never owned an Xbox One, but from what I heard, It's great that Microsoft is making an effort to preserve most of its 1st and 2nd  Xbox Generation games, that were released in physical copies. SONY is all digital now, when it comes to it's old stuff, as well as re-releasing everything and requiring to download 99% of it's games, instead of playing them off the disc.

I can see why Microsoft and SONY both ditched the full optical reading requirement for it's games but

I still can't get over the fact that most modern video games take up more than 50GB a piece, when the Xbox360 installed it's games they were a maximum of 7-10GB a piece hell I just installed Skyrim on my Xbox360's internal harddrive and it was under 10GB well under that mark, and although I haven't played that game yet, I heard it was an open world game with a chunk of exploring and things to do

How is it that strange new tech needs far more memory. The grapical difference is quite notable. Gameplay footage is pretty close to cut scenes nowadays. In ps3 and xbox 360 era the difference was quite notable.

The higher the quality the more space it will take. Common sense

Still back in the day even 1mb was already allot. This is only several times more Even 1 Terabyte will be nothing in the next 10  years If I had to guess.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 08:01:09 am by sworddude »

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 08:12:18 am »
The Xbox One S just performed better than my PS4 or Wii U for multiplatform games. And achievements seem to be done better than trophies, so I chase after those more. Plus the backwards compatibility made things quite convienent going 2 generations back, even improving those games' playability and graphics.

Yeah, the performance gap is quite noticeable on certain games.  After I got my XB1 I tended to drift that way for multiplatform for that reason.  I've still got a lot more PS4 games because of exclusives and I've just had it longer, but my XB1 collection has gone up quite a bit since I've gotten it.

covfefe2020

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 10:01:33 am »

. Gameplay footage is pretty close to cut scenes nowadays. In ps3 and xbox 360 era the difference was quite notable.

The cutscene jump in Batman Arkham Asylum is super smooth.

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2021, 11:42:55 am »

How is it that strange new tech needs far more memory. The grapical difference is quite notable. Gameplay footage is pretty close to cut scenes nowadays. In ps3 and xbox 360 era the difference was quite notable.

Still back in the day even 1mb was already allot. This is only several times more Even 1 Terabyte will be nothing in the next 10  years If I had to guess.

True but in my opinion games didn't need to be graphically improved from the 7th generation, it's ridiculous to me how people buy a $300USD or more console with a 500 gig hard drive and are lucky to hold 12 games tops on it, that is only a gig to buy another console. If you don't need to keep installing and reinstalling data onto a hard drive it will last longer bottom line is they don't want the hardware to last I guess. It's a complete waste to me. all that technology will die sooner and it's just goes into a recycle center needing to be melted down and rebuilt, or placed into a landfill pointless.

I never understood why a game needs to be in 4K, an Xbox360 should be able to play fine on a modern tv if I am wrong please someone correct me.

HDMI ports are included in both the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 11:47:49 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2021, 12:02:13 pm »

True but in my opinion games didn't need to be graphically improved from the 7th generation, it's ridiculous to me how people buy a $300USD or more console with a 500 gig hard drive and are lucky to hold 12 games tops on it, that is only a gig to buy another console. If you don't need to keep installing and reinstalling data onto a hard drive it will last longer bottom line is they don't want the hardware to last I guess. It's a complete waste to me. all that technology will die sooner and it's just goes into a recycle center needing to be melted down and rebuilt, or placed into a landfill pointless.

I never understood why a game needs to be in 4K, an Xbox360 should be able to play fine on a modern tv if I am wrong please someone correct me.

HDMI ports are included in both the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360.

there is a difference between a clear image and the actual pixels/models in the game

Obviously character models on newer hardware are far more detailed than on say ps3 or xbox 360. More details require more memory. Certain visuals are simply not possible on ps3 or xbox 360. let alone the size of the world. the better the visuals the smaller the world if your limited by older tech. let alone how much a console can handle at the same time with action scenes wich is also a thing that will limit the grapics if a system can't handle it.

I can play Nes/snes atari 2600 games on HDMI does that make them current gen games? Obviously not you just have a very clear image compared to older signals. HDMI has nothing to do with the actual grapics ingame. It's just the signal used to show something on the screen.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 12:21:06 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2021, 02:38:08 pm »
(off topic thoughts)

I'm pretty sure every console has it's limitations but it would be nice just if they just offer to upgrade the original hardware. According to my PC experience RAM chips and video card RAM are vary important in PC gaming. without enough RAM on a more modern game the higher graphic video games and programs. would not be possible, it would be vary jagged choppy to the point of unplayable.

Not sure but I think some of hard drive space for all these modern games. May or may not be using some kind of paging file. a Paging file is a dedicated section of a hard drive that the computer uses if it don't have enough RAM.

Hmm just read that the Xbox360 only has 512mb of RAM and the Xbox One has 8 Gigabytes. personally I don't know how the Xbox360 can even operate on only 512mb of RAM but it was made in 2005 originally.

hell I do know that a Windows PC back in 2005 needed a hell of a lot more RAM than 512mb for games similar to Xbox360 releases back then. I once had a new back in 2005 PC with only 512 mb of RAM and I need that just to play PS2 types of video games, any game that had graphics like the Xbox360 needed a hell of a lot more money spend on upgrades to run something like Call Of Duty Modern warfare back then.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 02:41:12 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED