Author Topic: Video Game Collecting Dying Thoughts?  (Read 5452 times)

Video Game Collecting Dying Thoughts?
« on: April 18, 2021, 07:08:18 pm »
With the retro games being bought up by the masses and the modern gaming industry pushing all digital, what do you think will become of VGCOllect? I think if things keep going like they are today they will be nothing left, unless some new console replaces the modern stuff. I would not mind digital only games if there was a way I could keep and play the ones I bought for as long as I want to. But that is not the case.

PC is where it is at now, I believe PC is the best value for your money in a digital only environment. Consoles are turning into crap, and I think a modern console is a waste of money. Just look at what SONY might do the the PlayStation 4, now we need to buy a PlayStation 5 to play all of our PlayStation 4 games. I think PS3 has hope, due to less restrictions, unless SONY releases an update to somehow disable the PlayStation 3 and stop it from working at all.

I keep my PS3 and my Xbox360 offline because of this thought and I think we should all turn off our WIFI on our 7th generation video game consoles.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Video Game Collecting Dying Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 07:21:44 pm »
With the retro games being bought up by the masses and the modern gaming industry pushing all digital, what do you think will become of VGCOllect? I think if things keep going like they are today they will be nothing left, unless some new console replaces the modern stuff. I would not mind digital only games if there was a way I could keep and play the ones I bought for as long as I want to. But that is not the case.

VGCollect is explicitly not a physical only database.  It is a database for individual titles and for people to track them - regardless of the platform or medium.  You've made it clear that you don't utilize the site like anyone else.  This site will be fine.

I keep my PS3 and my Xbox360 offline because of this thought and I think we should all turn off our WIFI on our 7th generation video game consoles.

::)

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 09:22:36 pm »
I am honestly surprised, that their is no company out their, you can just pay to make you a physical copy of your digital game.  Were you can pay licenses w/e to have your favorite games made into physical copy, of most updated version of that game, or backups.

It would be really cool if a company did that, you buy digital games, and your favorite digital games, or when console is near becoming obsolete, you pay like $30 to get have it made into Bluray/Cartridge.  You can even pay extra money to have Custom made Artwork for it.   

Or if you own for example .hack//link japanese version for psp, you can have the fan translation version made into cart ridge for PSVita as a example.

I feel like we going slowly towards realm of music/movies.  Were people going to pirate first before they buy the games. aka buying physical cd to support the artist/buy digital version. Or just streaming services Game Passes, like Netflix.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 09:26:08 pm by lordsofskulls »
The Mind is The Slayer of Reality. --- LoS

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 09:58:57 pm »

VGCollect is explicitly not a physical only database.  It is a database for individual titles and for people to track them - regardless of the platform or medium.  You've made it clear that you don't utilize the site like anyone else.  This site will be fine.

::)

If SONY ever does not remotely disable my PS3 somehow. If they do I hope to God they just die of the freking COVID 19, I don't care about them now. I have a whole collection of PS1 games I use my PS3 for and when if I somehow can't play them on my PS3 anymore I'll be pissed because I too would have purchased a whole entire collection of useless shit. And SONY is not even releasing a lot of games I got on their store front. Anyone reading this don't buy the PS5 fuck that shit >:(

The PS5 is going to play PS4 and PS5 games so soon you will not be able to use your PS4 anymore excpect maybe Bluray movies

Ps4 owners might have it rougher though even your physical games will be unplayable when that ps4 internal clock runs dry

https://in.ign.com/ps3/156762/news/ps3-drm-kills-digital-games-ps4-discs-report

If I'm not mistaken ps5 has that same system. I think there will be solutions for this problem for collectors and such but for the masses who owned such consoles it will be paper weight to much of a hassle. ticking time bombs, was this done on purpose to remove people from their older consoles? because it would definitely work for majority of the consumer base and they would probably not give a flying fuck cause of newer gens and because the console was probably going to die at some point anyway :o

I hope switch and wii u don't have that many issues considering it's allot less online heavy than microsoft or sony.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 10:04:14 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

covfefe2020

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 10:09:37 pm »
I feel like I have to be misunderstanding this. You're seriously paranoid that Microsoft and Sony are going to add updates to legacy consoles and make it so that they cant play game discs? (which arent going anywhere until brick and mortar stores die lol)
The Benevolent and Powerful covfefe2020

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 10:12:46 pm »
I am honestly surprised, that their is no company out their, you can just pay to make you a physical copy of your digital game.  Were you can pay licenses w/e to have your favorite games made into physical copy, of most updated version of that game, or backups.

It would be really cool if a company did that, you buy digital games, and your favorite digital games, or when console is near becoming obsolete, you pay like $30 to get have it made into Bluray/Cartridge.  You can even pay extra money to have Custom made Artwork for it.   

Or if you own for example .hack//link japanese version for psp, you can have the fan translation version made into cart ridge for PSVita as a example.

I feel like we going slowly towards realm of music/movies.  Were people going to pirate first before they buy the games. aka buying physical cd to support the artist/buy digital version. Or just streaming services Game Passes, like Netflix.

1: no optical media drives in a lot of newer consoles and even PC's from what I heard

2: thank god they still make music CD's  Microsoft let's you put them legally on PC, as long you don't sell them

3. good thing there is still a such thing as DVD and Bluray movie production.

I feel like I have to be misunderstanding this. You're seriously paranoid that Microsoft and Sony are going to add updates to legacy consoles and make it so that they cant play game discs? (which arent going anywhere until brick and mortar stores die lol)

SONY yes damn straight I do, that would force everyone who wants to play SONY games to get a PS5 or play no games. from at least 3 generations

Xbox Microsoft still supports some of their retro games on the Xbox One, and yes as far as I know Microsoft Xbox One's play most Xbox games from 3 generations physical and also have digital games as well.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 10:25:26 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 10:44:24 pm »

You left out the part where he's going to pray to God that everyone inlvolved in this wild fantasy dies of Covid. I mean, I think there would certainly think that there are better things to pray for, if that's your thing.

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 10:57:01 pm »
That is not happening with the PS4 for christ sakes

Most electronics have a cmos battery. The Dreamcast does for instance and it's why the damn thing asks me the time every time I turn it on. Sont just made the "mistake" of tying it to a certification thing with trophies. But you are talking 10-20 years from now maybe yours will die. Which then you would replace it and log back online and no problem.

But since this being reported during the supposed sky is falling news of the store closing, this is being conflated with Sony supposedly not giving a shit about its legacy. But again, the store is going down not the software support or download access.

so it's a big assumption to think that 10-20 years from now that the process that does the recertification will be down. I mean Sony is the company that updated the PS3 just 4 months ago so it could play modern blu rays. PSP patches and software upgrades are still up.  When gamers were losing their shit over the PS3 patches not being available, it was fixed a few days later. There's really nothing that supports that the PS4 will be a brick because of this issue. And nothing that says they also won't patch it. It's just gamer nihlism.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 11:05:53 pm by Rahxephon91 »

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 11:05:14 pm »
Video game collecting is going to require a lot more legwork in the future, that's for sure. Your fears of Sony or MS flipping the kill switch on online PS3s or 360s I think is a bit silly, but what could impact these systems is the lack of any live servers delivering patches and updates to games. Some games were released in such a unfinished state that they need these patches and updates to even be playable. Skyrim definitely comes to mind here, at least the initial non-GotY version. I'm sure there are easily 50 other games that are the same.

What this means is anyone considering collecting for these newer consoles might want to actively start or finish getting the games they want asap so they can download all updates and patches for them before they're unable to, at least conventionally. I think some very smart people will likely figure out how to deliver official updates to jail broken consoles in an unofficial matter, but obviously this will require mods to your system and going out of your way apply updates. This will probably create a fairly high celling for entry into these systems, but I have no doubt people will do it in order to enjoy games they played in the late 2000s. I'm sure the same thing will be true of the 8th gen consoles too.

Or maybe we'll get lucky and Sony will inevitably leave up the patching servers, who knows! I wouldn't worry about it so much though.

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 03:45:35 am »

PC is where it is at now, I believe PC is the best value for your money in a digital only environment. Consoles are turning into crap, and I think a modern console is a waste of money. Just look at what SONY might do the the PlayStation 4, now we need to buy a PlayStation 5 to play all of our PlayStation 4 games. I think PS3 has hope, due to less restrictions, unless SONY releases an update to somehow disable the PlayStation 3 and stop it from working at all.

If SONY ever does not remotely disable my PS3 somehow. If they do I hope to God they just die of the freking COVID 19, I don't care about them now. I have a whole collection of PS1 games I use my PS3 for and when if I somehow can't play them on my PS3 anymore I'll be pissed because I too would have purchased a whole entire collection of useless shit. And SONY is not even releasing a lot of games I got on their store front. Anyone reading this don't buy the PS5 fuck that shit >:(

The PS5 is going to play PS4 and PS5 games so soon you will not be able to use your PS4 anymore excpect maybe Bluray movies
I’m just quoting this garbage fire for posterity, lest he deletes it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 04:23:05 am by bunnybear »
—Currently Playing—
Ace Attorney 4-5-6 (NS)
Raiden IV x Mikado (NS)

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 04:16:01 am »
It's your money, so do what you all want with it. If you don't care about getting ripped off that's fine. keep purchasing temporary access to your gaming, I think it's all bullshit,  apparently a lot of people don't care. I am mostly angry that so many finished video game projects are just being tossed behind. it's like why bother making a video game? if companies are only going to trash it when it becomes old.

Believe it or not a LOT of video games and video game software have been forgotten in time, because of companies only care about money, not whether or not their own production and project stands the test of time, and is passed to future generations.

NO APPS NEEDED

sworddude

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 06:27:51 am »
Video game collecting is going to require a lot more legwork in the future, that's for sure. Your fears of Sony or MS flipping the kill switch on online PS3s or 360s I think is a bit silly, but what could impact these systems is the lack of any live servers delivering patches and updates to games. Some games were released in such a unfinished state that they need these patches and updates to even be playable. Skyrim definitely comes to mind here, at least the initial non-GotY version. I'm sure there are easily 50 other games that are the same.

What this means is anyone considering collecting for these newer consoles might want to actively start or finish getting the games they want asap so they can download all updates and patches for them before they're unable to, at least conventionally. I think some very smart people will likely figure out how to deliver official updates to jail broken consoles in an unofficial matter, but obviously this will require mods to your system and going out of your way apply updates. This will probably create a fairly high celling for entry into these systems, but I have no doubt people will do it in order to enjoy games they played in the late 2000s. I'm sure the same thing will be true of the 8th gen consoles too.

Or maybe we'll get lucky and Sony will inevitably leave up the patching servers, who knows! I wouldn't worry about it so much though.

Sure it will stay playable but it will probably be ignored by quite some people because of the higher entry point with them mods and such.

Most electronics have a cmos battery. The Dreamcast does for instance and it's why the damn thing asks me the time every time I turn it on. Sont just made the "mistake" of tying it to a certification thing with trophies. But you are talking 10-20 years from now maybe yours will die. Which then you would replace it and log back online and no problem.

But since this being reported during the supposed sky is falling news of the store closing, this is being conflated with Sony supposedly not giving a shit about its legacy. But again, the store is going down not the software support or download access.

so it's a big assumption to think that 10-20 years from now that the process that does the recertification will be down. I mean Sony is the company that updated the PS3 just 4 months ago so it could play modern blu rays. PSP patches and software upgrades are still up.  When gamers were losing their shit over the PS3 patches not being available, it was fixed a few days later. There's really nothing that supports that the PS4 will be a brick because of this issue. And nothing that says they also won't patch it. It's just gamer nihlism.

If the battery dies even when you replace it. If you can't connect online with them servers your console won't be activated to even play physical games. when the ps4 servers are closing down this is an interesting scenario.

It's probably going to be patched later on but It's still interesting how it's a problem in the first place this shouldn't even be a thing from day 1. I wouldn't call this a small thing.

Even a physical ps4 game has to connect online to be playable on ps4 thanks to this design choice in it's current state. You gotto admit that's pretty dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xngOEfCUhl0
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 07:53:46 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

telly

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 08:41:31 am »

I don't think you quite understand what the problem is.

The CMOS battery, whether brand new or old, requires a handshake with the PSN in order to function and keep time on the system. When Sony eventually shuts down the PSN on the PS4 like they're doing right now on PS3, the CMOS battery will only be able to keep the system operational for 2-5 years. When that battery dies, the console WILL be bricked, no questions asked. Putting in a new battery will not fix the problem. There have been several people that have tested this out already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xngOEfCUhl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt5juSuq69g
https://youtu.be/inlbg2I7Qnc?t=420

This is the case for not only for the PS4, but also the PS3 and PS5. All digital games will cease to function on the PS3 and PS5 whether you've downloaded them to your system or not. Yes, that issue is many years in the future for PS5, but given how it's going to affect the PS3 right now, I think it's reasonable to ask Sony to release a firmware update and fix what is clearly a fatal flaw with all three systems.

And let's not pretend like Sony isn't going to shut down the PS4 and PS5 servers someday. They're doing it right now with PS3, and they'll do it to PS4 and PS5 the second it becomes unprofitable to keep them online. Servers don't last forever. Yes, they re-uploaded some of the patches they took off for the PS3, but they only put back HALF of them.

So there are three possible solutions:
  • Sony fixes the problem themselves. In theory it should be a simple firmware update, so I don't think it's an issue of them being unable to address the problem; I just don't think they will. I'm not holding my breath
  • Hack the console with custom firmware. This is what I think will be the most likely outcome. That's why personally I'm not as worried as some others, I think people will figure out a way to bypass the required certification with PSN, though it probably won't come for a while until after the PS4 is stopped being updated by Sony
  • Buy a PS5 and play your games on it instead. As of right now, it seems like some PS4 games will play on the disc-based PS5 even with the CMOS battery issue. Personally, I'm pretty leery of giving Sony any more of my money if this is the eventual route we have to take to play PS4 games
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 08:51:08 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

covfefe2020

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2021, 09:16:39 am »
Video game collecting is going to require a lot more legwork in the future, that's for sure. Your fears of Sony or MS flipping the kill switch on online PS3s or 360s I think is a bit silly, but what could impact these systems is the lack of any live servers delivering patches and updates to games. Some games were released in such a unfinished state that they need these patches and updates to even be playable.

Cant you install patches and updates through usb?
The Benevolent and Powerful covfefe2020

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 09:49:44 am »
Video game collecting is going to require a lot more legwork in the future, that's for sure. Your fears of Sony or MS flipping the kill switch on online PS3s or 360s I think is a bit silly, but what could impact these systems is the lack of any live servers delivering patches and updates to games. Some games were released in such a unfinished state that they need these patches and updates to even be playable.

Cant you install patches and updates through usb?

Generally, yes, and it requires much more legwork than just connecting to the network to get your updates.