Author Topic: Double Dragon 4 - Mini Review - The humble but mostly good sequel.  (Read 862 times)

mrkonasoni

|UUDDLRLRBA+ Start》》|

Trailer with gameplay:
https://youtu.be/y0f8RV4Q8t4

I have always liked the Double Dragon franchise so I have quite some expectations about Double Dragon lV.

Did it paid off? I think so.
First of all I would love to mention I think the game is obviously low budget, and I don't think it is quite as great like Double Dragon Neon or Street of Rage 4, but I think the product has some good perks to offer.

The graphics are good, and after watching a lot of pixelart games I think that for everything, the game make a good job looking like a NES game without the limitations of the hardware, and I will get credit it looks more unique than the average modern pixelart game because of the palette that looks like a clear nod to the original games.

And the reason I think the game is good is because the gameplay is pretty solid, compared to other games in the franchise the hurtbox, hitbox and reach of the characters is pretty well done and the player never has problems for hit any enemy and even better just take off multiple enemies in pretty few seconds, the game also includes new movements and pretty much everything is pretty useful for defeat the strongest enemies, even better the input always respond perfectly and are pretty easy and simple to learn.

The game also has a few platforming elements just like the second game and I think the person behind knew what he/she were making, the platforming is well thought, the player has enough time for learn how to sort the hazards and it feels that overall the platforming is designed around the stiff movement and jump of the character.

So, pretty much I think for everything that Double Dragon 4 does, the game is mostly good and deserve more praising for what it performed as a game.

I certainly don't think it is memorable or great and the game sometimes feels indeed low budget but for the price tag of 8$... I consider it a good beat em up with well thought platforming sections and with a likeable story about redemption and accept your own weakness as a person.

It is a good Double Dragon game and I recommend spending a few dollars on it if you like the franchise.

- You are welcome to disagree with me and put your own thoughts even if they are not positive about the game mentioned here.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 04:02:45 am by mrkonasoni »
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

Re: Double Dragon 4 - Mini Review - The humble but mostly good sequel.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 06:16:47 pm »
I always wondered about this game. Thanks for the review.

Do you think it's better than Double Dragon III?

telekill

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 08:24:42 am »
I had a blast with it but forgot how tough NES-esq games can be. That game has kicked my rear. lol.

mrkonasoni

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 01:02:26 am »
- Answering to @masamune

Your welcome.
I consider this game a more polished version of the second game, and I think so, I could put DD4 over DD3, mostly because how difficult DD3 were and frankly all levels felt similar, I do still consider it mostly decent, though.

- Answering to @telekill

Sincerely that feeling of 2000s fangame that used to be so popular back then for classic franchise never wore off when playing this game, but I think that's is positive because I loved these.

I think this game is mostly fair difficult, the only real problem I have with the game is that for some reason the developers thought making some enemies overpowered and they taking off more than half of the character health with just once attack was a good idea, but since the game allow the player to come back to the last level finished just pressing the start button in the title screen, the only hurdle for beat the game is time.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.