Author Topic: Your own videogame reviews thread  (Read 2616 times)

necrosexual

Re: Your own videogame reviews thread
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2021, 09:12:25 pm »
so i just played silva saga ii: legend of light and darkness (シルヴァ・サーガ2) and thought i would say a couple words.

so it's a pretty basic JRPG on the SNES and certainly doesn't stand up to the classics (or even the next in lines like produce! rpgs), but it doesn't do anything wrong either? but i can't imagine many people going, 'oh, yeah, silva saga, gosh, what an overlooked cult classic!' but i could see people playing this here and there to scratch an itch.

because that's the only notable aspect of this game: you can play it and beat it in like 15 hours, less if you have done so before, so if you don't want to dedicate to the genre's conventions it would be great for that

everything else it does is basically standard or completely ignorable (such as the idols/mercenaries combat mechanic). beyond grinding, it is basically every part of japanese RPGs conventions without any scrap of shame. it's a pretty unashamed FFIV knock-off, but at a breakneck pace, and without the drama of betrayals and death. they weren't that daring. so if you want this exact kind of classic JRPG, down to the ridiculous 20-portal tower dungeon maps (they don't make maps like this anymore) that are easy to get lost in, but without a 20+ hour commitment, here's your game.

there is a lot of unique text while interacting with hidden-item spots, but idk if that is the fan translation or not. it is charming though.

the music is... fine. all towns use the same tracks only differing depending on night or day. it gets tiring after a bit. i don't remember the overworld track. dungeon tracks were pleasing enough. i like the combat tracks, but it may have been because they used some of the same samples as 7th saga here, a game i have a soft spot for.

combat is extremely physical-leaning, and magic is seriously hurt, with buff spells almost nonexistent and only two spells necessary on your mage tbqh. the magic resistance spell is an absolute showstopper, as it negates all magic attacks (including status), and this is the main role of your mage, setting this up, and evasion buff, then being item mom. a lot of press A combat here.

but sometimes you want to play a game in a genre that isn't trying to do unique shit or blend genres or anything new. sometimes you want to go back to basics, and i think this game is great for that and i think that's why i enjoyed it well enough. it really is a linear classic JRPG, and not exactly a great one, but it doesn't have to be because it seems aware enough of that not to keep you too long either.

for the genre it does what you expect but if you dislike JRPGs already it will remind you why. but it's pretty harmless in the grand acheme. playa very safe to convention, which i guess i could dig rn.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 09:23:10 pm by necrosexual »

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2021, 02:00:24 pm »

— Spirit Hunter: NG Review —

This is what sequels are supposed to be. NG improves nearly everything that was good about its satisfying-but-flawed predecessor, Death Mark, while also addressing nearly all of its shortcomings.

Like Death Mark, this too is a modern (well, 1999) tale of Japanese horror, mixed together as text adventure and visual novel, only here the blend makes a more seamless whole, rather than two disparate halves warring with each other. Thankfully, this time I really can call this a VN.... a narrative with strong exposition, intriguing characters, and even a much better antagonist. Unlike the first game, which kept its secrets all to itself until the very end (and in the last few pages of the collector’s edition art book), making for a fairly empty feeling narrative almost the entire time, NG’s characters and setting will suck you in almost immediately. It still takes an hour to get going, but once it does, you’re hooked. NG creates a new roster of evil spirits designed to evoke both revulsion and sympathy, but it doesn’t quite reach the same stunning degrees of haunting pathos one felt after dealing with the ghostly apparitions of Death Mark. Frankly, it’s a small price to pay when everything else here is a clear upgrade.

The presentation is vibrant, not staid. The artwork is more eye catching. Although there are some recycled assets, the sound design improves upon one of the high points of Death Mark, and the soundtrack offers real emotional connection instead of just ambience and atmosphere.(edited)

The “boss fights” as they were, come about more organically, and don’t feel as forced. The translation is much better (there are still syntax errors, but few and far between) at conveying the, ahem, spirit of the Japanese source material, rather than strictly focusing on literal word-for-word interpretation. The puzzles can be a bit daft, though when you finally discover the answer to a few of them, you will understand their internal logic.

Developers Experience also managed to create NG as a direct sequel with a brand new cast, therefore not requiring any knowledge from the previous title, though players who have completed Death Mark will certainly glean a larger degree of pleasure to the many references made to the earlier game.

Lastly, a word about performance. Thanks to some clot at Nintendo Life, there exists a caption along metaranking sites that suggests this game performs not just poorly, but borderline unplayable on Switch. This is a gross mistake, and NL admitted as much by re-writing the entire review with no mention of performance issues, although the stain of the initial damning caption remains.

If Death Mark got an ‘A’ for effort but ‘C’ for execution, then NG gets ‘A’s all around. Consider Death Mark as appetizer, tasty but unfulfilling, and NG as the satisfying main course. I look forward to the palette cleansing dessert portion of Spirit Hunter sometime next year.

— 4 stars. Bring on Shibito Magire—
—Currently Playing—
Ace Attorney 4-5-6 (NS)
Raiden IV x Mikado (NS)

kashell

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2021, 01:23:27 pm »
NG was amazing! Loved it. And once again, I'm glad to see someone else play it.

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2021, 09:47:04 pm »
(for MS/DOS/PC WINDOWS 10 FOR DIGITAL DOWNLOADS)

game title:
"DEATH RALLY"

review by oldgamerz

Death Really was a mid 1990's PC top down racing game, in fact it is the only top down camera angle racing game I ever liked. In fact I love this PC game, first off in this top down racing game you You first start out with a new ride for this games single player mode in which is like like campaign mode. are given a slow Volkswagen with a small machinegun to shoot other racers or defend yourself in this game.

the goal of this game is to race to the finish and place in at least 3rd to earn money, in order to upgrade your vehicles, repair the damage you take while out on the track and upgrade your engine or armor, tires, or purchase newer and better vehicles to take further into the campaign with you.

YOU CAN ALSO
and/or purchase extra weapons, rocket fuel,  land mines, spikes or pay a mobster to sabotage an enemy racers vehicle for you to have a slight winning advantage over 1 driver per race. also you are given some free machinegun ammunition at the start of each and every race or your selection. There is three difficulty settings, the race you volunteer. Each time you compete against the other CPU players in the campaign.

Those are the racers you need to beat during your campaign/career  there is a ranking list, the goal of this game is to keep racing the best you can to eventually get the top rank in the CPU competition, in order to take on the boss in order to beat the game once and for all and the boss fight is AWSOME in my own opinion.

In this game the race tracks go in a circle motion not in a straight line like on some racing games of this era, it's a like like RC/PRO-AM but with a lot more gusto and grit. For example the tracks are much much more detailed including lava and water for example in the background, and also has little male bystanders that the game allows you to kill. or run over leaving a puddle of blood. And tire track behind for the next round of the race.

But if you run into the bystanders it will slow you down a ton, and they can get in the way quite a bit. You can use various weapons and bullets that appear on the track as you pass by, to shoot the three other racers in order to get the best finishing placement for that one race. if you kill all the other racers in the race in race instantly ends and you get the 1st place price money as well as the $1000 Grim Reaper bonus with a message from grim himself. if you kill the racers in the race there cars may look like they are buring but BOTH YOU and the CPU can die in a race and continue with the career regardless as long as you can repair your totaled vehicle.

YOU are only allowed to own 1 vehicle at a time meaning once you buy a another one you lose your old old and it upgrades, and you also get no extra money or profit for trading your vehicles into the in game dealer. also found you can find extra cash bonus and illegal drugs on the track to either mess up your vision as well as run a steroids' mission and place first to get a cash bonus at the end of some of the races. Sometimes you an incognito NPC will contact you before you begin your race. the i incognito NPC is random throughout the career he will offer you cash deals for dirty deed but if you accept the deal and don't keep your promise during the race he will take some of your money instead of giving your anything at all, so don't break your promises. ;)

in the beginning of the game career mode you choose your first vehicles color and overall game difficulty level, that an portrait name your your face, in the form of anime portrait that you will use to see where you stand in the career competition

YOU CAN ALSO BE DUKE NUKEM FROM DUKE NUKEM 3D as well as VS DUKE IN A RACE TOO

You race again different classes and race difficulty modes  the higher the race difficulty the more money you can earn for getting in 3rd place or better. IF YOU DIE first in the race you lose the race if you die after another racer then you can actually get 3rd or 2nd and still get your money anyway, as long as you don't get 4th (from what I remember)

(HERE IS A GAMEPLAY VIDEO ON YOUTUBE THAT I FOUND THAT I DID NOT DO)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9y0hPDlnYw

5-5 STARS AND IF FORGOT HOW MUCH I LOVE THE IN-GAME MIDI TRACKS TOO :)

2 modes in which consist of #1 a single player campaign like season and #2 multiplayer if you can find somebody to play with you today.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 09:51:55 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2021, 01:50:37 pm »

Played it and beat it within the weekend. Short but satisfying.

MUCH better than RE 7, IMO. Wasn't a fan of all the sneaking around in that one. I was able to blow creatures away in this, which is much more satisfying for me. I loved the gothic setting, too. Though the ending was a bit of a downer.

Graphics were good, but not next-gen spectacular, which I was kind of expecting since I'm playing on an Xbox Series X.

BTW, when did Chris become such an A-hole?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 01:52:16 pm by burningdoom »

kashell

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2021, 04:28:10 pm »
I finished Ys IX. Here's a little something about it.

http://kashelltriumph.com/ys-ix-monstrum-nox/

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2021, 06:20:02 pm »

Thanks for that, and for giving your honest opinion.
The Ys series is one I have very limited experience with (in the late 80’s one of my friends had Ys I for Master System but I only recall playing it briefly, that’s the extent of my Ys experience) but I’ve been hearing good things about the recent games. So I’m educating myself about the series and almost everything I’ve read says VIII is the best and IX isn’t quite as good. However, I see your opinion differs, and after trying the demos for both games I have to agree that IX seemed better. Not $60 good, but I can wait for a PSN sale.

kashell

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2021, 07:42:37 am »

Thanks for that, and for giving your honest opinion.
The Ys series is one I have very limited experience with (in the late 80’s one of my friends had Ys I for Master System but I only recall playing it briefly, that’s the extent of my Ys experience) but I’ve been hearing good things about the recent games. So I’m educating myself about the series and almost everything I’ve read says VIII is the best and IX isn’t quite as good. However, I see your opinion differs, and after trying the demos for both games I have to agree that IX seemed better. Not $60 good, but I can wait for a PSN sale.

Thanks for reading! If you're still interested in the series, then I think Ys Origin would be the best place to start.

http://kashelltriumph.com/ys-origin/

But really you can play them in any order other than Ys I and Ys II.

mrkonasoni

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2021, 03:52:30 am »
Umm.
I decided to support the project of bunnybear and his thread for reviews, since I hope this will push even more people to share their own reviews or just keep posting.

I played a game named 2Dark that's a horror game by the creator of "Alone in the Dark", that you may remember as one of the games that helped shaping the survival horror genre back then in the 90s, this one is a top-view game.

The game is pretty much about stealth, hide, find missing kids and help them escape and decide if you will kill the enemies or just let them alone.

The game has some stuff I truly liked, like the graphics that are 3D pixel-art or the art-style that is actually quite unique and helps making the game look not as generic than your average indie game.

Also worth-mention the plot for the game is actually quite gross, most of the time and it actually made me feel uncomfortable, I just like the ending had some balls I couldn't see somewhere else.

Of course, the game has some annoying glitches and some jank that's impossible to iron out with the budget for a indie game, but nothing that pushed me to just drop the game.

Anyway, I think 2Dark is interesting enough for actually finish the story and the gameplay feels pretty rewarding when you manage to solve the puzzles and make progress even if it's just finding more clues, I also give it credit for actually making a gross and disturbing story that didn't require something paranormal to stand out.

The game is most of the time available for peanuts (3$) on sale, so if you are feeling like trying something different for the genre, I recommend spending a couple bucks and hope you will like it.

- You are welcome to disagree with me.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2021, 06:52:47 am »
Halo Reach - for the Xbox 360

Halo Reach

was a Microsoft Xbox 360 exclusive game that is based in the Halo Universe, it's basally another Halo-Universe based, first person shooter where you play a role as a half man half machine on a quest to save your entire human colony from destruction, in the end of the single player campaign story your planet pretty much  gets destroyed covered in covenant troops. and you eventually die in the end of the single player campaign  and the rest of the people flee the planet.

First off  you DON'T play as Master Chief aka the Original Halo Trilogy protagonist. But the story takes place before "Halo Combat: Evolved" and before Master Chief was ever known as a Halo Badass he later became known for in further on in the Halo Storyline. Anyway it's another Halo FPS game where you outer space fight aliens, known as the convenient in the games storyline.  it's a fun first person shooter video game. In my own opinion.

This games storyline takes place in the future of today.

I highly recommend playing this game. it's common so you still should be able to get a copy of Halo Reach for the Xbox 360, It's difficulty even on the easy setting is kind of difficult but? just like all the Halo games you should expect it to be difficulty to be high because Halo is NOT and EASY series to begin with it never was a piece of cake for, people new to the First Person Shooter Genre :-\

and I would also highly recommend putting ALL your Xbox 360 games onto an internal Xbox 360 hard drive and play all the games off that instead of using the laser,  because it preserves the hard ward and can make it last longer. Also recommend buying a WIRED XBOX 360 controller so you don't need to keep buying batteries for your controllers.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 06:59:38 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

kashell

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2021, 08:43:15 am »
I wrote a review for Live A Live.

http://kashelltriumph.com/live-a-live/

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2021, 10:34:34 am »

I just checked out your website. Impressive. Good job!
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

kashell

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2021, 12:00:09 pm »

I just checked out your website. Impressive. Good job!

Thank you!

kashell

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2021, 08:55:15 am »
Another review! This is for the 3DS version of DQVIII.

http://kashelltriumph.com/dragon-quest-viii/

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2023, 11:02:08 pm »
I'll sum up what usually contsist of what create a bad video game review, too much automatic interaction and interpretation.

Battlefield 3, SP campaign PS3 ok I quit that game tonight because I just rather play the game instead of pushing one single button or key to  watch 7 different things with my video game characters happen from only pressing one single button, what kind of game design is that, enable the button quick time events, ok but let me play the game and not watch it like it's a movie playing in front of me.

Call Of Duty 3 for PS2's quick time events were all on spot they moved and they let you play the entire fight to the finish whenever they triggered, of course the graphic of the animated soldiers were not the greatest, but still the game kept something different from all other Call of Duty games ever created as far as most of the ones I ever played before, and I play many of them older ones.

Challenging? sure it was but fun yea I enjoyed that game multiple times even though I cussed a few times when I lost the quick time events but, that is Call Of Duty ok?? and at least the CPU was possible to defeat eventually, and I was not sent back to the vary start of the mission but instead ONLY had to redo the quick sequence over and again until done correctly.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 11:04:02 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED