Author Topic: Any Board/Tabletop Game Players Out There?  (Read 1814 times)

telly

Any Board/Tabletop Game Players Out There?
« on: May 06, 2021, 05:14:23 pm »
Hey guys,

I've been playing a lot of the Stardew Valley board game lately with friends, and it's a really neat adaptation of the video game.  Some of the other stuff I've been playing include Dominion, Ticket to Ride, Forbidden Desert/Sky, and I really want to try Wingspan. Would also love to get into Magic one of these days. Never played it but enjoy card games in general so would love to give it a shot with people who would be willing to teach me how to play.

Anyone else on here play board or tabletop game goodness? I've been getting into board games a lot lately and wanted to see if anyone else enjoys this other side of gaming :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 09:46:27 am by tripredacus »
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

Re: Any Boad/Tabletop Game Players Out There?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 07:21:10 pm »
I own a few board games:

I'm actually even in the process of remodeling my gameroom and installing new shelves as 7 bookshelves are not enough to hold my board game collection anymore.

topspot123

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 07:54:46 pm »
I own a few board games:

Me too! I have around 400, but I haven't documented them well. I love the wire cubes like you have in the second pic. Those are what hold my entire collection, about 15-20 feet across and about 8 feet high in my garage.

I don't have that many modern games though. My collection is a mix from across the decades. I love my collection, but I don't have many "serious" games from the last couple of decades.  I also have bunches of CCG products, a lot of discontinued games. But my biggest problem is that I have no local friends anymore to play any of these with.

Here's my BGG profile, but it hasn't been updated in a bit https://boardgamegeek.com/user/topspot123

As far as Magic the Gathering, I'd like to get a little more into it as well. I play a little bit on Arena and I would gladly recommend getting the Magic: The Gathering Magic Game Night 2019 box. Five full decks, a reasonable value. It's a nice way to break in.

tripredacus

Re: Any Board/Tabletop Game Players Out There?
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 09:46:47 am »
Fixed topic title

pzeke

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 11:13:07 am »
I own a few board games:

I'm actually even in the process of remodeling my gameroom and installing new shelves as 7 bookshelves are not enough to hold my board game collection anymore.

I reckon you have everything seemingly arranged and well-stacked, but damn that collection is teetering on the edge of clutter.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 11:57:02 am »
that collection is teetering on the edge of clutter.

Hence the remodel.

Unfortunately, a board game collection will never look anything but chaotic, especially when compared to a video game collection, as there are no such things as universal sizes or colors. I try to consolidate when I can, as I've gotten the big boxes (specially designed boxes to hold the base game + all expansions) for Smash Up, Scythe, Raiders of the North Sea, Space Base, Carcassone, and Red Dragon Inn, but some of the games that really need one like Catan, Dominion, or Ticket to Ride just don't have good options.

telly

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 12:13:25 pm »
For Dominion I think the best option is to buy a custom-made big box on Etsy or something.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

pzeke

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 08:45:18 pm »
that collection is teetering on the edge of clutter.

Hence the remodel.

Unfortunately, a board game collection will never look anything but chaotic, especially when compared to a video game collection, as there are no such things as universal sizes or colors. I try to consolidate when I can, as I've gotten the big boxes (specially designed boxes to hold the base game + all expansions) for Smash Up, Scythe, Raiders of the North Sea, Space Base, Carcassone, and Red Dragon Inn, but some of the games that really need one like Catan, Dominion, or Ticket to Ride just don't have good options.

This is the type of collection where custom shelving is the best option. However, I think the bookshelves you already have are more than adequate, all you have to do is work around them and organize by size, or maybe even by favorites [1] [2], while perhaps getting a shelf specificallty for bix boxes. [3]

When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 12:33:58 am »
The collection will be reorganized once I get my new shelving, but I'll never store my games vertically. Too much mess on the inside and too much wear on the boxes that way.

pzeke

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 07:15:59 am »
Having everything bagged and organized accordingly should prevent any messes (for most boxes at least). Even for board games, the pros for storing vertically outweigh any that storing horizontally would have, like ease of access and less wear and tear, for example. Gravity doesn't work particularly well when stacking and piling, especially for big collections, or for any other type of item, really.

Just my two cents, of course, we're all a world apart after all; but I can see now what you meant when you said that "a board game collection will never look anything but chaotic".

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2021, 10:15:37 am »
I've been playing a lot of the Stardew Valley board game lately with friends, and it's a really neat adaptation of the video game.

I'd like to play the Stardew Valley board game but the official shop only ships to the US, and the game is currently sold out as well. Does anyone know of a shop that carries it and also ships to the EU? I've seen it scalped on eBay for around $300 but that's a no-go for me.

I used to play board games a lot back in the day, mostly Games Workshop(ish) stuff like Space Crusade, Space Hulk, Dark Future, Blood Bowl etc, but when Magic the Gathering was released it put a solid stop to board gaming (and role play gaming) for myself and everyone else in my hood. I stopped playing Magic many years ago, but never returned to board gaming for some reason. I've talked with some of my friends about picking it up again, and since we all love the Stardew Valley video game the board game would be a good start :)

telly

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 04:58:07 pm »
I've been playing a lot of the Stardew Valley board game lately with friends, and it's a really neat adaptation of the video game.

I'd like to play the Stardew Valley board game but the official shop only ships to the US, and the game is currently sold out as well. Does anyone know of a shop that carries it and also ships to the EU? I've seen it scalped on eBay for around $300 but that's a no-go for me.

I used to play board games a lot back in the day, mostly Games Workshop(ish) stuff like Space Crusade, Space Hulk, Dark Future, Blood Bowl etc, but when Magic the Gathering was released it put a solid stop to board gaming (and role play gaming) for myself and everyone else in my hood. I stopped playing Magic many years ago, but never returned to board gaming for some reason. I've talked with some of my friends about picking it up again, and since we all love the Stardew Valley video game the board game would be a good start :)

I was able to grab it when it originally went on sale. It's good, but not $300 good. Hopefully the upcoming second print will be able to be shipped to Europe soon.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

pzeke

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 06:32:38 pm »

Be patient; they're aware of the demand, so they seem to be working on meeting it as soon as humanely possible.

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 02:33:41 am »
Finally got all my new furniture in, so now my collection looks a bit more cohesive and organized. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the results:

It may still look a bit chaotic, but a good amount is organized by type (i.e. all the deck building games are together, all the co-op games are together, and so on).