Author Topic: Super Mario RPG turns 25 today - some thoughts.  (Read 1822 times)

Super Mario RPG turns 25 today - some thoughts.
« on: May 13, 2021, 10:58:17 am »
25 years ago! (US release)

I find it hard to wrap my mind around this wonderful game being released 25 years ago. Like many, I have so many great memories with this weird, immersive adventure. From new, original characters, to a unique story line, and the introduction of Mario into RPG genre, there are so many things that make this a standout titles on the Super Nintendo.

I was very young in 1996, but I have many fond memories of my Dad taking my brother and I to our local video rental store to rent video games (before the small town I grew up in got a Blockbuster). I remember seeing that strange looking box art on the shelf. Mario, + gang looked very different than they usually did. It was a brand  new adventure we were eager to play! We probably rented that game dozens of times to play it. My brother and I always made it pretty far, but never beat the game.

Back in 2011, after graduating High School, some part of me wanted to start collecting / playing many of these classic games from the 90's I played as a child. While I found my original N64 & Gameube (plus their games) in the basement, somehow my favorite console, the SNES was MIA. To this day, I still don't remmeber whatever happened to it. Maybe it was donated, or traded in sometime back in the day. So I created an ebay account to buy a Super Nintendo, along with a copy of Super Mario World - another childhood favorite. Of course, SMRPG was a purchase that shortly followed.

Needless to say, this wonderful game still holds up today. In fact, I have recently decided to acknowledge it as my favorite video game of all time.  About two years ago, I was lucky enough to buy an orignal box and manual for it for a reasonable price. Every-time I pick up the box, a big smile comes out of me, much like the smile of that kid who saw the box for the first time in that small town video rental store.

What are your first memories with this game? Are you in the camp that wants a sequel / and or remake? Or do you believe its legendary charm of remaining as it is, is what makes it so special?

Happy 25th, Super Mario RPG!

Re: Super Mario RPG turns 25 today - some thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 01:44:41 pm »
This is one of those rare titles where I feel I have never seen anyone speak anything but great love and fondness for it. Like, even the most cold-hearted cynics that I personally know can't help but be charmed by SMRPG, while maybe pointing out that the only flaw is that it's a little too on the easy side.

I do think this is one game that Nintendo should probably not remake ever. I think it's very wise how they've handled keeping this game available in its original form on the eShop platforms and the SNES Mini. Leave this one alone as it is.

kashell

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 02:04:43 pm »
It's a wonderful game; colorful and jovial during every instance. Crazy that it's 25 years young.

I remember watching a friend play it and being pretty mesmerized by the presentation. He saved his game, restarted the SNES and started a new file for me to give it a try. I was hooked despite not fully understanding the idea of timed button presses until getting to around the point when Mallow joined. I was bummed that when the game ended after 15 - 20 hours. That was after doing everything, too.

The Axem Ranger fight is my favorite fight in the entire game. Of course, the fight against Culex was epic with FFIV's boss theme playing in the background but that was an optional encounter.

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 02:50:40 pm »
I adore the original game and I'm disappointed it never got a sequel with how good and original it was, especially with how close Nintendo and Square have been over the past number of years.  I would love a remake, remaster, or sequel for it.  Like I'm not as big on turn based games anymore, but I'd be all there for Super Mario RPG 2.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 05:47:11 pm »
I was very late to the party with this game as the first time I truly started playing was 2 years ago when I was on vacation. Where I was the internet was very limited and even though I brought a PSP Go with me to keep busy during down time, I suddenly felt the urge to wanting to play this game so with what I had, I managed to download a SNES emulator and rom file of the game on my phone and despite wrestling with touch screen controls, I was having a good time however I never did finish as I never went back to it after coming back despite trying to load up that save on an emu on my laptop to potentially continue where I left off. Which brings me to now since as we speak I have the game sitting in front on me on the Super NT in hopes to start again. That said Happy 25th to the Mario RPG made by Squaresoft. Just reading that sentence out loud is wild.

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 12:12:51 pm »
I got this game for Christmas like 12 Years ago my older brother got it for me when I stated collecting games as a hobby but I treasure the music in this game also has a Kick ass soundtrack as well but you are right about how people only speak well about this game and even Paper Mario  being I guess a spiritual successor lacked a lot of the SMRPG Aesthetic in a way both are their own in themselves but smrpg2 wouldn't be hated on at all just loved!!

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 12:56:44 pm »
This is one of my Top 5 games of all time.  One of, if not the first exposure I had to JRPG style combat. It still looks terrific, controls like a dream, and is funny as hell.  The spiritual successors are all good in their own ways, but not one comes close to the original.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 08:15:00 am by Cartagia »

mrkonasoni

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 01:23:35 am »
Sincerely Mario RPG is a good example what happens when a couple of the best developers at the time team-up for creating a game.

Mario RPG just has a pretty solid gameplay and the graphics at the time done a good job keeping the machine relevant careless consoles likes Saturn, PSX were out in the market.

And just like a bunch of people mentioned the characters and plot is just creative and good.

It's just that.
Mario RPG is a pretty memorable game.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

pzeke

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 08:14:09 am »
This and Chrono Trigger were the first RPGs I ever experienced; however, this one was the very first one.

I never finished it, and since it was my very first RPG, I kind of/sort of didn't know what I was doing, but I remember really liking and having a blast while playing it. Good times.

I adore the original game and I'm disappointed it never got a sequel with how good and original it was, especially with how close Nintendo and Square have been over the past number of years.  I would love a remake, remaster, or sequel for it.  Like I'm not as big on turn based games anymore, but I'd be all there for Super Mario RPG 2.

The relationship between SquareEnix and Nintendo seems to be in a good place now, so who knows... SMRPG2 was going to happen at one point in time, but instead we got Paper Mario, which wasn't at all a bad outcome. It would be nice to see a proper continuation of the original game, though, and I hope that we all can see that happening in our lifetime.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 03:40:06 pm »
It's a wonderful game; colorful and jovial during every instance. Crazy that it's 25 years young.

I remember watching a friend play it and being pretty mesmerized by the presentation. He saved his game, restarted the SNES and started a new file for me to give it a try. I was hooked despite not fully understanding the idea of timed button presses until getting to around the point when Mallow joined. I was bummed that when the game ended after 15 - 20 hours. That was after doing everything, too.

The Axem Ranger fight is my favorite fight in the entire game. Of course, the fight against Culex was epic with FFIV's boss theme playing in the background but that was an optional encounter.

Funny you mention the Axem Ranger fight; that was the only boss encounter to give me a LOT of trouble (well, not including Culex, who I never beat) and I had to redo it multiple times. It’s actually my LEAST favorite for that reason :p

I liked SMRPG, sure. Booster’s tower was always the most memorable part for me. It’s not close to my favorite RPGs on the SNES, but it’s still good.

mastodon

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2022, 02:46:37 am »
I really do need to try Mario RPG. I also need to try Kingdom Hearts. I'm a huge Square Soft fan. Somehow, I passed on these.

pzeke

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2022, 09:41:22 pm »
I really do need to try Mario RPG. I also need to try Kingdom Hearts. I'm a huge Square Soft fan. Somehow, I passed on these.

You're in for a ride! Kingdom Hearts is one of those series where playing every game is a must to understand the story, so your best bet is getting the All-in-One package.

In all honesty, though, the series peaked with the second game.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 01:40:24 am by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!