Author Topic: Prehistoric Dude, Gato Roboto and Cyber Shadow. (Mini Reviews)  (Read 854 times)

mrkonasoni

|KonamiCode + Start》》|

I always loved writing reviews for games I beat, but sincerely I don't believe some games deserve their own thread, instead I prefer this time and in future threads, include three different mini reviews from stuff I beat recently and I liked.

- So, what's on the menu today?

- Prehistoric Dude (PS4 version)
Genre: Platforming, 2D, Pixel-art

If you have played games published by Ratalaika Games, I want to believe you have clear expectations about what to expect, Prehistoric Dude is one of their classic "humble but fun/entertaining while last" game.

The story is about a caveman that loves eating his favorite food all days and needs to take it back from a T-rex that stole it.

Sincerely, everything from the game is pretty humble, most sprites are pretty standard and simple, the soundtrack is fine but I don't think it was exactly catchy, and the level design is mostly based around mazes rather than standard platforming with obstacles to sort, it's curious but the game indeed tries being a mini "Metroidvania" with skills and all that stuff.

Just a couple hours and the game is done, sincerely the game was entertaining, it had some moments of challenge and I don't know, there something with the humbleness of the game that I think worth the 2.5$ I paid for it, maybe is because I am believer that "Life could be so simple".

Prehistoric Man is a simple and short Metroidvania with humble but clear expectations, and I think that's completely fine, I liked it.

- Gato Roboto (Xbox One version)
Genre: Platforming, Metroidvania, 2D.

Gato Roboto is another of these Metroidvania games that last like 3 hours or 4 at worst and is obviously inspired by Metroid, but this time with a cutesy cat.

Just like the concept, the plot of the game is mostly comic but it does include a few serious moments.

If it wasn't clear at first sight, the graphics for the game are obviously inspired by a GameBoy palette, and indeed some of the unlockables are new colors for the palette that if I am sincerely make a really good job calling back that feeling of booting a Gameboy game on a Gameboy Color and pressing buttons for change the color palette.

Besides being an obviously game inspired by Metroid, the game has some interesting concepts I think are rather clever,  for example, while the main mechanic of the game is using the metal armor with the cat, sometimes the game will ask you for leave it behind for a while and just play with the cat without any sort of protection, this is interesting because the level design is built around what the armor is capable of doing and when is time for control just the cat, the game make a good job doing the basics for keeping the game challenging and well-designed.

Sincerely, while I believe the genre is getting saturated because the volume of games with the same concept is just getting ridiculous, I think Gato Roboto is a good game, besides a couple moments I felt the game was truly well designed and it did a great job making me feel like I was playing Metroid 2 but with a cat-skin, sometimes everything you need is a good level design, a well-executed concept and that's it, if you are fan of the genre, I recommend you take a look to Gato Roboto.

- Cyber Shadow. (Xbox One version)
Genre: 2D, Retro-looking, platforming, action.

Cyber Shadow is another 2D pixel-art game and yeah, I am aware it stop feeling interesting after a while, but I think Cyber Shadow is actually a great game that don't deserve being ignored.

Frankly, I think Cyber Shadow successfully achieves everything that it proposed itself as a game, the game is once again pixel-art but it's really high quality and above the average game with the same style, the animations are great, there a lot of cutscenes, multiple layers, colors, effects and more, I want to believe enthusiasts for pixel-art could think for Cyber Shadow as perfect example of pixel-art done great.

The music is also extremely good and whoever composed truly has a good understanding for musical theory and how to use correctly a chiptune synthesizer.

The story is fine, I like it and I think it ends well, besides the fact that I don't have big opinions about needing to read scattered backlogs in the levels for understand everything.

And finally while I consider Cyber Shadow a difficult game with a tight level design and boss fights, I never felt it was unfair and instead I felt the game reward the player for learning the mechanics and actually playing it smarty and paying attention instead of just hitting the attack button waiting for something to happen.

I consider Cyber Shadow a truly terrific game and I recommend playing it if you have the opportunity.

- Mission Complete -

That's all.
Thank you for reading.

- You are welcome to disagree with me and post your own thoughts about the games mentioned above no matter they are not positive at all.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Prehistoric Dude, Gato Roboto and Cyber Shadow. (Mini Reviews)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 12:58:04 pm »
I loved Cyber Shadow, until the final boss I can't beat. Which from my understanding opens up the game into a Metroidvania after that, so that sucks. I'd love to see that.

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 01:49:08 pm »
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,11423.0.html

There's a review thread here if you'd like to contribute your thoughts in there.
—Currently Playing—
Ace Attorney 4-5-6 (NS)
Raiden IV x Mikado (NS)

mrkonasoni

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 03:50:18 pm »
- Answering to @burningdoom

It took me 50 minutes beat the final boss, just like the rest of the game it become easier when you understand the patterns.
If you need some advices I recommend this.

- First boss.
- Don't use the sword, attack him with the charged projectiles from distance (Hold attack button + up), when he is not on screen, stay in the center of the screen and then run for avoid the lasers.

- Second boss.
- Don't attack the glass with your sword, use the projectile and then attack him with the sword.
The attack with 5 dark spheres always fall in the same position, for the one with the spheres that follow you, run at the edge of the platform and jump for avoid.

- Final boss.
Before he appears keep attacking for cheese the center ball till it burst and then proceed with the right and left one, for the fire rain attack don't jump, just walk, the same with the swords, when he goes upside and he start protecting himself after one attack, use the charge + down attack and the fire will actually reach him and hurt him

Try to keep the robot that recover your spirit and you are okay.

Good luck.
I know you can do it.

- Answering to @bunnybear

Thanks for the offer, I like your thread but I prefer doing my own threads for reviews.
Still I wish you the best with it and I am open to participate in the future with full reviews or at least, games I didn't brother to finish but I want to say something about it.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.