Author Topic: Opinion of the New Switch Model  (Read 2361 times)

aliensstudios

Re: Opinion of the New Switch Model
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2021, 06:00:33 pm »
It's maybe the most pointless hardware revision since the Wii Mini. I never use my Switch as a handheld anyway, so I don't see the appeal in spending 50 dollars more for a slightly better screen.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

pzeke

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2021, 06:48:30 pm »
Were there more than just these two because? I didnt really pay attention to the New 3DS exclusive titles so these are the primary 2 I am aware of.

Other than Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS Edition, the bulk of the titles exclusive to the system are digital releases, as raggerreadfish pointed out, none of which are truly anything to write home about.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2021, 07:01:10 pm »
Everyone and their mothers swore up and down that the Switch Pro was happening without any sort of merit based on rumors and now this happens and people are butthurt. Expectations were set too high.
They weren't too high, just too high for Nintendo. Expecting 4K upscaling or even HDR (2013 PS4 supports this) seems like a pretty reasonable expectation instead it has no internal upgrades at all.

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2021, 12:24:41 am »
It's maybe the most pointless hardware revision since the Wii Mini. I never use my Switch as a handheld anyway, so I don't see the appeal in spending 50 dollars more for a slightly better screen.

I'm the opposite with switch usage, where 90% of it is in handheld mode, but I'm of the same opinion. There's just no incentive or desire to upgrade.

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2021, 11:27:36 am »
Pretty much every other Nintendo revision in the past
A. Offered significant improvements or new features (GBA SP, New 3DS)
B. Offered a very different form factor (GB Micro, 3DS XL)
C. Was a budget option (Wii Mini, New 2DS XL)

The Switch OLED does not offer any significant new features or improvements since it only introduces a slightly improved screen and other very minor additions that most people probably wouldn't even notice. It does not have a very different form factor since the Joy Cons are the same and the unit is almost the same size as the original. And it's not a budget option either because it costs $50 more than the 4 year old base model.

I have absolutely no idea what the point of this thing is. This seems like Nintendo's most pointless hardware revision of all time, which is saying a lot.

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2021, 06:09:02 pm »
At the job I jokingly refer to the new Switch as the "Switch Vita" (because the Vita had a OLED screen back in 2011) and it's like if Nintendo wants the Switch to become a little more like the Vita.

But it's really just a way for us Vita fanboys to pretend the Vita didn't fail :'(
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

Flashback2012

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2021, 10:42:11 pm »
At the job I jokingly refer to the new Switch as the "Switch Vita" (because the Vita had a OLED screen back in 2011) and it's like if Nintendo wants the Switch to become a little more like the Vita.

But it's really just a way for us Vita fanboys to pretend the Vita didn't fail :'(

The Vita didn't fail! It...it just didn't succeed!  :P

As for this new Switch...underwhelming is the first term that comes to mind. Funny enough, someone like me could probably benefit from a bigger and brighter screen. I tried playing Bloodstained on vacation and could hardly make anything out.  :-\

sworddude

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2021, 04:36:55 am »

Vita who?  ;D
Your Stylish Sword Master!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2021, 09:06:31 pm »
Got my hopes up for nothing. I was going to buy one, but I’m going to hold out.
My fan is super-loud, so I was planning an upgrade. I’m just going to try to hold out until my day 1 Switch gives up the ghost.

aliensstudios

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2021, 09:56:37 pm »
I'm the opposite with switch usage, where 90% of it is in handheld mode, but I'm of the same opinion. There's just no incentive or desire to upgrade.
Seriously, the selling points are that it has an ever so slightly better screen and an ethernet jack? This should simply just be the new standard Switch console they ship and the original model should just stop being produced. Can you imagine if they charged 50 dollars more for a 1-Chip SNES console back in the day because the video is much sharper? Nintendo thinks it can just keep peddling out seven-year-old Wii U games, 5-15 year-old games from two generations ago, and old and tired Mario Party and sports games. That might satiate fanboys, but the Switch has become the least essential Nintendo console in my book since I supported the Wii U in its day.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 10:02:36 pm by aliensstudios »
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

pzeke

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2021, 02:34:00 am »
Seriously, the selling points are that it has an ever so slightly better screen and an ethernet jack? This should simply just be the new standard Switch console they ship and the original model should just stop being produced. Can you imagine if they charged 50 dollars more for a 1-Chip SNES console back in the day because the video is much sharper? Nintendo thinks it can just keep peddling out seven-year-old Wii U games, 5-15 year-old games from two generations ago, and old and tired Mario Party and sports games. That might satiate fanboys, but the Switch has become the least essential Nintendo console in my book since I supported the Wii U in its day.

It's easier to fool our customers than to convince them that they have been fooled.
- Nintendo channeling Mark Twain...maybe

The truth is we've never fooled anyone. We've let our customers fool themselves.
- Also Nintendo channeling Marilyn Monroe...probably

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

sworddude

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2021, 08:54:44 am »

Most people won't notice the difference between a regular and 1 chip if where talking image quality

let alone that a 1chip's full potential only works on pretty good crt tv's on most run of the mill crt screens there ain't going to be a difference between a 1chip and a regular snes.

Even on these pricy crt screens the difference is still pretty ignorable for a majority of people. There is a difference but only with the right equipment plus it being a pretty miniscule difference withouth a side by side comparison you might not even know what your missing. AGS 101 is a pretty decent improvent but the 1chip snes is one of the most tiny upgrades we got in a console ever. it's a good thing it was hidden cause because most consumers would feel ripped off at it looking identical if they had to pay more while it's the same grey block like always. as a bonus unlike the regular snes the 1 chip has grapical glitches at certain parts in some games wich is considered normal. aside from being a small upgrade you do have some incompatibility issues.

Still though the snes oled model costing 50$ more seems logical considering you got a better quality screen this ain't an lcd screen but it's an oled one in handheld mode the image is going to look better than the old switch thanks to this new screen. At the end of the day You got to see it as a fancy version if you'd like to splurge more it just looks more shiny don't allot of other products have more fancy versions aswell withouth any spec improvements it does look more luxurious after all? Nintendo never promised a switch pro that's what we thought because of the leaks. Still on the plus side you don't have to double dip especially if your a docked player anyway that's a win aswell I'd say.

not to shit on the wii u btw. but allot of the wii u games where not great I supported the wii u aswell.

Mario party 9 & 10 where bad, mario tennis ultra was really bad

Super mario party and this old school mario party are actually a return to former glory same for mario tennis aces. VS play is even better than power tennis.

And let's not forget the big fish Mario odyssey and smash ultimate being a hell lot superior than what we got on Wii u. The new stuff that we got on switch is pretty nice compared to the mediocre slob that the wii u has given us. instead of the slow pace of brawl that we got in smash 4. It's more towards smash bros melee in speed now plus brand new mechanics that are fun.

Fire emblem tokyo mirage on wii u vs an actual fire emblem game in 3 houses on switch.
Or what about stuff like SMT V and nocturne. Animal crossing amiibo cash grab vs actual animal crossin game on switch. Where getting 2 brand new metroid games on switch.

paper mario color splash almost considered the bottom of the barrel vs decent paper mario game on switch in origami king, What kirby game did wii u got again? Some tech demo vs kirby all star allies on switch. What amazing stuff did we get on wii u again? We got so many heavy hit releases on switch. There was rarely anything to be excited about on wii u and what we got with few exceptions was just acceptable but not to special wich I'd expect from Nintendo.

tropical freeze, xenoblade x and toad treasure trackers are not worthwhile compared to the new stuff we got on switch. I'm being scammed if I'd pick those titles over what the switch has to offer in terms of new stuff. (2 got ported but just for the sake of giving some examples of the wii u getting us some new decent stuff)

What are the arguments for the switch not being essential? Sure it got allot of the wii u games ported, But it got allot of brand new titles that are actually Pretty great entries in the series unlike most wii u games wich where pretty generic for Nintendo standards. indi game support is killing it on switch aswell and you can play games in handheld mode. Switch got more brand new stuff than wii u ports. It has definitely surpassed the wii u in brand new 1st party content at this point and it's only growing.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 04:30:50 pm by sworddude »

telly

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2021, 05:14:46 pm »
I think the indie games available on the Switch alone make it worth owning alongside a Wii U if we put the first-party offerings aside for a second.

But I will definitely agree that the Switch overall has much less value if you have a decent Wii U library already. There's just so much overlap between the Switch and Wii U, with a significant portion of Nintendo's first party lineup on the Switch being either sequels with marginal improvements (Splatoon 2, SSB Ultimate, Mario Maker 2, Yoshi's Crafted World, Mario Tennis Aces), or just the straight up ports from the Wii U.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

sworddude

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2021, 05:46:54 pm »
I think the indie games available on the Switch alone make it worth owning alongside a Wii U if we put the first-party offerings aside for a second.

But I will definitely agree that the Switch overall has much less value if you have a decent Wii U library already. There's just so much overlap between the Switch and Wii U, with a significant portion of Nintendo's first party lineup on the Switch being either sequels with marginal improvements (Splatoon 2, SSB Ultimate, Mario Maker 2, Yoshi's Crafted World, Mario Tennis Aces), or just the straight up ports from the Wii U.

how is smash ultimate different compared to any other smash game in the series, Just like any other smash game it did swap up the mechanics  it's totally different compared to smash 4 i don't see how the title is less unique.

Also mario tennis ultra was legitmately a bad entry in the series while tennis aces is one of the best with great mechanics on par with power tennis. these are not marginal improvements. the mechanics in the wii u mario tennis where terrible

Also if where talking sequels isn't that what happens on almost any console ever? If a series done well it gets a sequel. i don't see how the switch having sequels is a bad thing. Sequels are not a rare thing how is it that different on switch

Also at this point the Switch does have more 1st party content including non sequels than what the wii u had. so it's really just bonus material at this point. Nintendo suddenly porting games from last gen systems starting with the switch has rubbed people the wrong way it seems

Sony and microsft have done that for decades already.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 06:52:01 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2021, 06:00:19 pm »
I think the indie games available on the Switch alone make it worth owning alongside a Wii U if we put the first-party offerings aside for a second

1000%.