Author Topic: Salvaging water damaged cases and cover art PS2 is it possible?  (Read 1473 times)

Unfortunately renting has its good and bad sides, one of the negatives being when it started raining the other day and rain got into the basement a few of the large cardboard boxes that I was storing a large number of games had gotten wet. After taking a look at the contents of what actually got wet which was maybe 3 boxes, and then the games inside about 1 box with mostly Playstation 2 games inside my question is aside from letting the cases with the artwork dry does anyone have any methods in making the front covers or artwork look better?

Since the games in this one box were all complete most of them only got water on the outside meaning the DVD's and the manuals were fine, however a few assorted game boxes got soaked like Tales of Phantasia and Final Fantasy IV Advance and brand new Super Bonk for the SNES which I threw out [Except for Super Bonk and as for the GBA games the cartridges were in another box]

So far I removed the front covers from the actual PS2 cases and let everything dry, and purchased some plastic storage containers to replace what I was storing them in. The actual water was basically outside rain water, in other words not from a broken pipe or anything like that.
I have a feeling the game cases are going to have that crappy wrinkled damaged look however I wanted to see if maybe anything I could do to make them closer to what they were before.

sworddude

Re: Salvaging water damaged cases and cover art PS2 is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 05:44:45 am »
Your out of luck I'd say, you can't fix that gotto accept the looks of it or try and find a non water damaged copy.

You can only salvage it a little bit in the beginning when it got wet but afterwards not much you can do about it
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 05:48:10 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 10:49:37 am »
Best you can do is remove the paper artwork from cover to dry so they don't stick to the plastic case. I always wondered if carefully ironing would help get out the wrinkles but never tried it.Mabey through a bed sheet?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 10:53:10 am by wartoy »

sworddude

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 12:06:17 pm »
This is paper where talking about. once water is inside it has changed the texture of the material you can't really bring it back closer to it's original state aside from getting the water out of there as soon as possible to minimize the damage done.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Warmsignal

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 09:06:25 pm »
The iron might work. Never tried it. I wouldn't throw the entire Bonk game out. Even if it's got corrosion, that can be brushed off and it'll probably still play.