Author Topic: Kabul just fell to the Taliban  (Read 1591 times)

Kabul just fell to the Taliban
« on: August 15, 2021, 08:52:50 am »
What now?

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

Re: Kabul just fell to the Taliban
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 02:26:32 pm »
I watched the news on YouTube this morning. Apparently some people had fled their homes in the countryside to get to the capital city, but now even that is under taliban rule, so they essentially lost everything, even their freedom. The current Afghan government said they wanted a "peaceful transfer of power" pretty much saying that they are giving up against the Talibans.

At least my own country's invasion has already happened, yet our assimilation has so far failed. So I'm hopeful for the Afghan resistance but still, we never know how long the talibans will hold on to power. Could be as short as a few months or as long as a century, but it's up to the Afghan civilians to resist their invaders just like my ancestors have resisted despite being under foreign rule for 250 years.
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 04:17:49 pm »
It's terrible, but seeing that very few were willing to fight, it was inevitable that the Taliban was going to take over.  A slip back into the dark ages there.

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 08:33:44 pm »
I watched the news on YouTube this morning. Apparently some people had fled their homes in the countryside to get to the capital city, but now even that is under taliban rule, so they essentially lost everything, even their freedom. The current Afghan government said they wanted a "peaceful transfer of power" pretty much saying that they are giving up against the Talibans.

At least my own country's invasion has already happened, yet our assimilation has so far failed. So I'm hopeful for the Afghan resistance but still, we never know how long the talibans will hold on to power. Could be as short as a few months or as long as a century, but it's up to the Afghan civilians to resist their invaders just like my ancestors have resisted despite being under foreign rule for 250 years.
The Taliban outlasted the invaders.

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 10:05:21 pm »
I'm friends with about half a dozen Iraq and Afghanistan war vets and they're all pissed, disillusioned or sad about it. And frankly I don't blame them. They watched their friends get killed or injured, they have PTSD and all kinds of other problems following their deployments, and every order and every moral booster to "free the people of Afghanistan" was for nothing. Some of them have been very vocal about this since yesterday and it makes me wonder what's going to happen from this backlash. Afghanistan is more or less in the same place it was in 2001, probably way worse if anything.

sworddude

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 08:03:07 am »

Wich country was that if I may ask.

Still last time I checked Didn't the US train 300K soldiers and given them plenty of equipment and training to fight back for 20 years? I could be wrong but isn't that army size larger than that of the taliban wich was 200K big if I'm not mistaken? heck if where talking more recent articles it was estimated well below 100K army size. What happened here?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 09:32:39 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Flashback2012

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 01:19:04 pm »
Still last time I checked Didn't the US train 300K soldiers and given them plenty of equipment and training to fight back for 20 years? I could be wrong but isn't that army size larger than that of the taliban wich was 200K big if I'm not mistaken? heck if where talking more recent articles it was estimated well below 100K army size. What happened here?

Corruption. The money intended to pay soldiers never ended up in their hands. Corruption from the top down ensured those at the top got their cut and by the time it trickled to the soldiers and everyday layman there was nothing left to give. Most of them just dropped their arms and switch sides as at least the Taliban would pay them something.

I knew the situation was f'ed years back when Hamid Karzai (former pres) went on TV and was like "Thank you CIA" while holding briefcases of money. This continued after he was out and the puppet government always was just an elaborate house of cards. Go look at the video the Taliban released where they had captured that General's mansion. Utter opulence where clearly no expense was spared. That money should have went to his people/soldiers and instead he lived like a king.

It's important to note that they've said the Afghans do not have that sense of nationalism as most are tribal so defending the sanctity of the country just wasn't a big thing for them.  :P

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 01:55:35 pm »

Corruption. The money intended to pay soldiers never ended up in their hands. Corruption from the top down ensured those at the top got their cut and by the time it trickled to the soldiers and everyday layman there was nothing left to give. Most of them just dropped their arms and switch sides as at least the Taliban would pay them something.

I knew the situation was f'ed years back when Hamid Karzai (former pres) went on TV and was like "Thank you CIA" while holding briefcases of money. This continued after he was out and the puppet government always was just an elaborate house of cards. Go look at the video the Taliban released where they had captured that General's mansion. Utter opulence where clearly no expense was spared. That money should have went to his people/soldiers and instead he lived like a king.

It's important to note that they've said the Afghans do not have that sense of nationalism as most are tribal so defending the sanctity of the country just wasn't a big thing for them.  :P

That's horrible well at least the take over makes allot more sense than considering the Taliban would have outnumbered them big time plus being more well equipped. Fighting them would have been certain death with very low odds of succes.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 02:18:53 pm »
Off topic. You should be banned.

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2021, 02:59:23 pm »

Banning Seether is something I'd love to see, but he is posting this in the Off Topic section so I don't see what the problem is.

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 03:36:36 pm »

Banning Seether is something I'd love to see, but he is posting this in the Off Topic section so I don't see what the problem is.
So much hate festering inside you both. Fight me IRL

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2021, 05:40:55 pm »
It was inevitable. You'd think we would have learned from the Vietnam or Soviet–Afghan War

tripredacus

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2021, 10:35:48 am »

Wich country was that if I may ask.

My first thought is when Britain invaded French Canada.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Years%27_War#North_America

Maybe he means something else.

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2021, 04:17:52 pm »

My first thought is when Britain invaded French Canada.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Years%27_War#North_America

Maybe he means something else.

Exactly. But to be honest I've never met a fellow Canadian who was rude to me, as a Québécois. If Québec is to become independent I genuinely wish Canada to be our #1 ally. Still, lots of people still don't realise we exist and that Canada is a multicultural country. Unfortunately there's a huge cultural appropriation going on and the federal government is doing all it can to make sure we don't attempt to secede again like all the attempts that have happened in the last 60 years. At some point it was even found out that Canada wanted to invade Québec if we were to ever secede (Operation Neat Pitch) but the documents were leaked and the federal government censored everything about the whole story as to not cause a national crisis.

However there's still a lot of misconceptions about us. One thing that I've often heard is the "language police" thing. First time a foreigner asked me about the language police I was like  ??? dafuq? Québec's official language is French so of course all text, signs, products, e.t.c. have to be in French for the population to understand. I suppose some people took articles like "Shop owner forced to change public signs from English to French" or "Retailer fined for selling packagings without French translation" and used that to start that "language police" rumor. Another thing is that Canada will say "ohh we're SO sorry for what WE have done in the past" i.e. wiping out the natives or other crimes against humanity, but since we are part of Canada that would include us Québécois. Except this is not true because before we were invaded we were the only american colony to have zero history of slavery as well as zero history of stealing native's lands (we did fight against the Iroquois at some point but it was due to our alliance with the Algonquins, it was never for land appropriation nor extermination).

But it's usually the federal government and a very small minority of anglophone ultranationalists that tend to talk crap on Québec. All english Canadians I've personally met were super nice and they all have my respects.

What has Seether done?  ???
If he's not breaking forum rules I don't see a problem. So far I didn't notice anything morally wrong with his posts, or am I missing something?
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

Warmsignal

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2021, 03:21:27 pm »
Well, technically it is a political thread, or at least begs some kind of a policy debate.

I'm more convinced than anything that Seether is more interested with perhaps anything else in the world, other than video games. You see the majority of him when it comes to the most random of topics.