Author Topic: Fixing a CD  (Read 1785 times)

teknophyl

Fixing a CD
« on: May 04, 2012, 03:37:04 pm »
I got a copy of Parasite Eve which had disc shields on them. I peeled one, and it took some of the top label off. I fear I am scroooood, but has anyone done this before and known how to fix?

Playing - KOTOR, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga

dstone

PRO Supporter

Re: Fixing a CD
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 04:11:41 pm »
When you say it took part of the top label off, does that mean you can see through the disc in that area? No more silver foil in that spot on the bottom? If that's the case, the disc is now a coaster.

teknophyl

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 04:37:40 pm »
Here's what it looks like: http://pic.twitter.com/uTGCs00A

Ah crap, I held it up to the light and I *can* see through it... sigh

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 04:42:26 pm »
I've never dealt with this kind of damage on Playstation discs before, so keep in mind I'm not exactly an expert or anything.  Bit difficult to tell from the photo if the data layer's been damaged or not.

Have you happened to try it since the damage?

teknophyl

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 04:54:26 pm »
I've never dealt with this kind of damage on Playstation discs before, so keep in mind I'm not exactly an expert or anything.  Bit difficult to tell from the photo if the data layer's been damaged or not.

Have you happened to try it since the damage?

Oh yes - the disc won't read. I found something online that instructed me to color the area with a whiteboard marker and cover it with masking tape, but that didn't work. I imagine the damage wasn't as extensive as this.

matt

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 10:37:05 pm »
The top label of the disc if actually what acts as a mirror for the label to bounce off of. Once that label is gone or scratches, you are SOL.

ffxik

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 06:17:07 am »
I actually had a copy of Final Fantasy Tactics with over half if the label scrapped off.  The only difference is that the foil data layer was still intact.  As I'm sure you probably aware of by this point, that disc is gone.  There is no repairing damage to that extent. 

I have several game with those plastic disc shields on them.  I am sorry to report that I have not found a safe way to remove them though.  Since they're not paper oils and the like do not penetrate to the adhesive to safely remove them. 

An absolutely sad day when some idiot thought those were a good idea.