Author Topic: Will the surge in prices cool off or do you expect it to last years?  (Read 2129 times)

sworddude

Re: Will the surge in prices cool off or do you expect it to last years?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2021, 10:43:49 am »

Like Beanie Babies or Pogs.  Us real collectors are still gonna be around after the posers move on to the next big thing.

I have to believe that, or I'll lose my mind.  And then who'll look after my Tick pogs?

Can we really compare it to those fads

beanie babies or pogs have no substance it's pretty much only to collect. aside from the looks what's so memorable about them. What are you going to do with those aside from looking at them. With games you can play them, gaming in general is one more fun passing times. Looking at pogs and beanie babies gotto be near the bottom of the list of having a fun time aside from collecting them.

Games have music fun gameplay multiplayer in some occasions excellent stories wich result in pretty in nice memories. Heck 2d games today are even playable among the younger generations that didn't even grow up with it.

I don't think there is a comparison because games where never there to be a collectable. It ain't even their main thing. Games have to much going for them to be compared to actual fads like beanie babies. Iconic mascots from Nintendo definitely help aswell.

Agreed. I get the sentiment of people who say this but the "Funko pops and Video Games are the next beanie baby" argument I always hear doesn't hold weight. I mean beanie babies were heavily commercialized and pointless stuffed animals that have already existed for millenia. Once the intial fun wore off you were left with nothing. Video games fall more into the comics and vinyl territory. When they become less desirable in collectibility like you said their will always be a old man wanting to listen to a vinyl for sound alone, a geek wanting to relive his childhood through comics and a e reader just wont do :)  If not for money or collecting. Video games have a physical significance and can be played. Pogs were literally cardboard circles lol. Although pogs have gone up in desirability so I wouldn't sleep on their nostalgia factor.

I'd say funko pops are in the beanie babies pogs fad.

The only thing that is probably keeping it afloat atm is that the pops are based on iconic series. so you will probably always have some demand for those. But if you ignore that they just look nice on the shelves.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2021, 01:18:46 pm »
I maintain that the beady-eyed abominations that are Funko Pops are popular because for many franchises/characters they're the only collectible in town.

sworddude

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2021, 03:56:06 pm »
I maintain that the beady-eyed abominations that are Funko Pops are popular because for many franchises/characters they're the only collectible in town.

Didn't think about niche series with almost no merch. But that's a solid thing in the case of funko's aswell.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 04:13:45 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2021, 04:45:45 pm »

Like Beanie Babies or Pogs.  Us real collectors are still gonna be around after the posers move on to the next big thing.

I have to believe that, or I'll lose my mind.  And then who'll look after my Tick pogs?

beanie babies or pogs have no substance it's pretty much only to collect. aside from the looks what's so memorable about them. What are you going to do with those aside from looking at them. With games you can play them, gaming in general is one more fun passing times. Looking at pogs and beanie babies gotto be near the bottom of the list of having a fun time aside from collecting them.

Games have music fun gameplay multiplayer in some occasions excellent stories wich result in pretty in nice memories. Heck 2d games today are even playable among the younger generations that didn't even grow up with it.

I don't think there is a comparison because games where never there to be a collectable. It ain't even their main thing. Games have to much going for them to be compared to actual fads like beanie babies. Iconic mascots from Nintendo definitely help aswell.

Agreed. I get the sentiment of people who say this but the "Funko pops and Video Games are the next beanie baby" argument I always hear doesn't hold weight. I mean beanie babies were heavily commercialized and pointless stuffed animals that have already existed for millenia. Once the intial fun wore off you were left with nothing. Video games fall more into the comics and vinyl territory. When they become less desirable in collectibility like you said their will always be a old man wanting to listen to a vinyl for sound alone, a geek wanting to relive his childhood through comics and a e reader just wont do :)  If not for money or collecting. Video games have a physical significance and can be played. Pogs were literally cardboard circles lol. Although pogs have gone up in desirability so I wouldn't sleep on their nostalgia factor.

The only thing that is probably keeping it afloat atm is that the pops are based on iconic series. so you will probably always have some demand for those. But if you ignore that they just look nice on the shelves.

Funko pops are licensed pop culture icons, no matter who you are their is something to love from Schitt's Creek to a can of spam. So the liklihood of them being a fad is about as much as the thriller jacket or nostalgia itself being a fad lol.  Just because you don't play with it doesn't mean its pogs. Tom McFarlane with less market saturation and way more niche categories has stood on every comic geek shelf with a figure for years.  Hot wheels anyone?   These things hit the fornula give them commons for the casuals. Rares for the nerds and then if all else fails?

Bring them to comic con

Ahhh comic con. Where over a 4th of a million geeks show upndressed like Tom Holland and buy anything that isn't bolted to the ground with chains and restraints.

Oh and they're numbered. They have sticker variants and exclusives to like 50 stores. Have been around for like a decade and have literal theme parks in their likeness.

Pops are as forever as games and comics. But that's just my opinion :)

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2021, 04:52:00 pm »

sworddude

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2021, 07:14:33 pm »

Funko pops are licensed pop culture icons, no matter who you are their is something to love from Schitt's Creek to a can of spam. So the liklihood of them being a fad is about as much as the thriller jacket or nostalgia itself being a fad lol.  Just because you don't play with it doesn't mean its pogs. Tom McFarlane with less market saturation and way more niche categories has stood on every comic geek shelf with a figure for years.  Hot wheels anyone?   These things hit the fornula give them commons for the casuals. Rares for the nerds and then if all else fails?

Bring them to comic con

Ahhh comic con. Where over a 4th of a million geeks show upndressed like Tom Holland and buy anything that isn't bolted to the ground with chains and restraints.

Oh and they're numbered. They have sticker variants and exclusives to like 50 stores. Have been around for like a decade and have literal theme parks in their likeness.

Pops look ugly as sin. Not to mention if where talking the big ip's high quality figurines exist. It's beyond me how it is staying relevant for this long. Considering even pops of these big ip's sell well it ain't just the series with no merch other than funko's

« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 07:17:35 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2021, 02:17:45 am »

Bring them to comic con

Pops look ugly as sin. Not to mention if where talking the big ip's high quality figurines exist. It's beyond me how it is staying relevant for this long. Considering even pops of these big ip's sell well it ain't just the series with no merch other than funko's

Pops look ugly to some and cute to others. I land on the cute side. But I speak with bias of someone who collects over 350 pops and actively enjoy them more than most other hobbys. They last because they are simply cool. Collectible. Tap into our obsession with pop culture and are so broad. Name one collectible figure as broad? Amiibos stuck with Nintendo. Even McFarlane mostly did super heros and athletes. But funko? You can buy literally a can of spam and a former president in the same order and have room left for a dorbz.  Now if you find pops "ugly as sin" say that to dorbz lol. Just look at the little cuties  ;D

https://images.app.goo.gl/TkpmMWD9YH41H8Gy7
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 02:24:18 am by marvelvscapcom2 »

armani

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2021, 04:16:14 pm »
just like what happened with the atari bubble, the more common stuff will become cheaper and cheaper and the rarer titles will still fetch a pretty penny.

though not too sure about these next generations of retro games because they are far more playable so this might not be the case.

sworddude

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2021, 08:57:28 am »
just like what happened with the atari bubble, the more common stuff will become cheaper and cheaper and the rarer titles will still fetch a pretty penny.

though not too sure about these next generations of retro games because they are far more playable so this might not be the case.

if it was anything like atari the bubble should have popped for nes and snes already quite some years ago. To much time has already gone by to say it's the same as atari.

Seems to be a lingering interest compared to atari. it also isn't helping How more people know that Nes and snes games exist thanks to current gen services such as nintendo advertising NSO online with the nes snes sega and n64 libraries.

It might cool off but it ain't going to burst and become cheap like atari. Low odds of that happening anytime soon.

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2021, 11:10:40 am »
From here in my territory, things seem to have stalled quite a bit, but even still, some people are not willing to let it go and start to be a bit less “eBay”-ish.
Given that I collect mostly stuff from JP regions(for example, PC games that have a 0% probabilities of existing outside Japan or maybe they get localised in Korean/Chinese, officially speaking), it’s not affecting me but I can see real cases of burnout from both sides, from people who actively collect and trade, and from people who don’t collect so much and just trades/sells more over last years.

In short, more like a bubble... seems this is just users and resellers struggling to keep things the same, thinking there is the same amount of people aiming for a “fullset” or buying like earlier days where anything was being bought with less conscience if they really wanted that game/guide/etc miscellaneous related to those games, rather than understanding that there is also now more users and buyers that are more selective with what they want in their collections.

So this so called “stalled” status is generated, with the intention to make it go back where it was, without dropping the “items” pricing. But idc as I said before, nobody forces you to buy a game for X amount, if you think is too much, then... Let it be. Let it sit there, or come up with a possibility to get it, as nobody can guarantee that it will stay, nor even if after that one another will come for higher or lower.

-rockleevk
PS: sorry for the sudden long wall-of-text.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 11:13:33 am by rockleevk »