Author Topic: Are Details within the Databse being deleted?  (Read 2418 times)

Re: Are Details within the Databse being deleted?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2021, 07:53:57 am »
Not to dig up a dead horse (Or pig for that matter) but I looked back to the Hogs of War listing I referenced before and once again all the details for the listing have returned to N/A. I saw this was the case with the PS4 LE of Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster too, so it's still happening. I'll redo Hogs of War again and see if it resets at a later date:
https://vgcollect.com/item/50369
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 08:01:04 am by vivigamer »

tripredacus

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2021, 09:47:19 am »
The only "stealth" edits that can be done (where no attribution is made on the history tab) is the removal of pictures. Potentially Dev/Pub is also technically possible.... But other things that are in fields, if info was removed it would have a name on it if a person did it.

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2021, 04:43:38 pm »
I've seen worse examples

English boxed copies turned into german spanish or french box versions including region and pictures.

Im kinda new to the database, been here about a year now.  But ive found this is an issue in the PS2 EU releases. Alot of mis-filed editions under the wrong country within the EU.  Many barcodes and pics are wrong from my experience.

Ive been adding alot of images from my own collection to try to correct these errors but sometimes admin dont accept my proposed changes.

dhaabi

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2021, 06:54:49 pm »
Im kinda new to the database, been here about a year now.  But ive found this is an issue in the PS2 EU releases. Alot of mis-filed editions under the wrong country within the EU.  Many barcodes and pics are wrong from my experience.

Ive been adding alot of images from my own collection to try to correct these errors but sometimes admin dont accept my proposed changes.

I intended to message you after rejecting several of your edit submissions yesterday, but I decided to take the time to clean up one of the items in detail and forgot to do so. That being said, you'll be happy to find out that SingStar Rock Ballads was cleaned up by properly identifying regional versions from another. The immediate reason why your submissions were rejected was due to users originally submitting entries with little to no information that properly identify an item from another. At minimum, the ideal newly-submitted entry should be submitted with at least the Barcode field entered (if present.)

I'll message you now to see what other entries need amending, as I don't remember what other entries I rejected.

I've seen worse examples

English boxed copies turned into german spanish or french box versions including region and pictures.

While tripredacus has already responded to this long ago, I would like to add that an entry's identity is related to what information the entry was submitted with. For instance, if a [FR] item was submitted without images and no other information aside from [FR] barcode and was then later on approved to feature [DE] artwork and other details, the entry should ideally be amended to properly represent the [FR] item. Whether or not your examples were the scenario that I presented with, I don't know. However, limiting these kinds of errors and errors to-be all relies in submitting quality entries. Personally, when confronting any sort of potential identity-changing submitted edit for [EU] items, I always check to make sure the changes aren't in error. Too many mixed-matched entries already existing within the database, and I'd like to help by not contributing more.

tripredacus

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2021, 09:37:54 am »
One of the main reasons I have noticed regarding EU entries is the result of people using images from Gamefaqs. A lot of their EU box art entries will be of any number of EU releaes, sometimes with a front and back from different countries. While Gamefaqs is still a good source of info and pictures, always be careful of their box arts for EU releases. Always try to confirm that the release is actually correct before using their pictures.

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2021, 01:05:15 pm »
The immediate reason why your submissions were rejected was due to users originally submitting entries with little to no information that properly identify an item from another. At minimum, the ideal newly-submitted entry should be submitted with at least the Barcode field entered (if present.)

I'll message you now to see what other entries need amending, as I don't remember what other entries I rejected.

I cant remember off the top of my head which specific submissions were rejected incorrectly in my opinion but i can try to explain with more detail what i think is wrong.

Basically the UK has its own Age Classifications for Movies & Videogames, so when u see that UK symbol on the box (the game front cover) then you know the game is a UK release.  The ESPL rating is European under the EU.  Obviously most games are released in English across Europe and therefore its easy to mix these up.  The vast majority of games released in the UK have the ESPL rating and the UK authorities are fine with that and dont interfere and dont add their own classification... but some games have been designated their own UK rating.  Which makes them a UK only release because this rating is not accepted in other countries (to my knowledge).

As a collector i try to find both versions of the same game but they dont always exist.

Interestingly it appears that videogames based on movies & TV have the UK rating - The Thing / The Matrix / The Incredibles / Mr Bean / Spongebob. Although there are some exceptions to this - Metal Gear Solid / Grand Theft Auto - who have the UK rating but no movie/TV release.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 01:16:08 pm by endemonadia »

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2021, 01:13:27 pm »
Further to the above point is the issue of barcodes.

Basically a barcode on your database is finding itself on more than one entry.  For example the UK release, the EU release, the Platinum release etc.  And yet they all have their own unique barcodes.  So it appears to me that some barcode amendments have been rejected as you are believeing that one barcode on one release is the only correct barcode across all versions of the game.

The only barcode amendments i submit are from games that i am literally holding in my hand so i know theyre correct.

I mean ive even seen game releases that do not have a barcode in the back art image due to being included in a game bundle and yet a barcode appears in the database.  Either the backbox art is incorrect or the barcode needs to be removed.

I hope this helps :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 01:19:19 pm by endemonadia »

tripredacus

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2021, 01:57:13 pm »
Neither the rating nor the barcode thing is definitive, in other words you are correct sometimes but not all of the time. There are instances where the same barcode is used in different countries. As far as I can tell, the usage of barcode seems to be relating to the publisher, and a publisher may not opt for a new barcode in another country if it doesn't have to. So try to remember to never expect that the barcode is going to be different because sometimes it isn't.

For rating, again it depends. Sometimes a publisher may decide to release the UK version to EU, or not make a separate version for EU and UK and then the EU version is the same and has the BBFC rating. There are also times where a publisher does it the opposite way, where the version sold in UK is the "EU" version and thus has the ELPSA rating on it and no BBFC rating. The instances beyond that is when a publisher or distributor uses BBFC rating labels on EU/ELSPA rated titles.

In any case, as for rejects it depends on the particular instance. If you submit and edit and it gets rejected post into the Listing Error thread:
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,10555.0.html
Put the item link in the post, and what you tried to change (and to what) and then we can review it and say why it happened. Sometimes it happens by mistake, or sometimes because we need to research it for later and reject it so it doesn't stay in the queue. Other times it is because previous info on the entry prohibits changing the data you tried to put.

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2021, 09:18:11 pm »
Neither the rating nor the barcode thing is definitive, in other words you are correct sometimes but not all of the time. There are instances where the same barcode is used in different countries.

As i said above, im literally holding the games from each of these releases so i can see theyre different.  I only post a change when i have it in my hands.  Therefore, i can see when a barcode is incorrectly used for multiple releases.

Ofc sometimes the same barcode is used for multiple releases, and again, if i have both in my hands and theyre the same then i dont post an amendment on the database.

For rating, again it depends. Sometimes a publisher may decide to release the UK version to EU, or not make a separate version for EU and UK and then the EU version is the same and has the BBFC rating. There are also times where a publisher does it the opposite way, where the version sold in UK is the "EU" version and thus has the ELPSA rating on it and no BBFC rating. The instances beyond that is when a publisher or distributor uses BBFC rating labels on EU/ELSPA rated titles.

Im not sure this is correct.  My understanding is that the Official Certification Office themselves will decide whether to certify a game or not, not the publisher.  Thats why videogames that are also movies will automatically get the UK movie certification for UK release (as i state above).  Its not a coincidence that all games based on movies have a separate UK release, surely thats the UK Certification Office instructing them to do so.  So the Publisher has no choice, if they want to sell the game in the UK they must apply for a UK certification.

And it looks like big game releases like Metal Gear and GTA have UK certification, maybe this is because the Certification Office demands to check and certify the game before they allow UK release?

Just my thoughts ;)

dhaabi

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2021, 05:24:21 pm »
I cant remember off the top of my head which specific submissions were rejected incorrectly in my opinion but i can try to explain with more detail what i think is wrong.

As previously mentioned, you are welcome to re-submit the proposed edits or post in the Error listings and rejected edits thread. If you are having trouble recalling which entries you previously attempted to edit, you can view your edit history at the top-right of your account homepage which should give you insight.

Neither the rating nor the barcode thing is definitive, in other words you are correct sometimes but not all of the time. There are instances where the same barcode is used in different countries.

As i said above, im literally holding the games from each of these releases so i can see theyre different.  I only post a change when i have it in my hands.  Therefore, i can see when a barcode is incorrectly used for multiple releases.

I understand that the information you're sharing is correct for the item you possess. However, whether or not this information corresponds to the particular entry you're editing is what is being brought attention to here. When entries are later edited post-submission, the original intent of what that entry was to represent needs to be upheld. This is to prevent entries from being converted in subtle ways such as "Super Mario 64 [DE]" to "Super Mario 64 [FR]" or, in more extreme cases, "Super Mario 64 [DE]" to "NFL 2K20" in a NA category.