Author Topic: The Best Metroidvanias  (Read 3227 times)

Re: The Best Metroidvanias
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2021, 02:20:08 pm »
I don't generally like the genre tbh but one game that has a familiar tone and gameplay style in Pandroa's Tower for the Wii - It does feature some motion controls but nothing too intrusive. The concept revolves around you looking after your partner who is cursed and needs to eat certain flesh from bosses within mystical towers. As you progress the towers, you'll unlock easier ways to backtrack by knocking down ladders etc. But this is relevant than mere exploration as you're required after a certain amount of time to return to your partner and give her food/flesh for her illness (I think if I remember right it's not just bosses but they're the main ones for the story progression). It was a decent game and I believe depending on how kind you were to your partner throughout the game will affect the ending you get. I hope it doesn't remain imprisoned on the Wii for ever...

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2021, 12:40:58 pm »
I just started Timespinner last night and it’s REALLY good.
I can see the heavy Castlevania influence, especially in the orb combat system which feels almost identical to Order of Ecclesia, but that’s definitely not a bad thing.

kypherion

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2021, 11:17:32 am »
Everyone snagged most of the one's I'd recommend besides Touhou Luna Nights. Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth (also made by PLAYISM) is a great one as well.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2021, 11:19:34 am »
Everyone snagged most of the one's I'd recommend besides Touhou Luna Nights. Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth (also made by PLAYISM) is a great one as well.

I am counting down the days left until Record of Lodoss War releases on consoles. Looks a lot like the Castlevania games and I'm a fan of the source material.

kypherion

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2021, 11:30:07 am »

I am counting down the days left until Record of Lodoss War releases on consoles. Looks a lot like the Castlevania games and I'm a fan of the source material.

I unfortunately never got into the RoLW series source material, but the game is a blast. I got it early access from way back and the game is now a very polished product featuring extras like a Bestiary and other goodies to unlock. Some people have even compared Deedlit to Alucard. Overall, it's a blast, and I hope you'll enjoy it! If you haven't played Touhou Luna Nights, I recommend that too. It's like Castlevania's timestop but you have it from the get-go and the way Playism makes use of the timestop mechanics is incredible.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 11:33:31 am by kypherion »
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2021, 09:56:02 am »
The new free update for Blasphemous is available. Downloaded it last night and couldn’t wait to start a new game. Not having played it in a while, I went in pumped and cocky and almost died a couple of times; this game will beat your ass to pulp if you’re not careful.
But, such is the will of the Grievous Miracle  ;D

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2021, 11:23:51 am »
Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth is available on consoles starting today!

Looks to be very Castlevania inspired gameplay based on the anime.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2021, 05:16:28 pm »
Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth is available on consoles starting today!

Looks to be very Castlevania inspired gameplay based on the anime.
Nice, I’ve heard some good things about that game.

Also, Momodora is currently on sale on PSN, for something like $4.99.