Author Topic: Consoles you had the most and least fun collecting for?  (Read 3742 times)

Re: Consoles you had the most and least fun collecting for?
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2021, 10:46:47 pm »
Pretty suprised to see some cheap console libraries as being the least fun to collect for.

But hey everyone has a different experience when they are collecting.

I wonder if people are misinterpreting the question as what is the favorite and least favorite console you have in your collection, rather than what console did you have the most and least fun collecting for. I guess I can partially understand how someone might be frustrated about PS2 collecting now versus 5+ years ago, but otherwise it seems like a strange pick. Same with saying 2600 or original XBOX is your least favorite.

sworddude

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2021, 06:12:23 am »
Pretty suprised to see some cheap console libraries as being the least fun to collect for.

But hey everyone has a different experience when they are collecting.

I wonder if people are misinterpreting the question as what is the favorite and least favorite console you have in your collection, rather than what console did you have the most and least fun collecting for. I guess I can partially understand how someone might be frustrated about PS2 collecting now versus 5+ years ago, but otherwise it seems like a strange pick. Same with saying 2600 or original XBOX is your least favorite.

If there is almost zero interest in the library I'd say it's definitely a viable reason. Atari 2600 is unplayable for most so even if the games are cheap if the games aren't fun for that person, collecting for it might not give someone much satisfaction. although at that point someone might not even start collecting for it thus preventing the console from being in their list.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 09:35:19 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

aliensstudios

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2021, 04:21:10 pm »
If there is almost zero interest in the library I'd say it's definitely a viable reason. Atari 2600 is unplayable for most so even if the games are cheap if the games aren't fun for that person, collecting for it might not give someone much satisfaction. although at that point someone might not even start collecting for it thus preventing the console from being in their list.
That's what makes 2600 fun for me, it's collecting the games that are playable
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

Warmsignal

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2021, 07:02:31 pm »
Back in it's day, the Nintendo DS was also really fun to collect for. Everybody wrote it off as a gimmicky kids handheld and payed no mind towards what it had to offer aside from Mario and Pokemon. You could walk in GS and find some really random, but cool looking exclusives for relatively cheap every week. For example the now highly coveted "Little Red Riding Hood Zombie BBQ" was a game I picked up one day at GS for maybe $10. Now it's looked at as a holy grail. But there were a lot of games like that for DS, and it was fun discovering them, and picking them up when they were still very thrifty.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2021, 07:43:18 pm »
Sega Genesis used to be really fun to collect for. You used to find all kinds of unique exclusive stuff that isn't on any other consoles for cheap, because everybody else cared about PlayStation and Nintendo only. But now good luck with finding any decent games that are already on a Sega compilation for cheap

sworddude

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2021, 08:53:26 pm »
While sega genesis was definitely easy.

I'd argue ps1 and ps2 where even easier. ps1 rpg's I'd guess where kinda sought after even back than but that was a mere fraction of ps1 collecting and only if collectors where selling specific rpg titles, sets with cool stuff where really easy to score including those kinda titles and it was only a subsection of those rpg's. even ps1 collecting was not competitive at all.

Ps1 and especially ps2 have had a slightly later surge of interest compared to the sega genesis I'd say.

Years ago nintendo collecting was definitely competitive while sega not really. But I wouldn't put ps1 or ps2 into that Nintendo category either because even though there where sought after titles it definitely was mostly ignored in terms of sets and actual deals in wich it made the latter a non issue. and for ps2 especially there was definitely not much going on. Every console had it's valuable titles when cherry picked and sold by collectors. but if you where actually hunting for deals there was plenty to go around.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 09:06:38 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2021, 11:57:42 pm »
Back in it's day, the Nintendo DS was also really fun to collect for. Everybody wrote it off as a gimmicky kids handheld and payed no mind towards what it had to offer aside from Mario and Pokemon. You could walk in GS and find some really random, but cool looking exclusives for relatively cheap every week. For example the now highly coveted "Little Red Riding Hood Zombie BBQ" was a game I picked up one day at GS for maybe $10. Now it's looked at as a holy grail. But there were a lot of games like that for DS, and it was fun discovering them, and picking them up when they were still very thrifty.

I had a super good run for a few years while collecting DS games. I'm not the biggest handheld gamer, but I was finding all these cool, obscure titles for the DS for dirt cheap for several years. Some of it was checking Gamestop's inventory for select games, a lot of it was just finding them for a few bucks at 2nd hand media stores, and then some of it was also independent game stores just pricing games to move them. I got Zombie BBQ, My World, My Way, Avalon Code, and a bunch of other heavy hitters for super cheap 5 or 6 years ago. It blows my mind to see what some of it is selling for now.

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2021, 12:03:47 am »
Sega Genesis used to be really fun to collect for. You used to find all kinds of unique exclusive stuff that isn't on any other consoles for cheap, because everybody else cared about PlayStation and Nintendo only. But now good luck with finding any decent games that are already on a Sega compilation for cheap

I remember this too; it seems like while everyone wanted NES and SNES games the Genesis was just sitting in the corner like, "what about me?" I grabbed quite a few Genesis games that are now fairly desirable and expensive back then, but I really wish I'd grabbed more. There was an independent game store about an hour from me in the early 2010s that had walls and walls of cheap Genesis titles, many with the original cases. We're talking lots of the shooters, a bunch of the harder to find platformers and actions games, and a slew of other uncommon and rare titles. I think the most he had any of them at was probably $40, and that was for stuff like Hyperstone Heist or Gunstar Heroes. I grabbed a decent about of his Genesis games, but looking back I wish I'd grabbed way more. There's no way in hell I'll ever see that selection again and for those prices. Live and learn I guess.

sworddude

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2021, 06:21:21 am »
Genesis got pricy because tons of youtubers said that it was the 2nd best thing or simular to snes while still being cheap in comparison

When that gets said everytime for years eventually prices go up and finding deals for it got harder.

I remember how I bought 7 sega megadrive games from an old lady for 40$. wich is how I got the entire streets of rage trilogy in one go plus mega turrican all cib. even back than the shinobi III paid back for the lot. not the best deal I've ever had but as my 2nd or 3rd deal it was a pretty fun start to megadrive collecting. Collecting with allot of these consoles was quite easy to get into. you'd get a decent collection quite early on with the good stuff.

still if where talking 5+ years back even collectors where giving titles away. I remember a collector selling 50+ genesis games for literally only 5$ each all cib, and where talking good stuff like truxton phelios second samurai and all kinds of obsecure stuff but also some regular stuff like golden axe series shinobi etc. I got like 20+ awesome titles for cheap back than in one deal. I got quite a bit of stuff for other consoles aswell from this same guy. or how a collector literally accepted my troll offer for titles like panzer dragoon saga wich I can't believe considering the guy showed me pictures of his collection you'd think the guy didn't know what he had :o

It wasn't just regular folks for cheap deals even collectors just wanted to get rid of it to make space. from these same people anything N64 snes etc usually had market prices though it's quite odd. they just had the assumption that anything sega had almost no value, or my speculation that's what they probably paid when they got those titles and just didn't bother with giving it another price.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 07:43:57 am by sworddude »

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2021, 05:22:14 am »
I'd probably have to say my favourites were the libaries i completed over the years : pal master system, jpn neo geo pocket, jpn neo geo cd, (retail) pc engine, jpn game gear, nec pc-fx, jpn N64.
Because i don't really have to buy anything for them anymore.

But probably the pick off the bunch would be pal master system even if it was just for the community of collectors, we all knew each other and helped each other with games we found at fleamarkets or whatever someone found a spare copy off. There wasen't really any jaleousy like there seems to be amongs collectors these days. After i completed my set i moved on towards collecting japanese region stuff and never looked back.

most fun these days is that i'm all about completing my jpn xbox and 360 collections, i've been getting some amazing deals here and there and bar the populair games i don't really have much competition when i bid on yahoo japan anyway. Sadly i don't know off anyone chasing the same goal as me so can't really exchange toughts and whatnot.

Least fun : i can't really think off anything, sure i have some stuff where i think what was i thinking for buying that. Whenever i feel like collecting becomes a chore i take a break and move onto something else for a while.

While on the subject of least fun surely ps4 and switch have to take spot, with companies pumping "limited" releases left and right  week in week out, unless your loaded nobody can keep up with those systems and even then it seems impossible because there seem to be so much releases each week to even know off everithing being released.

soera

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2021, 11:07:18 am »
While on the subject of least fun surely ps4 and switch have to take spot, with companies pumping "limited" releases left and right  week in week out, unless your loaded nobody can keep up with those systems and even then it seems impossible because there seem to be so much releases each week to even know off everithing being released.

I would like to comment on this and actually agree with you on this point. While LRG started something awesome by making some digital only games physical, it's gotten to be a massive dump of shovelware lately. It was far and away the reason I gave up going for a full PS4 set.

sworddude

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2021, 04:05:11 pm »
You can also not go for a full set, sure they pump out a ton of shovelware, but you can also just get the releases that you actually want to play.

Don't feel forced to buy everything just get what your interested in. withouth these kinda companies titles like blazing chrome or bloodstained would not have had physical releases.

I get that they are pumping out a crap of stuff and sure if you have to get everything it's hard to keep up, but I personally don't see a big issue with this for most people who are interested to get physical games. Don't have the mentality to get everything that wasn't the intention of these kinda companies in the first place.

There is always some demand for the titles that they are releasing. It's also not actual shovelware compared to a majority of wii and ps2 (or any other console) games to name some example there will always be some people that enjoy those games, because they are usually interesting titles but perhaps not the kinda stuff that everyone is into. Them releasing more stuff is better than just select releases. because if you release more you get the good and the more niche stuff. you satisfy more people this way. The only ones that you might exclude are full set collectors however with this method way higher odds for a game that you like, to have a physical release instead of just a few select of the very best indi titles.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 06:25:16 pm by sworddude »

soera

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2021, 06:30:28 pm »
You can also not go for a full set.
It's also not actual shovelware compared to a majority of wii and ps2 (or any other console) games.

I was going for a full PS4 set originally. All the limited games out there made it just so much effort.

And yes, its shovelware. Some of the games lately have been worse than crap on the 2600. I couldnt care less than they are considered "Indie" or not. When Tom Happ can make a masterpiece such as Axiom Verge by himself, seeing the junk that is being put out there by a full on staff is sad.

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2021, 05:45:14 pm »
I think that every console is fun to collect, especially the most easy to encounter in my region.

The least fun are these with most difficult to see around, like Neo Geo Pocket, Wonderswan and complete GBA Games.

Warmsignal

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2021, 10:38:27 pm »
What even counts as a "full set" anymore with modern systems? Does LGR count? Does all 50 of the copycat start-ups doing the same thing count? If I'd invest a bunch of money into a license to print physical copies of some indie game and start shipping them from my basement, does that become part of the "full set"?

I don't do that type of collecting, but if I did I don't think I'd count the physical game cottage industry as being an intergral part of that goal.