Author Topic: Resident Evil  (Read 1320 times)

Resident Evil
« on: November 11, 2021, 05:36:26 am »
Felt a little bored, thought maybe we could have a dedicated Resident Evil thread for kicks, we can include all movie stuff and games here.

The new movie coming up got a full trailer and if you've seen the regular American release of the trailer, I'd recommend watching the International Trailer, because it's actually good.  Like when it was first revealed, the trailer was so bad, I didn't even finish it, but this other trailer does a way better job selling the movie, like it should've been the only one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSgAc6sHNO4

It still sorta looks like a high budget fan film, but at least it reminds me of proper Resident Evil thing and doesn't involve the director's "O.C." wife as the main character of a terrible 6 movie series (The first movie is a big guilty pleasure lol Still terrible as an RE film, but it's dumb horror action, early 2000's, fun). 

Part of me does want this new movie to work, because we don't have good non-game media for RE.  None.  All the bad Anderson films, and then there's all the bad CG films, none of which are good.  Visually well done, but they are usually just boring or badly done and they are all done in that lame post-Resident Evil 4 style, so they are all just straight action flicks pretty much, hitting peak stupidity with RE: Vendetta.  A movie where this happens...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GpXUrmSbkY

Infinite Darkness isn't any better really either, the newest tv show on Netflix, though it's a "tv show" in the sense that they had most of a movie made that they for some reason cut up into 4 episodes, even though it's clearly just a single movie.  It also has terrible writing.  Nothing has been actually good though, so maybe it's time that we'll get something watchable.  I mean, I can't trash this upcoming movie too much.  If it comes across as a B-Movie, well then that at least is staying true to what Resident Evil has always been lol  I just need it to be fun and entertaining.  It's all I ask at this point.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Resident Evil
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 11:50:27 am »
Great thread!

I love the games, especially the old-style games. I'm already a big fan of zombie movies, and those games were love letters to the classic zombie movies of the 70s and 80s. I enjoy the later ones, too, but not as much as the old-school ones.

The live-action movies aren't so great. First one was great. 2nd one was alright. And the rest are cheesefests. The CGI ones are better, but I wish they were live-action.

I can't deny Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness wasn't formulaic. It even had a countdown ending. But as an RE fan, I still enjoyed it.

I'm quite looking forward to Welcome to Raccoon City as it looks to follow the story of RE2 the game. I already have a babysitter lined up to go see it the Saturday of the weekend it comes out.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 01:00:11 pm by burningdoom »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 11:52:09 am »

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2021, 04:58:16 pm »
To add to this thread, I played Resident Evil 4 VR when that launched, but couldn't stick with it.  I got through the initial village attack, but for some reason I couldn't deal with the motion very well.  I don't get motion sickness really, I more often just get some eye strain or a headache after awhile, but after 45 minutes of playing, I just wasn't loving it.  I feel that a lot of my headache stuff comes mostly from the combination of movement and low resolution the Quest 2 has. 

Like if you watch gameplay of RE4VR on youtube, it looks like a smooth running version of the Gamecube version, awful textures and old polygons though smooth framerate, but what you actually see in the headset, is like if you took a 720p video and just stretched the crap out of it, making it feel very low rez.  It's not a problem with games like Beat Saber, or stuff that isn't highly detailed, but I think combined with the fast movement and low res, it makes for a rough time. 

I feel there is a way to improve it with being able to change your run speed, which may put me at a disadvantage, but slower movement might have slightly alleviated things.  I ended up refunding it because I knew I wasn't gonna stick with it, because I'm not changing up the games movement (I hate teleport movement and snap turning).

Which is a shame as the gameplay is kinda amazing, like they did a lot to make it work with all the VR gimmicks, like being able to grab health items, your knives, and your weapons just by grabbing at certain parts of yourself and that could be really fun, if not hectic, but it's what I've always wanted from RE4, which is to either play it first person or as a proper third person game where you aren't having to stop to aim and shoot.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 05:24:54 pm »
Kamikazekeg, you didn't like the first live-action Resident Evil movie, even? That one was actually a straight horror film, rather than the karate fighting zombies crap of the later ones.

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 07:14:14 pm »
Kamikazekeg, you didn't like the first live-action Resident Evil movie, even? That one was actually a straight horror film, rather than the karate fighting zombies crap of the later ones.

I said that one was a guilty pleasure lol It's an awful RE film, but it is the only one that actually trying to be more of an actual horror film and on its own it's a fun flick.  I wouldn't consider it "straight horror", it's still very actiony, but then again, Resident Evil was always a partial horror/action thing too.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 07:38:34 pm »

I said that one was a guilty pleasure lol It's an awful RE film, but it is the only one that actually trying to be more of an actual horror film and on its own it's a fun flick.  I wouldn't consider it "straight horror", it's still very actiony, but then again, Resident Evil was always a partial horror/action thing too.

It gave a great sense of claustrophobia, urgency, and plenty of gore; three things any good zombie should have.

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 09:09:34 pm »
It gave a great sense of claustrophobia, urgency, and plenty of gore; three things any good zombie should have.

Sure, but that doesn't automatically make it a straight horror, it's filled with all sorts of cheesy action stuff like the squad of badasses coming in (Who in fairness mostly get wiped out by that ridiculous laser defense system scene), lots of stylish action moments where it wants to be a hip, early 2000's, post-Matrix, action flick, it's got the metal soundtrack and it does have her karate kicking zombies in it still lol It's absolutely the most horror oriented one of the bunch, but I don't look at it like "I want to watch a horror movie, I'm gonna put in Resident Evil 2002."

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2021, 02:19:26 am »
I don't care for the movies or what I could withstand of the few I did see - I do however have huge respect for the 1st Silent Hill movie... sadly not the 2nd.

As for RE, I think if anything the series has grown presence within the last generation. One of the biggest factors is the HD Remasters and making the series accessible - Sure we don't have ports of the original 3 games or Code Veronica (CV Yet anyways) But the among of PS4 RE games is staggering! Having the series so accessible has actually made it much more appealing to me and now I consider it one of my favourite gaming series.

Even when RE went through serious growing pains after 4, 5 & 6 make for some of the best co-op action games around - Terrible RE games sure but I can't think of any co-op games that you can play through which match the experience 5 & 6 deliver. 7 was very refreshing and a very polished first person horror experience - I found Village to be a little all over the place but I am still curious to see what the next entry has to offer.

Also, don't over look Revelations 2! Once again if you can play it with a friend local co-op it can offer one of the best experiences in the series.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 02:31:34 am by vivigamer »

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2021, 03:23:15 am »
I've played most of the RE games at this point, other than classic RE2, RE3, and RE: Code Veronica, and maybe like one of the obscure ones like Survivor.  I never liked playing the series before RE4, because I hated tank controls, so I only beat RE1 Remake like two years ago, pushing my way through it and removing the door transitions on PC which really improved the game for me.  I did end up liking the game, even if I still don't like tank controls.  I tried to play Resident Evil: Zero, but I dropped it after getting off the train as that game is rough.

All my favorite RE games right now are basically Resident Evil 7 and on, with the one exception being Resident Evil 4, which use to be a much bigger favorite with how many times I've played that game since the Gamecube, but as the years have gone on, I'm less fond of the gameplay.  There is a rumored remake, which will make the game play better, but we are gonna inevitably lose some of the old RE4 charm with it.  Like it's dumb charm, but it is charm lol

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2021, 11:20:19 am »

Sure, but that doesn't automatically make it a straight horror, it's filled with all sorts of cheesy action stuff like the squad of badasses coming in (Who in fairness mostly get wiped out by that ridiculous laser defense system scene), lots of stylish action moments where it wants to be a hip, early 2000's, post-Matrix, action flick, it's got the metal soundtrack and it does have her karate kicking zombies in it still lol It's absolutely the most horror oriented one of the bunch, but I don't look at it like "I want to watch a horror movie, I'm gonna put in Resident Evil 2002."

It's been a while, granted. But I remember guns and explosives (and some attempts at stealth) being used against the creatures, not the Power Rangery stuff that was in the later ones. And sure there's action, I mean most zombie movies have that, you've got to shoot them in the head. But I'm gonna have to agree to disagree on the horror thing. It fits right in with my other zombie movies on the shelf.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 11:23:22 am by burningdoom »

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2021, 12:20:54 pm »
The first Resident Evil movie is far and away the best one, but it is still not a particularly good movie.  It's not terrible, but it definitely has its share of problems.  That said, it did actually introduce a couple of concepts that the games ended up cribbing, like that "ridiculous laser wall".