Author Topic: Video Game Inspired Baby Names, Would you consider it as a parent?  (Read 1697 times)

Hello everyone :)

Today I was talking to a friend who has a friend who named his new daughter Marvel because he is such a comic fanatic and Marvel was basically his childhood.  He says his daughter will be strong, have longevity, inspire and all the beautiful traits that Marvel has instilled in him so to him it wasn't a name, it was naming his life in human form :D.  I thought Marvel was different, and at first struck me as off putting but now I find it a unisex type of pretty empowering name.  So long as disney doesn't file a sieze and desist and banish him into the shadow realm.  His daughter forever forced into a paradox wear George Lucas heads yell "make me money" in intervals of 5 seconds at a time as the blood moon howls. 

So this got me thinking if you guys would ever consider naming your child or if you already have named your child after a video game character or slogan you love :D   Here are some that although I wouldn't name my child. I think they are fairly nice names and not as job interview eye brow raising as say "north west" or "chicken fajita"

Girl

Genesis -   I feel Genesis is already a name so it fits well for the sega fanatic. It's also religious, spiritual and in general beautiful to me.

Dream - With destiny, faith, hope and all those emotion and philosphical type names.  I feel dream for dremcast is very underused if ever and it's pretty :) 

Peach -  Not bad, people will know you subscried to G4 in 2007

Boy

Dualshock 4 -  It means he can take a rumbling and keep on playing the game, hands on, always down for adventure and loyal.  I see it pronounced Dewallllll shosh IV

Sony -  Some may consider it a waking billboard but Sony Michel is a football player for the patriots. It kinda exists :)

Rapture -  Bioshock city. 

What do you guys think of gaming inspired names or do you feel the traditional Emily or Craig would suffice? 

Thanks for sharing.

telekill

Re: Video Game Inspired Baby Names, Would you consider it as a parent?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 05:39:24 pm »
My son's middle name is Drake... via Nathan Drake in Uncharted.

soera

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 06:35:01 pm »
I named my daughter Aeris. My son's name is Logan (Wolverine) and his middle name is Barret.

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 06:40:08 pm »
Personally, I would afford my children the flexibility to go by a more "normal" middle name in case going by Tifa or Aerith as a first name becomes a source of resentment.

Just going from my own observations throughout life, people with unusual first names tend to hate it and adopt more commonly heard names, even when *I* think their proper given name is cool...

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 11:26:03 pm »
I think the more unusual names are best left as middle names, that way a kid has a choice as they grow up of which one of the two they want to go by.

That being said, If I ever had a daughter, one of my top picks for a name would be Lucina, as while a bit out there, it does have the fallback of using the more normal nickname Lucy.

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 01:13:02 am »
Ah man Dualshock 4 is a great name, wonder if it's too late to change the birth certificate...

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 08:28:06 am »
Ah man Dualshock 4 is a great name, wonder if it's too late to change the birth certificate...
He always gets me with this shit.

doafan

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 04:05:50 pm »
LOL I named my little girl with the name Vanessa because I really like this character from the King of Fighters franchise, my wife was mad as you have no idea cause she had the idea that it was the name of one of my ex girlfriends, had to explain the whole situation  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

bizzarnage

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 02:58:40 am »
My son's named after a character from the Final Fantasy 4 lore. I've wanted to be a father more than anything ever my whole life, and I think we did good with his name.
Though.. I do like the idea of a NAME and not a BRAND. That's, well...
Ridiculous, you know?
Do I look like I celebrate Festivus? 依ヴど疫 ヺ び慰

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2021, 08:16:00 am »
What about pets? I have a dog named Yoshi.

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2021, 11:29:58 am »
If you named your kid Dualshock 4 you should lose all parental rights.

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2021, 04:38:27 pm »
Naflurka is a nice name for a girl I think, that I made up using part of a made up language in video game forum called Simlish I like the name and it sound vary simmy, but again were talking about a video game that let's you choose the name of your characters, and Naflurka sounds like a good name for a made up EA language, and I don't mean programming language ::)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2021, 05:20:09 pm »
If one day I become a father my son's first name shall be Scarface: The World Is Yours on the PS2, pronounced "Jef".
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

ferraroso

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2021, 06:26:32 pm »
I've always dreamed about naming my son Duke Nukem and my daughter Baraka, but I don't think my wife would be very happy with those choices...

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2021, 11:27:46 am »
What about pets? I have a dog named Yoshi.

My dog is names after Yuna from FFX.

As for naming human kids after video game characters I have no problem when others do it, but personally I wouldn't. I guess I'm more a fan of traditional western names (ie. David, Charlie, Thomas). I do have a pet peeve of parents giving their kids super pretentious or ridiculous names like Ferrari, Wind, or some other weird shit like that. But typically video games are okay unless of course you name your kid Gitaroo Man or Waluigi, in which case you're just mean lol.