Author Topic: Looking for a specific version of World of Xeen for MACINTOSH  (Read 1527 times)

Looking for a specific version of World of Xeen for MACINTOSH
« on: December 05, 2018, 11:24:57 am »
Hello.
I am wondering if anyone has World of Xeen for Macintosh. We are looking for a specific version that has a secret hidden folder called "industrial world of xeen". Not all versions of the game apparently have this folder -- neither the current ISO hosted on Macintosh Garden, nor one that we have managed to obtained. If anyone can help us with obtaining the files from out of that folder, it would be very much appreciated. This is the information:

Here are two contemporary mentions of the folder, as well as a more recent comment from the author of the port.

David Molnar, comp.sys.mac.games, 1995:

Good music and sound effects

Yes, especially the speech. But why are they stored in the clear
    on the CD? It's too much of a temptation to just break out SoundApp and
    start browsing through the voices. <g>

The hidden 'Industrial World of Xeen' folder is a nice touch. Wink

Illuminatus Primus, comp.sys.mac.games.adventure, 1995:

Worlds of Xeen Hidden Sound Files!

Yup, they exist on the CD. Invis-ed folder right at the root of the CD. It's called "The Industrial World of Xeen", and contains 6 separate HUGE sound files.

However, they suck. I'm under the impression that they're supposed to be "industrial" re-mixes of some of the themes, but apparently Presage's (or whoever is responsible, they're standard Mac SND files...) idea of industrial is to hook the themes up to a static generator. At first I thought I was having sound problems, but after playing a few, I came to the conclusion that they were done so badly that it's almost not worth listening to them. Make your own choices.

To get to them: It's a little bit more involved than normal, because you can't de-invis the folder normally as it's a CD. My suggestion is to use ResEdit or some sound program that can see invis folders. SoundEdit Pro does it great. The average size is like 4MB per sound. Enjoy...sort of.

Dhar, Abandonia.com, 2011:

I'm the developer for the Mac version of World of Xeen. [...] The original DOS music was MIDI music played through the horrible MIDI software synths available at the time. MIDI wasn't a big thing on the Mac, so Presage's audio guys played the Xeen MIDI files through a real MIDI synth and captured the output. The Mac Xeen music is actually large streamed SND files. It's not just your imagination that it sounds better...it actually IS better. BTW, some of the files converted incorrectly but were included as invisible easter egg files on the original CD, if you still have it...

Re: Looking for a specific version of World of Xeen for MACINTOSH
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 02:14:28 am »
Bump.

tripredacus

Re: Looking for a specific version of World of Xeen for MACINTOSH
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 10:31:16 am »
I found an hqx here but I can't seem to open it with anything.
http://ftp.lyx.org/ftp/pub/mac/info-mac/game/_Commercial/