Author Topic: Also On Platforms Feature  (Read 2227 times)

jason

Also On Platforms Feature
« on: November 30, 2021, 03:32:44 pm »
I've updated the Item Pages to include other platforms / platform regions with the game also available. This should make it easier to find other version of the same game. Please let me know what you think. Thanks and happy collecting!

koemo1

PRO Supporter

Re: Also On Platforms Feature
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 03:57:37 pm »
Ooh damn, that's so neat!
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 04:21:49 pm »
Sweet that is helpful thanks.

zappman

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 04:41:17 pm »
Very Nice  8)

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 06:35:54 pm »
I like the addition. It will help to speed up some edits (where things like box text are the same between regions). My only concern is when it comes to games with more generic titles, for example a game like 'Battleship' will show as being on 25 different platforms. Not the biggest deal though. Also it says "Also on Plaforms" and not Platforms.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 06:38:02 pm by nathan776 »

jason

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 06:56:02 pm »
I like the addition. It will help to speed up some edits (where things like box text are the same between regions). My only concern is when it comes to games with more generic titles, for example a game like 'Battleship' will show as being on 25 different platforms. Not the biggest deal though. Also it says "Also on Plaforms" and not Platforms.

I'll have to think on that a bit and see what we might be able to do in those instances. Also, fixed that typo. Thanks for catching that! :)

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 11:55:13 pm »
Great feature!  It is a bit tough to read.  I tried to underline and see if that looks better which did for last 2, but some visual separation would be nice.  Maybe underlined with 2 spaces between each item?

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 01:38:37 am »
Just noticed this, amazing new feature!

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 11:16:19 am »
Great feature!  It is a bit tough to read.  I tried to underline and see if that looks better which did for last 2, but some visual separation would be nice.  Maybe underlined with 2 spaces between each item?

Maybe a pipe separator

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 11:25:09 am »
I'm not too keen on this new feature, it makes the items page look too overwhelming and it feels a bit unneccesary. But at least it doesn't mess with the rest of the features.
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

cirdan77

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 05:24:31 pm »
@jason THANKS A BUNCH FOR THIS!

This is a wonderful addition. I would be happy with this feature as-is with zero prettifying any day over not having this info presented.

Besides, it's always (relatively) easy to play with HTML presentation cosmetics. For instance:
  • there are CSS alternative table column/row colors (if hackily presenting the platforms in an invisible table with no padding/margins)
  • and I'm sure plenty of more flexible non-CSS table methods (like iterating through the comma-separated list of systems returned by some query & using alternating colors for each).
  • this section could be made to collapse/hide if it offends a few super anal design people too much.
The asks/suggestions I'd have is:
  • The "Also on platforms" should really exclude itself (a listing for "PS3 (NA)" need not list its own system as "also on").
  • And, it would be nice to know exactly how the "other platforms" are ascertained. I can imagine if this is via simple normalized text string matching across Name + Alt-Name there may be a ton of false positives -- and I can already see a bunch of missing variants in the few games I viewed. The (insanely hacky) bracketed release country lists should be omitted when performing matching. "MyGame [DE]" should match with "MyGame [FR]" and "MyGame [BE][NL]" and "MyGame". I know that is not at all easy -- and query speed would require something like maintaining a properly indexed normalized name (minus all punctuation, bracketed crap, parenthetical crap) -- but just a suggestion.
  • It would be ideal if someday individuals could manually both remove & assign cross-platform sibling relations to ensure this feature works optimally.
  • The accuracy could be even stronger if somehow linking for instance with GameFAQs (cross-platform release linking, game families, and genre hierarchies etc).

Sorry for the opinionated banter above. I'm super happy with the direction of this change!
Bravo!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 05:38:51 pm by cirdan77 »

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2021, 01:00:33 pm »
The country tld makes it not usuable.

telly

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2021, 01:28:45 pm »
There are a couple issues I've noticed as well.

The game that you're actually looking at is repeated in the "other platforms" section.

If a game has a different name in another country they won't show up.

Other than that I think it's really cool! :)
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2021, 02:53:38 pm »
The country tld makes it not usuable.
Yes!
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

jason

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2022, 08:35:31 pm »
The asks/suggestions I'd have is:
The "Also on platforms" should really exclude itself (a listing for "PS3 (NA)" need not list its own system as "also on").

This bug has been fixed. Thanks!