Author Topic: Gamer Stereotypes (Good Edition) Which is your favorite? Which is most you?  (Read 798 times)

Hello everyone :)

A while ago I made a thread topic asking all of you which was your least favorite gaming stereotype from the gamers who package a little samson complete in the box, and your game you ordered on Mecari for 300 dollars in dollar store bubble mailers until it arrives looking like it was crip walked on to the ones who gatekeep and objectify anything that isn't a mountain dew drinker who plays Halo competitive as a "fake gamer' an many other negative stereotypes. You can find that thread here.

https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,8627.0.html

Today we tackle the other side of the stereotypes and talk about the types of gamers including many of the types of gamers that exist in this community that we love and love to be around. And lastly. Which do you most align with?

The Sanitary OCD Collector

The guy that would drive us nuts to live with but boy do we love buying off him.  The "cut that cellophane diagnolly. Dusting his shelfs 3 times a week OCD guy.  We have all been there. You buy a 360 from some guy with a van full of fake jordans just to start it up and it smells like a dog chain smoked for all 47 of it's dog years, theirs roach eggs, theirs dirt and it is more financially sound to throw the thing like Thanos throwing Gamora rather than dare even open it. Nasty collectors or gamers who don't value their things.  OCD guy or girl will pester you about climate, sun getting on your collection as if you are supposed to live in a vanta black geek dungeon where only mushrooms will grow.  If the game has so much as a spec of dust on the manual he will try to claim it to be damaged and selling to him on ebay is basically opening a return claim before it's even delivered.  But when you are curating a collection like this. These types are a dream to buy from because you know you get what you want as it was intended :)

The online multiplayer Medic guy

There you were facing impending afterlife after being yeeted like a hot grenade, and there he was. Usually a 45 yr old as the act of putting others first in online multiplayer isn't gained until you have the 1000 yard stare of epicness. A real gamer. Bearing the username "ShadowLord89" with an avatar only day 1 players can get. And as you look up, screen going red you see the "reviving" of heroism. These types are the first to revive you. While other no scoping trick shot people walk over you downed body. This Sarah Mclaughlin of the servers comes to pick you up in the line of duty. We all love a medic type. They are selfless givers in gaming. We all know where we were when a medic role saved us. When we had last stand in COD and someone picked us up. Teamates and leaders. 

The 20 Percent Under VGPC Guy

Nobody likes the "let me look it up on VGPC" local sellers. They don't know their items worth, they are not real collectors and they let the market dictate how they treat a fellow collector when in reality VGPC is a price that is factoring in ebay fees, paypal fees, mecari fees, shipping, boxing, bubble wrap, taxes, and above all hassle of delivering via USPS into the price. Things buying from a local guy at his house will not have to endrue. The 20 percent under VGPC guy understands this and tries to give his fellow gamer a proper gentlemen's deal and help eachother grow instead of making a quick buck on the gullible :( 

The Gamestop Nerd That Tells You About The Cool CE and Sales

You're going to checkout your standard edition of horizon forbidden west when this magestic legend of a guy or gal grabs you by the shirt collar like a don of the corleone family and says "well actually for just 20 dollars more you can get the hyperion super mega deluxe 2.0 whiplash best of the best make you happy edition which comes with an Aloy statue and 20 dollars worth of in game content for free.  To which you say "You are my hero".  These workers will tell you when rewards are to be had. help you get the best deals on trade ins and even give you reserves that have sold out. Kiosks they are throwing away. They are cool :)

The guy who can game without flirting, gatekeeping or saying the N word

I mean sadly a rarer anamoly than it should be. Even in my days of not plugging the mic in. Any girl who would dare to speak would either be met with "you sound hot" and "how old are you?" and other odd personal selatious questions I just have never been subjected to. Or met with "girls play for attention" and "get your little sister off the mic" And i'm not saying its everywhere and everyone but this should not be at all prevelent. So if you don't do this you don't deserve a cookie but you are better than some. Than the N word guys who say it because theirs literally nothing that can be done about it. It is to be expected but I am happy this community is one of the only I have been part in that don't do that.

The "One extra piece of bubble wrap when I ship something" guy

We all order things we can't find sometimes and their are two types. The guy from the negative stereotypes who puts a 5000 dollar box in a 79 cent envelope and hopes for the best and than the guys and girls who will go the extra step to put a little piece of bubble wrap in between the disc and the book to prevent rattling in transit, sturdy box, nice bubble wrap, and a lot of padding so it doesn't have any chance of being damaged. We love this gamer who gets it.

That one friend that is disrespectfully good at Smash

We all have those smash sessions, a couple of friends over wth the new little ceasars batman calzone. Happy. Than you got the knock on the door. The guy that comes over with his gold plated wavebird, a cool ranch dorito bag and crocs on. A switch docked literally in every pocket of his or her clothing, and everyone tucks in their triforce necklaces knowing the prophecy has been foretold and the alpha has appraoched. Do we hate to play against him? Of course. He picks the weakest characters like Villagers and somehow still beats you within seconds, but the reason we like this stereotype is because when he is on your team? When he is giving you tips? When you are the skywalker to his Kinobi.  Is when things get special :)

Compliment Motivational Hypeman

"Bro, you got this. To the left. You're a stallion, you're born from the foam from apophos's loins, this lobby is mere mortals in your presence. Desimate them. Dude Elite!!!  Let's go. Let's flipping go!!" after each shot you make. each person you defeat. They were eliminated two rounds ago, and are in general a casual who gets carried but where the heavy lifting comes in is motivating those who are left with these good tips about where the enemy is hiding and also giving you that push of confidence that you're gonna win.  We all want this over the teamates who die and then just complain or be quiet.

Gamer Dad/Gamer Mom

The dad that doesn't limit "screen time" if the grades are good and chores are done. Doesn't complain. The mom who doesn't not get it so she just ruins it for the kids by not allowing them to play games. These parents are the dream of all gamer kids. And are core building blocks in relationships during developmental stages. Video games don't just allow us to live one life, see one outcome, it opens a world of possibilities and to be anything from an actual god to a slice of bread in the gaming world with your parents there to love you equally through either is a good feeling. Not saying all parents have to game. But the gamer parents not only have their hobby but they give their kids the attention they need and don't just ignore their interests and I think it's healthy.

The "I'll pick you up one too" guy

Gotta work and can't make it to get the new switch launch or a title you been wanting? That collector's edition gonna sell out by the time you get there? No need for fear. The "get if for you" friend is there. The friend that you can text and ask him to pick you up one. He won't want to reseller or demand you pay an inflated price. He will just want what's on the reciept. Of course you take him for pizza or pay his gas or whatever you want for hooking you up. But it's the genuine love of not wanting to rip people off and helping his or her fellow game that we love about this stereotype.

What other stereotypes do you know and which one are you?

« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 07:28:45 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

I always pack well when selling/trading or even returning something. Because that's how I want my stuff to come to me.

ferraroso

Of these stereotypes you listed, I'd definitelly fit under the "The guy who can game without flirting, gatekeeping or saying the N word" category.

Definitely the 20% under VPC Guy. I hate overpaying for games and would rather wait for a good deal to come my way than to pay full asking price. This has burned me a few times over the years, but finding deals is still something I get a kick out of.

soera

Fanboy. It is what it is. PlayStation > everything else. Always.

telekill

I'm the guy that can game without being an ass. I'm also pretty close to Gamer Dad but do impose limits on my kids.

I definitely fit under "The guy who can game without flirting, gatekeeping, or saying the N-word" I don't think I've even said anything remotely disrespectful and I have too much anxiety to even talk to anyone let alone the opposite sex which is why I'm more of a single-player video game guy.

kashell

I would hope the  "The guy who can game without flirting, gatekeeping, or saying the N-word" applies to everyone because that's just common decency.

Warmsignal

Probably the OCD. I do clean a lot, organize a lot, and scrutinize condition beyond a reasonable level. I hate worn and gross stuff. If you don't open the cellophane with an Xacto straight down the opening tab, seriously what are you doing? You know those little puncture places you find on otherwise great copies? People literally take ballpoint pens and just stab at a game trying to open it... sad. Minty is a way of life. You mustn't treat your wares like candy or drink coasters.

pzeke

The Sanitary OCD Collector

To a fault, for sure...although I've neglected my room for a while now.

The Gamestop Nerd That Tells You About The Cool CE and Sales

Even though I never worked at a GameStop, I think I could qualify for this one since I used to be the type of customer that liked helping others whenever they had doubts about a game or didn't know something, especially when it came to the game's ESRB ratings; I often helped parents pick up games for their kids, especially when they were buying them as gifts and were clueless about what anything was. I applied a couple of times, but was never hired, unfortunately. I'm glad I wasn't in hindsight.

The guy who can game without flirting, gatekeeping or saying the N word

Back when the arcades were king, none of this would've been accepted, either, but I did used to occasionally flirt with girls during co-op games like House of the Dead or whenever playing a fighting game. Mind you, it was done in a tasteful manner, and it often went both ways.

Definitely me; I never skimp on packaging material, and I don't ship games in bubble mailers, either.

Compliment Motivational Hypeman

Harkening back to the arcade days, yeah, I used to do this, too.

The "I'll pick you up one too" guy

I used to be like this, but put a stop to it when a few of the people I wanted to gift a game or two to would blurt out things like, "I don't think I deserve it" or "I don't have anything to give to you"—it pissed the hell out of me. If I got it and want to give it to you it's because we're friends and I think you deserve it without expecting anything back. Blessing in disguise, as far as I'm concerned.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 07:51:34 pm by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!