Author Topic: What percentage are you a collector vs a gamer?  (Read 2119 times)

mrkonasoni

Re: What percentage are you a collector vs a gamer?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2021, 10:51:01 am »
Just a gamer, I am almost completely against the idea of buying stuff I know I won't like, and since the budget is getting tighter, I have made a plan for this following 2022 finally end buying all retro games I needed.

I must admit that I don't tend to gaming so much because once again I have that long to-do list I don't care to shorten.

Any case, I am happy just buying stuff that looks cool enough.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 11:57:42 am by mrkonasoni »
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

tripredacus

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2021, 12:36:23 pm »
I am almost completely against the idea of buying stuff I know I won't like

It is interesting about this, since doing the 52 Games Challenge for this year I found many things I bought I didn't like. It is kind of disappointing. Things that looked good, good graphics or promises of certain features that interested me, had some other issue that made things too annoying to bother with. Also it had shown me that my tastes for things have changed over the years as well.

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2021, 02:01:12 pm »
I am almost completely against the idea of buying stuff I know I won't like

It is interesting about this, since doing the 52 Games Challenge for this year I found many things I bought I didn't like. It is kind of disappointing. Things that looked good, good graphics or promises of certain features that interested me, had some other issue that made things too annoying to bother with. Also it had shown me that my tastes for things have changed over the years as well.
Same.  I've bought a lot of games that once I've played them I realized that I really shouldn't have wasted my money.

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2021, 01:07:20 pm »
I have always been more of a "buy games I'm going to play" person and not a "buy games that I'll stick on the shelf and never look at ever again" kind of person. I do buy impulsively sometimes, but I try to curate what I have the best I can... it can be difficult though when you have a lot of worthless junk that no one wants.

covfefe2020

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2021, 11:52:41 am »
I have to admit I'm kind of surprised how much more gamers this is leaning. I can't remember exactly why but when I was here last year I had the feel that most people barely had time to play games at all and were just amassing collections for the heck of it.
The Benevolent and Powerful covfefe2020

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2021, 10:24:36 pm »
I have to admit I'm kind of surprised how much more gamers this is leaning. I can't remember exactly why but when I was here last year I had the feel that most people barely had time to play games at all and were just amassing collections for the heck of it.

These nothing to collect anymore, the supply of the official releaces is just about gone what do you expect? I am still mostly a collector just like I said before on here, but no supply means there is nothing for me to collect anymore and it makes my blood boil when I see people that have 10,000-20,000 games individual games that , and since there is no supply that makes me somewhat jealous those people were just amassing games as I was because I KNEW this supply was going to run out, now? nothing much is left.

I wanted to amass more games I am still a hoarder because I'm currently holding onto some rare things in my collection that most people could never get do to supply, I don't want to use them because I am afraid I'll get too attached and they'll break and I won't be able to sell or replace them in which REALLY makes my blood boil, to the point I stopped playing my games now due to depression
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2021, 08:53:58 am »

These nothing to collect anymore, the supply of the official releaces is just about gone what do you expect? I am still mostly a collector just like I said before on here, but no supply means there is nothing for me to collect anymore and it makes my blood boil when I see people that have 10,000-20,000 games individual games that , and since there is no supply that makes me somewhat jealous those people were just amassing games as I was because I KNEW this supply was going to run out, now? nothing much is left.

Must be my imagination every time I go into GameStop and see all those games, then.

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2021, 04:33:18 am »
Probably 75% collector and 25% gamer.

Don't get me wrong i still try to play 15-20 hours a week or try to atleast, it's just i buy way more then i can play and when i think about it i bought 300+ games this year so i can hardly say i'm more gamer then collector.
let's say i enjoy having the games as much as i enjoy playing them i always did btw.

Starting hunting down the japanese xbox 360 full set kind off sparked new life into me as a collector, a lot of stuff is still dirt cheap so i may aswell go hard before the prices spike up.

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2021, 04:50:11 am »
Probably 99 percent gamer and 0.735 percent collector these days. Only because I chose like 3 games and bought them digitally and those are the ones I play and I play them a lot. 1 percent because just having those games I guess is adding to my collection even if it's not my intent :).

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2021, 01:10:39 pm »

I know a lot of collectors and I'd say most are 75% collector and 25% gamer at best. Many are probably 90% and 10% and then a few are pretty much just 100% collecting. The people I've known with the biggest, craziest collections ironically almost never played video games since they seemed to dump all their free time in the pursuit of more games. I'm not saying anything is wrong with doing this, but it's just funny being so passionate about collecting video games and yet not playing any of them ever.

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2021, 01:09:03 am »
Currently I would say im 90% gamer and 10% collector which wasnt the case in years prior. I feel like this year prior to the recent holiday splurge I did that I didnt buy as much as I did in the last year as I did play more games than I have in some years which is nice. Ultimately, the collecting bug I have specifically for retro games is not there anymore and I am okay with that.

Warmsignal

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2021, 12:37:45 pm »
There's nothing wrong with collecting games, or game collectors. After all, this website and a lot of others out there were created around the idea of game collecting in itself, as it's own hobby, apart from gaming. Ironic how so many regulars here have a retired most of their collecting ambitions and now consider themselves to no longer be game collectors, and even lament collecting as if it's actually a shameful thing, because you're supposed to just play video games and not collect them? This is still "VG Collect", no matter how old hat the idea of collecting games might seem in 2021. There are still people getting into the hobby, or without near as much experience or time sunk into it, and they all deserve the same kind of respect we afforded one another years ago, just as us veterans do as well.

I still collect with the same principles and ideals that I started with in 2008. To me it's not gotten old, or boring, or somehow greedy or immoral to own a bunch of games or to buy more than I can play. I'm an enthusiast, this is what I like to do with my time and money. I like this stuff, and I want to own and archives the physical copies. If I had to place an arbitrary percentage on my habits, I'd say 75% collector 25% "gamer". Although, as I've stated before, I don't identify with the cultural understanding of the word "gamer" in a sense where you need to be someone who wants for nothing but to sit in front of a screen 18 hours a day, empty snack wrappers and beverages strewn about, where I only leave the room for a bathroom break every so many hours. That's not me, and has never been. I'm more of a casual game player. Even when I was a child and played every single game that I owned and quite often, I would not retrospectively call myself a "gamer" in those days. Games were just one of a number of different hobbies and interests that I had, but never to a point of spending all of my time with games.

I game less now than as a kid, but recently I've been playing more than I have in quite some time. If you'd ask me this question several years ago, I'd easily guess a 95% / 5% ratio. However, my collecting has slowed and gaming has picked up some. Collecting still out-paces by a lot, but I've got no problem with that. Collecting games for me ties more into the real world experience, one that becomes enmeshed in the daily travels and going-ons, as where gaming is more of an isolated form of entertainment that's best served when you're bored at home and want an escape. It's a situation that I find myself in, not as often. I don't go out of my way to play games, and certainly don't feel obligated to them. I play when the mood strikes me. I may never get to all of my games, and that's fine.

With all of that said, yes I'm a game collector and a proud one. I used to shy away from that admission, ironically because of the shame often implicated towards the notion from within collecting communities like this one. Now I don't care who likes it, and who doesn't. We all have our toy collections, and we can do with them as we wish. Huck them all and declare yourself free of bondage, hoard them up until there's no more breathing room; doesn't matter. Do what you want. I still enjoy it, and enjoy the company and conversation that builds around those who also still enjoy it.

ferraroso

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2021, 07:11:18 pm »
I'd probably say like 90% (maybe more) collector and 10% (maybe less) gamer.
I say this because whenever I have a free weekend, I usually find more joy in going out to hunt for games than staying home and playing what I already own.
Besides, the whole "gamer" community tends to be a little too toxic for my taste...

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2022, 11:51:52 pm »
For long time, i been 70% collector, and 30% gamer.  Recently its been changing, in last 2 years, because i am pretty much 85% caught up to all collecting, i want to do for anything before PS4 era.  Already gotten main pieces/most important pieces for my collections of games i want to play, and keep forever, till day i die.

So now i am worry about less collecting, keeping eye on some modern games, PS4/PS5/Switch.  I feel like as time will go, eventually i find few of those rare pieces off my Want list i hope, for reasonable price. I be able to than just focus more and more on playing vs hunting down good deals.

So i am more like 60% Gaming now and 40% collecting.  Its quiet nice, to have library of almost any game i want to play on each system from earlier childhoods/teenage years to young adulthood/adult life.

The Mind is The Slayer of Reality. --- LoS

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2022, 01:43:44 pm »
I used to be a big gamer. But now that I am 38 with career, a family and 3 kids, I am more a collector at this point. But, once an empty nester I hope to get playing more. Still play now, but just alot more limited to find free time. However, going to garage sales, thrift stores and pawn shops can be a fun family activity so I get more time towards that. New to the forum! Hello all!