Author Topic: Favorite Movies and TV Shows of 2021  (Read 1046 times)

Favorite Movies and TV Shows of 2021
« on: December 27, 2021, 03:36:12 pm »
I had some pretty big films this year for myself that were great and some good tv show stuff too, so here's my list of stuff.  I haven't watched everything I've wanted to, like I still need to see the new Matrix, but still had some fun stuff I watched.

Movies
Godzilla vs Kong - I'm a huge Godzilla fan and I had an absolute blast with this movie.  It is more of a "Kong 2" than a pure split film since he's the one you can characterize more, but I really had a fun time, some of the set pieces are so great, and while the Mecha Godzilla isn't my favorite design at all, it's certainly not the worst (Looking at you Godzilla Anime Trilogy and your stupid ideas lol).  This would've been my movie of the year if it wasn't for...

Spider-Man: No Way Home - No spoilers for this, but it went in a direction I wasn't expecting and also did more than I expected and it's kinda amazing what the movies turns itself into being by the end of it, as it has me pretty stoked for the next Spider-Man film.

The Mitchells vs the Machines - Its the best animated film I saw this year, it's hilarious and the animation is fantastic.

The Suicide Squad - A DC film I really like! It's a miracle! There's so very few of those for me lol It helps that James Gunn knows how to nail a group dynamic and while it does come across as "R Rated Guardians", that's not a bad thing.  It's so much fun.

Dune - Really good film that has me eagerly anticipating the next part.  Visually stunning, which isn't surprising coming from the director of Blade Runner 2049.

Shang-Chi - Pretty fun Marvel flick, it was way better than Black Widow for sure to me, in particular because I think the action is pretty good, like the fight scene on the bus is great and I like the main guy quite a lot and look forward to more with Shang-Chi.

Honorable Mentions
Zack Snyder's Justice League - This isn't a movie I'd recommend and I will never watch it again, but it is generally a step up from the original Justice League, even if it's bloated to hell and back and it only cements how glad I am that Snyder is gone from the DC films.  There's good stuff here, but its a hard watch when so much could be easily hacked out or trimmed down to make the run time more manageable.  This isn't Lord of the Rings, Snyder is no Peter Jackson lol

Mortal Kombat - It's not great, but I think it has a lot of good stuff to it that can be fixed in a sequel if we ever get that.

America: The Motion Picture - Second best animated film I saw this year, it's absurd, cartoonish, nonsense and I had a lot of fun with it lol

TV Shows
Wandavision - The whole tv show gimmick does a lot for the show.  I think outside of that, it's a fairly middling show, and they maybe drag things on just a tad longer than it should have, but I had a real good time with it.

Invincible - Damn good stuff, it's utterly brutal and intense, but I had such a good time with it and can't wait for more.

Loki - I just like Tom Hiddleston as Loki, so a whole show with him was great and I love the idea of the TVA and everything to do with Kang and can't wait for the next season.

Castlevania: Season 4 - A great end to this part of the story, I had such a blast with this series and this final season was really damn good.

Masters of the Universe: Revelations - I like the He-Man enough for it is, I was born after its heyday, so I had no nostalgia for it, but having seen stuff on it over the years, I was looking forward to this show doing some real good animation and story stuff and they nailed it.  I understand some peoples issues with it, a small bit of it I could agree with (This show should never have been split into 2 parts), most of it I don't, but it's a really fun show.

Honorable Mentions
Falcon and the Winter Solider - It was my least liked of the Marvel tv series until Hawkeye (That's not meant to be a bad thing), but I do like the show, particularly just the buddy relationship between Bucky and Sam is great and it did a lot to justify Sam as Captain America and his suit look is great.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 04:04:23 pm by kamikazekeeg »

Re: Favorite Movies and TV Shows of 2021
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 09:17:06 am »
I'll be getting home from my holiday vacation today, after which I plan on doing a lot of watching of the bigger "award" movies of the year (Power of the Dog, West Side Story, etc), but here are my current favorites.

Judas and the Black Messiah
Pig
Lamb
Dune
The Mitchells vs. The Machines

As for TV, I've not watched a ton of 2021 releases, but there are some big ones for me.

The Expanse
Star Trek: Lower Decks
WandaVision
Mare of Easttown
Midnight Mass

gngtiger

Re: Favorite Movies and TV Shows of 2021
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 12:15:02 am »
TV SHOWS (Didn't watch any new ones, but I did watch through Friends and Parks and Recreation, mainly):
Young Rock
Loki
Hawkeye

Movies:
Free Guy
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Fatherhood (A Netflix film with Kevin Hart, which was actually really sweet.)
Haven't seen Spider-Man: No Way Home yet, due to CURRENT WORLD EVENT, but if I did see it this year, it probably would be number one, as everyone I know who has seen it loved it.