Author Topic: SEGA Master System Converter - playing SMS titles on genesis/megadrive  (Read 999 times)

Hello fellow gamers and collectors,

I'm proud to own a fully equiped SEGA Medadrive II incl. Mega CD II and Master System Converter II.
I started collecting Master System cartridges for the latter one, and I hope somebody out here might be able to answer me a very specific question regarding this little adapter:

It appears that I have 2 games in my collection, that won't work properly when adapted via the Converter. After a friend of mine who owns a Master System II tested them and found them working well on his console, I wondered If some SMS games may not be compatible with the Master System Converter that I use oO ... every other game from my collection works fine, but only those two games don't, while still working fine when played via the MasterSystem.

Does anyone knows something about some games not working with the converter? I don't really care if I am not able to play them as long as I know they're functioning in general, but that situation just baffled me and I'm eager to know more about this, if anyone can help with some information.

Many thanks in advance, and sorry, if this post already existed in some form

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US !!
WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM !!

telekill

This is the first I've heard of an SMS game not working on the converter... though I've only ever read up on the Game Gear's converter. A couple follow up questions...

- Which converter is used? Do you have a model number?
 - What games aren't working on it?

This is the first I've heard of an SMS game not working on the converter... though I've only ever read up on the Game Gear's converter. A couple follow up questions...

- Which converter is used? Do you have a model number?
 - What games aren't working on it?

The Converter I use is the european version original SEGA Master System Converter II (red button) . Model No. MK-1621-50

The two games not working so far are "F-16 Fighter" and "Wonderboy in Monster Land" ... both work fine on Master System itself.

WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM !!

tripredacus

Wonder Boy in Monster Land requries the SMS controller to be connected.
F-16 is known to not work.

https://segaretro.org/Power_Base_Converter#Incompatible_games

Wonder Boy in Monster Land requries the SMS controller to be connected.
F-16 is known to not work.

https://segaretro.org/Power_Base_Converter#Incompatible_games

Wow, thanks for this link, this actually answers all my questions regarding this.
I still have to get me some Master System controllers, for I actually wanted to play the SMS games with the right feel in hands.

WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM !!

sworddude

Your Stylish Sword Master!

gngtiger

I have a Retron 5, and the company that made it (Hyperkin) made an adapter to play Master System, Master System card, and Game Gear games on it. However, it doesn't work on a genesis, to the best of my knowledge.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

I have a Retron 5, and the company that made it (Hyperkin) made an adapter to play Master System, Master System card, and Game Gear games on it. However, it doesn't work on a genesis, to the best of my knowledge.

It does work on a Genesis, I can verify it. I got rid of my Retron 5 because I didn't like the controller input lag. I use the Hyperkin Converter on my Genesis. It works for both cartridges and the Sega Cards. I don't know if it matters what model Genesis it is or not, I'm using a model 1.

What's funny is Hyperkin will straight lie and say it doesn't work on a Genesis, though. I mean technically it doesn't, I guess, because only Master System games work. The Game Gear slot does not.