Author Topic: Your Opinion Of PS1 And N64 And Genesis Sports Games?  (Read 1010 times)

Your Opinion Of PS1 And N64 And Genesis Sports Games?
« on: February 07, 2022, 10:15:35 pm »
I love them they remind me of an earlier era in my life, when I was not at all a sports game fan. I gotten a ton of N64 sports games. including motocross, hockey, basketball, football, soccer, baseball and more I love them.

Some of those old rosters and old teams are interesting, then you got old jerseys and teams that no longer play anymore, it can be a great trip down memory lane, I know that a lot of people don't play retro sports games but I find them to be vary interesting, Genesis games I don't like them as much as the PS1 or N64 games, but something about the 5th generation sports games that I just like :-\
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Your Opinion Of PS1 And N64 And Genesis Sports Games?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 10:41:18 pm »
I'm not a fan of sports games in general. While I have had a good time with a handful of them over the years, they just have never been my cup of tea for the most part.

On the PS1 I'm a big fan of the Xtreme series of games which is essentially Road Rash on bikes and roller blades. As for the N64, I was a big fan of NFL Blitz and Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey back in the way, mostly because of how over the top they both were. On the Genesis I never got super into any sports games with the exception of NHL 97 which I played a ton at my friends house growing up. My cousin had Mutant League Football, but I could never get into it at the time, probably because I was too young.

sworddude

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 06:04:28 am »
unless it has mario in the title or it has some arcade sheninigans that makes it more enticing than a regular sports game it's trash
Your Stylish Sword Master!

brothertuc

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 12:48:54 pm »
I still go back and play FIFA98: Road to World Cup, FIFA 99 and FIFA 2000 on my PS1 every once in a while.
It sure is a trip... love to see how the national teams looked back then, alongside the club rosters.

Warmsignal

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 01:00:59 pm »
THPS, Cool Borders, Hot Shots Golf, Motocross Mania, Excite Bike 64, Mario Tennis, Milo's Astro Lanes, NBA Hangtime, etc. I like those types of games.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 06:25:22 pm »
I’ve never really been a fan of realistic sports games, I like the arcade-style ones much more.
Between SNES, PS1, and N64 I own 4 iterations of the NBA Jam/Hangtime series. Also Super Baseball 2020 is fun.

I did have World Series Baseball and WSB ‘95 on Genesis and they were pretty good, but I mainly just simulated games because I liked managing more. I spent a lot of time on All Star Baseball ‘03 on PS2 because it had a mode where I could act as GM, create a team, and simulate everything. That was fun.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 06:31:59 pm by undertakerprime »

Bluemoon

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 06:26:51 pm »
I've always found playing old sports games to be like little time capsules of the year they were created not only of the sport they are representing but the music and style of the era

mrkonasoni

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 07:21:47 pm »
Well.
Sincerely, soccer games are fun, and nowadays it's easier than ever play them when PES/Winning Eleven/eFootball gone free to play and while a first messy launch party, it will possibly improve with the time.

In N64 you have International Super Star Soccer 64 (Winning Eleven) that is still highly regarded nowadays for people that weren't fans of sports games at all.

The hockey games are fun because they are arguably similar to the soccer games, and you have a few.

The Baseball games are fine but they are slow and harder to play, so don't expect something that will make you feel rewarded unlike you know what are you doing.

Basketball is fine, you have NBAjam that don't take itself seriously, or more common ones like NBA in the zone that is fun in shorts bursts.

From there.
If you want something that feels something else than a common sports games, the answer is still Konami's own "International Track and Field 2000" and "Nagano Winter Olympics 98" with their gameplay mostly based on minigames and button mashing.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2022, 08:51:18 pm »
The only N64 and PS1 sports games that have really aged that well are a couple of the wrestling titles.

Not sure why you lumped Genesis games in with them, though.  I think it's got a pretty solid lineup of sports games, even though they are kind of same.

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2022, 09:40:41 pm »
Not a fan of sports games in general, but NHLPA 93 for the Mega Drive is a game that I still play once a year or so.

telekill

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2022, 08:11:09 am »
I've never really been a fan of sports games but there were a select few that I've found fun to play with friends. Keep in mind, I don't count racing games as sports as I generally don't play Nascar.

Genesis Favorites:
 - NBA Jam
 - NBA Jam TE
 - NHL '95(?) -- one of the years anyway.

N64 Ffavorites:
 - N/A -- Didn't have an N64 during its lifespan.

PS1 Favorites:
 - NBA In the Zone

Mostly NBA, but it's because NBA Jam played more like a fun arcade mashup than an actual NBA game. I think that's almost the entirety of sports games I've ever enjoyed.

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2022, 08:24:02 pm »
NBA 2000 was a really cool N64 Basketball game you could do both One on One or Season Playoff or Exhibition among other things N64 cartridges hold up forever I have a whole dedicated N64 sports sections filling an entire 2 rows of cartridges in my entertainment center just on Baseball Basketball Hockey Soccer and American Football cartridges

I mean it fills up 2 full rows of space, and I've got so many I also recommend College Hoops 99 for the N64 if you can find a copy as well.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

pzeke

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2022, 09:00:46 pm »
Your Opinion Of PS1 And N64 And Genesis Sports Games?

This topic is a couple of weeks old, but still: how many times are we going to dance around the same topic/question?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 01:45:12 am by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!