Author Topic: Which console had the most badass name? Branding and marketing discussion.  (Read 943 times)

Hello everyone

The emblem only few wear with pride, the badge of badassery that takes an otherwise unassuming piece of mass produced plastic to a realm of 80s lore, 90s nifty, or all around in your face hair band, nosebleeds, feeling like coming off a rollercoaster and saying "again" video game marketing. The Sega Game Console doesn't have the same feeling as say the Sega Megadrive, or the sega dreamcast. One feels like you are buying a kids toy or a plug and play. One feels like you are entering another world of gaming. Like entering the cockpit of a fighter jet. Entire teams put their lives into naming these consoles. What console do you think had the all around most radical name?

Turbografx 16

Turbografx with an X? They were so cool they had a prejudice against using the letters I, C and S together when the much cooler and sexier letter X exists. When you hear Turbografx you just think of leather. You think of Jackie Chan. You think of the destination where you mere mortals seek to be but they are never satisfied so a new chase begins. Like gripping that little samson of your dreams just a mere 5 feet from the stadium events that is worth even more. It's the circle of life, it's the wanting to be somewhere so much you forget the enjoy where you are.  Mixed with an 89 C4 Corvette, a lost boys VHS and lots of coolness. Turbografx just smells of time travel.  It makes it seem like what you are about to experience will change your gaming life forever. And at the time the turbografx had a lot to offer. It's name might be one of the best ever.

Imagine thinking you have drive and someone comes along and tells you that you could have had mega drive? I feel the PAL naming is much better and smoother sounding than genesis.  I don't know why they changed the name for American markets when Mega Drive sounds pretty cool. I love the logo. I love the name.  One thing Sega did better than almost anyone was make things badass. The whole "genesis does what nintendon't" campaigns with "blast processing" and other phrases that even if they held no merit at all, they were just cool as the other side of the pillow and people gravitated towards that.

Almost as cool as this guy. The power glove. Yet another name that makes the wearer of one feel like Rocky Balboa. They say puberty accelerated among power glove owners. But it was probably radiation. 

What is your pick for the most badass console name of all time?  Gamecube? Fitting.  Which console do you feels just rolls off the tongue perfectly and sounds like your wallet opening? 

Thanks for sharing :)

retromangia

PRO Supporter

Sorry I don't have much to add, but that's because you fuckin' nailed it son!  8)

I also would go along with the SEGA consoles.

SEGA Master System ... c'mon this sounds dominant as hell  8)

SEGA Megadrive, also sounds capable of things you weren't used to before ... like owning this magical device empowers you of things beyond imagination  ;D

most other console came with rather humble names. The Nintendo Entertainment System ... perfectly fitting because it is what it is ... same with most other Nintendo consoles ... SONY also doesn't overstyle it when naming their console the Playstation.

So I guess SEGA did it ... Big Names in order to boost competition against strong competitors. Kind of neat  8)

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US !!
WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM !!

telekill

I really thought Sega nailed the names for their systems

Genesis is at the top for me.

Saturn was great... probably second place. I even really liked the logo.

Neptune continued with the great planet theme but sadly was never released. Even looked slick.
 -- For those not knowing about this one, it's a Genesis and 32X combo.

Nomad was a great name for the portable Genesis.

Dreamcast was inventive given the "It's Thinking" tag line they were going with... but not a favorite.

Then the rest of Sega names were basically... well, the names stated what they essentially were...

Game Gear - Gear that plays games.
Sega CD - A Sega system that uses CDs.
32X - The supposed 32 bit add on for the Genesis.

While not bad names, they aren't impressive or impactful.

Outside of what used to be the big 4...

Jaguar was a decent name.
Lynx was a decent name.
Turbo Graphics was decent.

3DO, CDi, Atari **** were all "meh" names.

Same goes for Playstation, Nintendo and Xbox. I got used to the names rather quickly, but their naming never impressed me. In fact, Nintendo names are usually... well they go from ok to horrible. Xbox names are stupid given the numbering. Playstation is at least chronological with the exception of the Vita's stupid name.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 09:46:34 am by telekill »

I'll go with the vary first console the Magnavox Odyssey it was not really much of a game console but the name sounded like it should be a spaceship of from the distant future. I think that the Odyssey is the coolest name for a video game console, but however the worst game console hardware in existence
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

The original Xbox was perfect for it's generation. The black and neon color scheme, the "xtreme" naming, and the X shape to it.

gngtiger

ngl the Pioneer LaserActive was a fantastic name.

Bluemoon

The odyssey 2's logo is comically stretched out but damn I love it

also the odyssey itself is just a pretty good name

pzeke

I don't care for the console, but I've always liked the name Vectrex, as well N-Gage. You nailed the rest.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

Warmsignal

Had I not been a kid and had money to buy my own stuff then, I would have easily picked up a Jaguar on launch.

sworddude

Cougar Boy Is the most badass name for a console if you'd ask me.

If where talking the lamest It's gotta be the sega genesis

Sounds like an old dinosaur from the 70/80's
Your Stylish Sword Master!

pzeke

Cougar Boy Is the most badass name for a console if you'd ask me.

There's an inbred joke somewhere in there...

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!