Author Topic: Have you ever accidentally damaged one of your collectibles? Beginner mistakes.  (Read 1507 times)

Hello everyone :)

As everyone knows, we as humans are designed of flaw and misjudgement. Here I have compiled some of the biggest mistakes new game curators make or even ones me myself has made. As a child I let these woes define me and if I even so much as corrupted a save file on a PS1 memory card or found a surface scratch on a game that probably came that way anyway because I buy used. I'd always blame myself and dwell which is compulsive i'd say.

A Stack Of Games Toppling Over?

I have only been there with action figures and never video games. But you go to organize your games stacking them PS2 cases up just to accidentally bump them with the hip like a mother of 5 boiling the formula hitting the almond milk over. Causing all the cases to tumble over one another. A big ouch for any collector :(. My brother who is a collector has had this happen. And he has been collecting since the 80s. I hate when this happens.

Over Scrubbing A Label. The Magic Eraser Devestator

This one has personally happened to me when I was a rookie in collecting but not with a magic eraser but with just a slightly damp paper towel with a slightly dirty but otherwise mint Pokemon Yellow gameboy cartridges. My experiences with NES had laminated labels allowed for this with no damage whatsoever but instantly the yellow ink and brown ink that made up pikachu's face rubbed clean off and what was left was a faded gross mess :(.  I had to get a repoduction label that looked nothing like the real one. Over scrubbing is a mistake that my brother also made in his earlier days of collecting. We all learn by trial and error. Now I know that it's best to leave GB and GBA games alone. N64 as well. their labels are so delicate.

Corrupted Hard Drives?

This one I feel is hard to do because it tells you not to unplug while the disc is spinning, while the light is on and without fully powering down and not just entering sleep mode. Never unplug while a game is saving. But I think in the PS2 and PS1 days. Many of kids had corrupted save files that I knew from rushing to power down before the game had fully saved.

What other mistakes in the collecting world have you made? Left something in the sun? Room to humid? Disc rot? Accidentally sat on a game box? Or are you

"You miss every shot you don't take" Michael Jordan probably

thank you for sharing.

aliensstudios

When I was younger, all of my GameCube and Wii games sat out on the DVD shelves in my parents house and the spines got bleached by the sun to oblivion. My brother also used to leave game discs out of their cases all of the time. All of these games still work, and oddly, the bleached GameCube spines doesn't really bother me as much as it used to, it's a solemn reminder of my childhood.
I also used to have this plush Mario Wendy's toy with a rubber head that I found in a tree at my elementary school. I played with it so much that it got really worn out and the paint started to slightly wear off Mario's face and head. No Ragrets
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

Yes!! PS1 cases are reeeeeaaally fragile when separating them for cleaning or such ...
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US !!
WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM !!

brothertuc

Games toppling over: Never.
New games always go on the shelf or in the bookcase.

I am older and wiser now, but as a kid, I would leave discs out all the time, and that became my downfall once.
One disc had fallen to the floor and I stepped on it, breaking it.

From my kid years to now, I think I have developed somewhat OCD when it comes to game collecting.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

First off…
That Mr. Perfect gif…I was there in the third row at that Royal Rumble :)
I marked out so hard when he came out. My first live WWF PPV, too.

I don’t recall doing anything incredibly stupid with my games, other than possibly losing a couple. I still have the instruction manual for Link’s Awakening on GB, but I can’t find the game, and I’m really irritated about that because I want to play it again. Same with Dragon Warrior 1 & 2 on GBC (though I may have sold it off years ago and don’t remember). Also Tiger Heli on NES, which I am absolutely certain I owned at some point but can’t find anywhere.
One more thing: years ago, I think my mom threw out almost every NES instruction manual I owned while we were moving. Of course, back then I never thought I would want to keep them anyway.

tripredacus

I kept a high value video game in the basement and then the basement flooded. Does that count?

"You miss every shot you don't take" Michael Jordan probably

That was Wayne Gretzky, actually.

sworddude

removing lables off inserts or cardboard boxes and thus damaging them in the process has happened in my beginning years. fortunately it was rare.

Not my own collectibles though, cause they didn't end up in my collection as a result.

Fortunately not to much lost I did eventually score copies of the few cool games that I did damage. but supply was so plentyfull and cheap that it didn't really bother me al that much. it was a learning experience to see which stickers are impossible to remove and wich aren't. For example laminated lables those even on cardboard you can't remove withouth damaging the box. you don't touch those. but pretty much everything else is removable withouth damaging, also the more sticky a sticker is the better cause than you can pretty much remove it 100% compared to stickers that dried up although dried up stickers are very easy to remove/ risk free as their advantage. but you'll keep some minor residue on the box

I will say though, destroying my cib copy Joe & max for the sega genesis will always haunt me considering I never found another one. If I was less greedy I would have had an excellent copy in the collection with just a small ex rental sticker on the side insert  :P
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 12:57:01 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

fladechen

PRO Supporter

Fortunately I have only two offences in my portfolio: the first was a Uniracers cart that had both screws glued by the previous owner (probably a rental), the glue was hard as rock and I tried scraping it with the tip of a scalpel, leaving the tiniest (but noticeable if you look close enough) dents in the plastic shell; the second was a Luigi's Mansion disc which had a small sticker from the store... when trying to carefully remove the sticker, I damaged the artwork.

My cat has one offense of his own: he's usually not a biter, but one day he chewed half the spine of the case of my Super Smash Bros. Melee basically ruining the cover.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 02:04:02 pm by fladechen »

Warmsignal

Just the other day, damaged a Wii U disc thinking I could clean marker off of it with isopropyl alcohol. Don't do that.

My solution? Re-buy the game, BRAND NEW, like I should have in the first place. Used games just piss me off. Not worth saving a few dollars to get some jacked up copy for less, in terms of modern games. In fact, I'd recommend passing on anything that's written on unless you're happy with that kind of jank. If you try to fix it, you'll just make it worse. Gotta have standards for what's collectible versus what's not. Trashed up copies are not worth collecting IMO.

BinaryMessiah

I have before with stickers or accidentally torn maps and manuals. I now use Bestine to remove any dirt, stickers, glue, disc labels, etc. Stamp collectors use it to remove stamps from things. You just use a q-tip and let it soak for a minute or two and the sticker comes right off and the ink or whatever underneath isn't touched. I've been using it for years now. If it's a metal label or stickers you just pry up a small corner and start swiping underneath and slowly pull up. The only downside is that it evaporates quickly.

retromangia

PRO Supporter

I kept a high value video game in the basement and then the basement flooded. Does that count?

Trip! oh dude I'm so sorry man. Where you able to rescue anything? You just figured out my worst nightmare.

First off…

I don’t recall doing anything incredibly stupid with my games, other than possibly losing a couple. I still have the instruction manual for Link’s Awakening on GB, but I can’t find the game, and I’m really irritated about that because I want to play it again. Same with Dragon Warrior 1 & 2 on GBC (though I may have sold it off years ago and don’t remember). Also Tiger Heli on NES, which I am absolutely certain I owned at some point but can’t find anywhere.
One more thing: years ago, I think my mom threw out almost every NES instruction manual I owned while we were moving. Of course, back then I never thought I would want to keep them anyway.

Wow what a small world! That must have been a life experience of all life experiences. I will never forget when I seen the wrestlemania where Shawn Michaels says "I love you" before giving Ric Flair the sweet chin music live and that wasn't in person :). The atmosphere. I always think of undertaker with your username and childhood. Definitely one of the cooler stories ive come accross. Thanks for sharing. Do you remember who won the royal rumble? Do you frequent other WWE PPV events since?

I'm sorry that happened to you :(  I hope if you havent yet you will one day be able to replace it.

Thank you for sharing everyone.

I was raised where you take care of what you have the best you can, and if something breaks because of you not taking care of it you weren't getting a replacement.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

First off…

Wow what a small world! That must have been a life experience of all life experiences. I will never forget when I seen the wrestlemania where Shawn Michaels says "I love you" before giving Ric Flair the sweet chin music live and that wasn't in person :). The atmosphere. I always think of undertaker with your username and childhood. Definitely one of the cooler stories ive come accross. Thanks for sharing. Do you remember who won the royal rumble? Do you frequent other WWE PPV events since?

I’ll make a long story short so I don’t derail the thread…
I’ve been a WWF/E fan since 1989, and fittingly for this site it was the NES Wrestlemania game (and Nintendo Power’s coverage of it) that made me a fan.
Between early 2001 and about 2008 I went to EVERY WWE event in the Atlanta area: all RAWs and Smackdowns, Royal Rumble ‘02, Armageddon ‘04, and Backlash ‘07. Later attended Wrestlemania 27, along with FanAxxess and the Hall of Fame ceremony headlined by Shawn Michaels.
Haven’t been to an event since WM27 for various reasons.

Undertaker is my all time favorite (he debuted not long after I started watching regularly), hence my username.
Oh, and the Rumble I went to is the one Triple H won.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 08:08:13 pm by undertakerprime »