Author Topic: Do you have a favorite Box art?  (Read 3167 times)

Re: Do you have a favorite Box art?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2022, 11:02:07 pm »
In retro, I prefer the Japanese N64 box arts for consoles and accessories.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

gngtiger

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2022, 06:03:06 pm »
My favorites are the European box art for Ico (I copied that for an art class assignment because of how good it was) but I also really appreciate the vintage seventies look of a lot of the Atari 2600 box art. The airbrush work is phenomenal (please read the book "Art of Atari" if you haven't already.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 11:49:52 am by gngtiger »

gngtiger

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2022, 11:49:15 am »
My favorites are the European box art for Ico (I copied that for an art class assignment because of how good it was) but I also really appreciate the vintage seventies look of a lot of the Atari 2600 box art. The airbrush work is phenomenal (please read the book "Art of Atari" if you haven't already.

Forgot to mention that one of my favorite pieces of unused game artwork was the old Pac-Man artwork for the Atari 2600 by Hero Kimura. Atari rejected it because the ghosts' designs were deemed too scary by Atari.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 12:10:32 pm by gngtiger »

pzeke

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2022, 03:28:11 pm »
Forgot to mention that one of my favorite pieces of unused game artwork was the old Pac-Man artwork for the Atari 2600 by Hero Kimura. Atari rejected it because the ghosts' designs were deemed too scary by Atari.

...And it was rejected before it was even finished!

Hiro Kimura's interpretation of Pac-Man is a whole different game altogether, and it goes without saying that the artwork looks great, but in retrospect, while I don't think it would've been a big deal over in Japan, I'm inclined to believe that type of imagery wouldn't have been well-received in the States back then; I think had they gone with that as the cover, it would've done more harm than good. Or who knows, maybe it wouldn't have been a problem, and the takeaway would've been kids' disappointment over the game not being more like the cover art. The fact of the matter is that would've made for a badass cover. Period.

Anyway, I can't believe I completely forgot mentioning him in my original post—his art is incredible.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2022, 05:22:31 pm »
Very cool! Makes me see pac man differently.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 05:26:19 pm by wartoy »