Author Topic: How do you organize your games and consoles?  (Read 1034 times)

gngtiger

How do you organize your games and consoles?
« on: April 08, 2022, 04:18:42 pm »
I have my collection organized like this:
living room shelf: GameCube, Wii, Genesis and N64 (I have the cartridges stacked between them and the PlayStation games), PS1, PS2, Xbox 360.
Bedroom Shelf: GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Switch (I don't have many of either).
Consoles: I play them on a goodwill-bought entertainment center, and they're organized like this:
Drawer (left to right): Blu-Ray player, Wii, Switch (The dock is kept sideways so you can put the Switch in like a sandwich).
On the middle shelf I have on the left side the N64 (stacked on top of a bunch of Tolkien books) and on the left, there is (stacked bottom to top) PS2, Xbox 360, Retron 5.
Then below that is the box where all the controllers/cables/other stuff is kept. I also keep my one careless DS game (Mario 64 DS) in a binder with coin collection inserts I bought on amazon (it's also where I keep spare PS2 memory cards).
Lastly, I keep one Atari 2600 game (Super Breakout) on top of my bedroom shelf as a display piece.

Re: How do you organize your games and consoles?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 07:58:15 pm »
Everything's together by system, but in a semi-chaotic way:

Media Shelving #1: Xbox 360, 3DS, DS
Media Shelving #2: 360 cont., DS Cont.
Media Shelving #3: 360 cont., Xbox One/Series X, PS4, Switch, SNES, Older CIB stuff
Media Shelving #4: Xbox, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, N64, GB/GBC/GBA, Amiibos
Bookshelf #1: Amiibos cont.
Misc. Shelving: Lego Dimensions
Bookshelf #2: Consoles not currently plugged into TV, Controllers
Entertainment stand: Switch, PS4, Xbox Series X
Tubs in storage: More controllers, Misc. Accessories, Skylanders, Disney Infinity

I'll probably move the Lego Dimensions stuff into storage soon, as I'm in the middle of moving things around as I finish up renovating the area. Beyond that, for my other collections, I've got:
Bookshelves #3-6: Books (Non-Fiction, Reference, and Fiction)
Bookshelves #7-8: Books (Star Trek, Star Wars, Harry Turtledove)
Bookshelf #9: Books (Other Sci-Fi and Fantasy Series)
Bookshelves #10-12: Manga
Bookshelf #11: Lego Sets, DVDs, Trading Card Binders
Bookshelves #12 -18: Board Games
Bookshelves #19-20: TBD
Big-ass Workshop shelving: Retro Action figures (Primarily Star Trek/Star Wars), Lego Sets
In storage: Several dozen Lego sets still sealed that I haven't had time/space to build.

Warmsignal

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 11:31:12 am »
"Game Room" - For the bulk of my games I bought a bunch of those slim-line 3 x 6 media shelves from Best Buy. As of right now, each unit represents a console generation worth, with a few little collectible doodads lining the tops. I group each shelf by console, then by genre. Had to break down a buy one of those plastic accordion style mini shelves to supplement the 7th gen shelf, because there's just so much. Classic systems on a three tier glass and metal entertainment console, housing the 27" Panasonic Tau flat screen. All controllers kept in a three tier roll-about cart.

Bed Room - Modern/HDMI systems on multi tier TV console with the 50" LG 4K. Additional consoles and handled collection kept stored away in tubs.

That's about it.

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 12:15:55 pm »
By system and then each system library is in alphabetical order.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 08:10:10 pm »
First off I want to say this is not to brag I have been collecting for almost 40 years so most of the stuff I have was acquired over long time and alot cheaper than today so no hate please. I am lucky to have very understanding parents who let me transform their downstairs into a large mancave because my home was to small to fit my collection. But I keep a very small part of my collection in my home of stuff I want to play. That said here goes.

Display case 1 boxed nes
Display case 2 boxed snes
Display case 3 handheld systems
Display case 4 special ed too big to fit on shelves
Display case 5 consoles
Display case 6 controlers
Display case 7 statues

Wall 1 loose nes,loose snes,saturn,sega cd,3do
Wall 2 computer,ps1,ps2,ps3,ps4,psp,ds,3ds,gamecube,wii,xbox,n64 cib and loose,neo geo mvs,gameboy,gbc,gamegear,virtualboy,gba carts
Wall 3 xbox 360,xbox one,xbox series x
Wall 4 sega  genesis,master system,32x,dreamcast,switch,boxed gba,gameboy,gbc games,ps vita
Wall 5 more special ed and boxed consoles,atari 2600,5200,jaguar games
Rotating display case neo geo pocket and games   

gngtiger

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 11:55:49 pm »
First off I want to say this is not to brag I have been collecting for almost 40 years so most of the stuff I have was acquired over long time and alot cheaper than today so no hate please. I am lucky to have very understanding parents who let me transform their downstairs into a large mancave because my home was to small to fit my collection. But I keep a very small part of my collection in my home of stuff I want to play. That said here goes.

Display case 1 boxed nes
Display case 5 consoles
Display case 7 statues

Wall 2 computer,ps1,ps2,ps3,ps4,psp,ds,3ds,gamecube,wii,xbox,n64 cib and loose,neo geo mvs,gameboy,gbc,gamegear,virtualboy,gba carts
Wall 4 sega  genesis,master system,32x,dreamcast,switch,boxed gba,gameboy,gbc games,ps vita

Interesting! Are the display cases standard bookshelves or some other type of case?

telekill

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 10:36:11 am »
I don't have a massive collection. I'm sure some of my organization could be seen as sacrilege.

My Genesis, PS2 slim, and PSV are in a tote in my closet for when I want to play them. All accessories and cords are in there with them along with all cartridge based games.

My Game Gear has a custom case I made for it that holds the system, 40 games and the accessories.

My PS1, PS2 and PS4 games are in a special disc holder. It's about the length of a keyboard and holds 120 discs. Keeps them scratch and dust free and is easy to access any of them. The box arts and instruction manuals are in a separate case. The sacrilege part is that the plastic cases are gone; generally handed over to a local game store for reuse.

Then there's a lucky few. Uncharted series, Shenmue series and a handful of others remain complete. Even fewer are lucky enough to be displayed on my wall of fame to represent favorite series. You can view them in my gallery here on VG Collect. I'm currently working on what I'm betting will be my final one... Mass Effect.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 11:28:16 am by telekill »

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 01:11:04 pm »

Display case 1 boxed nes
Display case 5 consoles
Display case 7 statues

Interesting! Are the display cases standard bookshelves or some other type of case?

Regular store display cases and walls have custom built shelves I did myself
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 01:35:25 pm by wartoy »

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2022, 01:18:23 pm »
Poorly

zappman

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2022, 09:59:12 pm »
I used to have my "modern" console games lined up alphabetically, not sorted by system, but I got tired of my brother complaining so I sorted them alphabetically by system since.
My SNES games are in a sturdy box, alphabetized, as well as my loose SFC games in the same box. My boxed SFC games are elsewhere.
My consoles... let's not talk about that haha.