Author Topic: What would you do if you lost your entire collection?  (Read 1367 times)

What would you do if you lost your entire collection?
« on: April 14, 2022, 11:47:11 pm »
Whether it was because of theft, natural disaster, your house burning down, or whatever. How would you proceed following your collection suddenly disappearing from your life? Would you attempt to rebuy everything? Would you pretty much just say "screw it" and leave collecting for good? Would you see it as a sign to collect differently than you had in the past? Discuss.

Re: What would you do if you lost your entire collection?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 11:56:41 pm »
Obviously like most people I'd initially be devastated since my collection is the result of nearly 15 years of game hunting, tracking down hard to find games on ebay and hundreds of game stores, and tons of great memories of finding those games and also my nostalgia for the games themselves. Not only that, but I acquired most of my collection when it was still relatively cheap to collect. I bought a bunch of games for the N64, PS1, PS2 and Dreamcast when very few people were after them and paid just a few bucks for several titles that now sell for hundreds.

After the initial shock and mourning I'd have for my collection, I'd probably use whatever insurance payout I'd get from losing my collection to reacquire some of my most treasured and favorite games, however I wouldn't be repurchasing the vast majority of games I lost. I'd simply use the money for other things such as paying down debts or indulging other interests of mine. Buying a ton of games online has never been my style and because collecting has become so expensive the idea of rebuying everything I lost just doesn't sound appealing. As for games that weren't ones I had a strong connection to, but I felt like playing I'd just buy them online, play them, and then either keep or sell them depending on my experience with them.

In short, I would be a very different type of collector if I had to start all over given most of my collection is the result and product of a different time in collecting.

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2022, 12:07:22 am »
For me, how I'd handle it would vary from collection to collection. For video games, I'd rebuild, but it'd be more selective, mainly just reacquiring the games from my childhood for nostalgia's sake. With the newer systems, I'd probably stop buying physical almost altogether and just stick with digital, especially with how Microsoft and Steam are handling things as I just punch in my account into a new machine and I'm back up and running. Hell, my Steam inventory is worth more than my entire physical collection at this point.

As for my other collections, I likely wouldn't rebuild my trading card and vintage action figure collections, mainly as I never get a chance to play the card games anymore and that the figures I collect have been getting harder to find decent deals on. My book and Lego collections I'd certainly rebuild, but with more new stuff than trying to reacquire what I'd lost. And I'd rebuild my board game collection, but a bit more discerningly, so I'd only be grabbing games with staying power in my game group rather than ones we've only played once and called it good.

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2022, 12:44:53 am »
I'd probably focus on a different hobby for a while, and then just get a new Switch and PS5 at some point. I don't think I'd want to try to replace everything, maybe just some of the most absolutely vital important stuff to me, if it's easily replaceable.

I'd be pretty upset at first, but probably feel a sense of relief after a while, to be perfectly honest. They are just things at the end of the day, and lugging and storing boxes of all my gaming stuff over the years from place to place has always been a pain. Through the magic and wonders of emulation, I could still play most games I once had very easily and for free.

telekill

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 08:19:47 am »
If it was theft, I'd create a police report with a detailed list. It would be a miracle to get it back but there would be a shot.

If it was a natural disaster or loss of house... well... clean up and getting back on track for the family would take priority. Once back on my feet though... I'd rebuy favorites. I essentially bought favorites only initially but I'd probably never recover about half my collection.

The most devastating loss for me in my collection would be my Game Gear that I've had since 1991. I took that thing everywhere. Buying a second Game Gear wouldn't feel the same. It's a sentimental thing.

Next close for devastation would be the shadowboxes that I've created. All the time and effort I've put into them would be destroyed or lost. It would be heartbreaking.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 10:43:28 am by telekill »

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2022, 09:11:49 am »
If it happens I will just change to pinball and not do video games outside of digital on PC.

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2022, 09:51:53 am »
I'd take the massive insurance payout and probably invest or dump into an index fund stock.  Maybe hold back like 10k to buy some systems, everdrives, odes, etc.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2022, 10:28:02 am »
I'd probably cry, first. Then yeah, I'd just start recollecting again.

dhaabi

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2022, 12:20:25 pm »
Without not actually being in the situation, I imagine that I'd re-evaluate the idea of amassing physical "collection" items (games, books, comics, etc.) entirely when digital options for them are readily available. By far, games comprise the bulk of these types of items I own, but I may just give up everything at that point if it had not all been lost already.

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2022, 12:42:32 pm »
If such a thing was to happen, I would completely give up on collecting.
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

brothertuc

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2022, 01:36:24 pm »
I'm not that far in, but I'd definitely take a long brake... Then start over.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2022, 08:38:08 pm »
Without a doubt I would never collect anything again! I would just try to enjoy the rest of my time on planet earth I always wanted to take up fishing so maybe that.

fladechen

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2022, 09:01:14 pm »
Wow, I'd be devastated... but would have to live with that, as I wouldn't start collecting all over again. I think I would play on my phone for a while, maybe buy another Switch I don't know. It makes me sad only thinking about losing my games, as I've been collecting since my teenage years.

sworddude

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2022, 04:56:24 pm »
With the current state of the market, I'd probably quit collecting, just grab a couple of dozen games that I had nostalgia for physical and everdrive/emulate the rest and call it a day. I'd also still buy current gen stuff that I have some interest in.

The supply chain is less, prices are pretty high, if I wanted to get a collection as I used to I'd either have to be more patient with less reward or pay allot an leave my wallet crying. However finding deals was part of the fun for my taste so the latter would not really be an option If I actually decided to rebuilt the collection. For just the nostalgia games and calling it quits afterwards sure than I'd just buy those games. but in that scenario I just want to be done with it.

If it was as easy to collect for as it was years ago, I might build it back somewhat but when you lost that much it's definitely demotivating won't be as fun as the first time. Deal hunting aside especially for cib it ain't that easy to find stuff in excellent shape, lightly sun faded genesis boxes are also pretty underrated. It's quite tough to find a box that is in excellent shape and has zero sun fading. I had to go through 20+ copies of say ristar to get a perfect copy with no white edges and no sun fade at all to name one example. the yellows and reds are quite susceptible to some light sunfade.

It's like an rpg where you reached a nice point and got those juicy stats upgrades and that you had to start over from lvl 1 while you have nothing left. I've seen some people rebuild a collection from scratch multiple times, but that seems like a big waste of money and time if you'd ask me.

Collecting these days can still yield nice results but the only reason I stuck with it is because I've scored most stuff years ago. It's mostly just finishing up the minor things since I'm already in it quite deep anyway. Mostly bonus points in the current era really.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 05:11:17 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Warmsignal

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2022, 10:05:51 pm »
Re-buy most of my favorite consoles, and either mod them to load the ROMs and/or purchase some Ever Drive carts. I might start picking up current games again, but that's it. As others have stated, find a different hobby that's not so materially excessive and expensive.