Author Topic: What are your top 10 favorite musical artists/bands/composers?  (Read 3898 times)

gngtiger

Here's my (somewhat) definitive list.

10: AC/DC
-I haven't listened to much of their songs, but I REALLY liked what I heard.
9: The Beatles.
-They're The Beatles, that's why.
8: Ludwig Van Beethoven.
-Because Beethoven (DUN-DUN-DUN-DUUUUUUUUUN!)
7: Christophe Heral/Billy Martin
-Only on here through their work on the Rayman Origins and Legends soundtracks. Absolute bangers.
6: Ralph Stanley.
-A bluegrass artist I was introduced to through his performance in "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" I don't much care for his old stuff, but his post "O Brother" stuff is wondrous. He has this golden voice that sounded even better as he aged. His covers of O Death and I'll Fly Away are spectacular.
5: P.O.D. (Payable on Death)
-A Nu-Metal/ Rap-rock fusion band. They're my dad's favorite and was lucky enough to see them in concert. I've listened to practically their entire back catalogue.
4: Modest Mussorgsky
-A Russian composer from the mid-1800s. His works can be described as grandiose and chilling. I adore Night on Bald Mountain to Death, but also fairly enjoyed Pictures at an Exhibition.
3: Queen.
-Freddie Mercury has the greatest voice mankind was ever graced with, not exaggerating.
2: Weird Al Yankovic
-He's amazing and no one can convince me otherwise.
1: John Williams
-The true and undisputed king of the film score (though he may one day be dethroned by Hans Zimmer).

Honorable mentions: composers Ottorino Respighi and Anatoly Lyadov because they each have one piece I really really love (Pines of Rome and Kikimora respectively).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 03:55:16 pm by gngtiger »

fladechen

PRO Supporter

Re: What are your top 10 favorite musical artists/bands/composers?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 02:46:47 pm »
Not in this particular order: Green Day, The Offspring, Skid Row, Crashdïet, Mötley Crüe, The Pretty Reckless, The Ramones, Chiodos, Underøath, Ariana Grande

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 04:53:38 pm »
My tastes in music are kind of all over the place. I mostly prefer 80's music (metal, rock, new wave, pop, synth wave), but also enjoy listening to classic rock (60's & 70's), most music from the early 90's, & other songs beyond the early 90's.

I also have developed a fondness for techno music. When I decide to try working out or doing something physical, techno music makes me feel more like machine rather than a man, which helps me offset fatigue. At least that's the way I'd like it to work.

I don't have a "top 10 list", but I'll list some of my favorite artists / bands in no particular order:

1. Jimmy Hendrix
2. Van Halen (this includes both David Lee Roth & Sammy Hagar as lead singers & individually)
3. Foreigner
4. Journey
5. Dokken
6. Winger
7. Rom Di Prisco (He is king when it comes to techno music)
8. Rainbow (mostly with Joe Lynn Turner as lead singer)
9. Dio
10. Billy Joel
11. Bon Jovi
12. Twisted Sister
13. Alice Cooper
14. Billy Idol
15. The Pointer Sisters
16. Gloria Estefan
17. Jon Secada
18. Michael Bolton
19. Paula Abdul
20. Ronnie Milsap
21. New Edition (this includes Bobby Brown early after he went solo, Bel Biv Devoe, Johnny Gill, & Ralph Tresvant)
22. Weird Al Yankovic
23. Whitney Houston
24. Depeche Mode
25. Hall & Oates

There are others, but I'll need to stop it here considering I've gone well beyond 10.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 05:36:03 pm »
Here's my (somewhat) definitive list.

10: AC/DC
-I haven't listened to much of their songs, but I REALLY liked what I heard.
9: The Beatles.
-They're The Beatles, that's why.
8: Ludwig Van Beethoven.
-Because Beethoven (DUN-DUN-DUN-DUUUUUUUUUN!)
7: Christophe Heral/Billy Martin
-Only on here through their work on the Cayman Origins and Legends soundtracks. Absolute bangers.
6: Ralph Stanley.
-A bluegrass artist I was introduced to through his performance in "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" I don't much care for his old stuff, but his post "O Brother" stuff is wondrous. He has this golden voice that sounded even better as he aged. His covers of O Death and I'll Fly Away are spectacular.
5: P.O.D. (Payable on Death)
-A Nu-Metal/ Rap-rock fusion band. They're my dad's favorite and was lucky enough to see them in concert. I've listened to practically their entire back catalogue.
4: Modest Mussorgsky
-A Russian composer from the mid-1800s. His works can be described as grandiose and chilling. I adore Night on Bald Mountain to Death, but also fairly enjoyed Pictures at an Exhibition.
3: Queen.
-Freddie Mercury has the greatest voice mankind was ever graced with, not exaggerating.
2: Weird Al Yankovic
-He's amazing and no one can convince me otherwise.
1: John Williams
-The true and undisputed king of the film score (though he may one day be dethroned by Hans Zimmer).

Honorable mentions: composers Ottorino Respighi and Anatoly Lyadov respectively because they each have one piece I really really love (Pines of Rome and Kikimora respectively).

First off, had to reply because yes, Weird Al is amazing. He’s my #1 and I have VIP tickets to his concert next month :D (will be my 3rd Al concert, first time meeting him in person)

I’ve never been big into commercial music and my tastes are a bit strange. (Plus, this may be my old age showing but 95% of music made after 2005 is moronic trash). So I don’t really have a top 10 of individuals/bands, just a list of artists I like.

1) Weird Al, naturally.
2) Jim Johnston, Jimmy Hart, CFO$, def rebel, and anyone who’s made entrance music for WWE. I collect the music as a hobby, do my own editing and remastering, organize and curate it. I possess a number of entrance themes that have never been released.
3) Yuzo Koshiro, Michiru Yamane, Nobuo Uematsu, and other video game composers.
4) John Williams, James Horner, Danny Elfman, and other movie composers.
5) Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World and Shout are two of my favorites
6) Kiss - they have some cool stuff and God Gave Rock & Roll To You 2 is another one of my favorites
7) The Birthday Massacre - only discovered their stuff a couple years ago but it’s right up my alley.

Most everything else I like is individual songs, not particular artists.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 05:44:19 pm by undertakerprime »

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 05:40:11 pm »
Gold tier post! I been wishing music would be more discussed  here as my musical tastes have been all over the place lol. I will try to narrow a top 10 :)

Not in order.

1. Britney Spears - Britney Spears catelog is finely tuned dance simplicity in its purest sexualized form. It is easy to sing and even easier to feel. She at this point is about as American staple as coca cola and the big mac.

2. Beyonce - Beyonce has 30 or more hits that hit me in my soul. At one point I thought she was overrated but I was uncultured to her catelog of work. It's basically soul food but in music form. Lots of love songs that I enjoy.

3. The Beatles - I will say the beatles got me through a bad time in my life. Hearing "let it be" at only in my 20s took me to a place before spotify streams and wap. I was lifted. Musically the beatles are and will always be the best. It's like the Michael Jordan of music. Some will singer better. Some will strum better. Some will dance better. But none will do all 3 as well and as commerical as the beatles.

4. Backstreet Boys - Duwop sound lost in translation revived with a new twist. Influential and real.

5. Lil Wayne - The best punchline rapper of all time. Lines like "Gs move in silence like lasagna" and more. Layers of creativity that started a new sound.

6. Taylor Swift - Brings class and actual artistry into a dying music industry and keeps song writing real and natural. A well rounded individual.

7. Green Day - Like a high heel, so elevated above similar artists that it damn near hurts. Green Day paved the way for the parmores, blinks and Olivia Rodrigos and all them pop punk singers. Influential. And raw. About the best and underated instrumentally.

8. Michael Jackson - The man moved in ways humans werent meant to. He glided and made us think gravity died for a split second. He was like an auora more than a human being. Like a logo on a sneaker tongue. Like a kellogs box. You see it everyday it doesn't register you are witnesses a mortal do the impossible. He could walk on water and we'd just say it's Mike being Mike. He could sing. Coreograph. He was it all.

9. Eminem - I fell out of liking him because of his newer trash. But Eminem was and is the greatest lyricist of all time. He is a wordsmith.

10. Frankie Valli and the 4 seasons, Madonna or Sia - Idk for the 10 spot. You guys can pick. A entertaining queen of the 80s. The fathers of duwop. Or one of the best voices in modern pop.

Honorable mentions - Shania Twain, Metallica, NWA, Outkast,  Grandmaster Flash, Run DMC, Blondie and Justin Timberlake.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 07:56:11 pm »
I'm just going to really list the bands that have been used heavily in my current rotation

- BAND-MAID
Who knew Hard Rock could be this cute? In all seriousness they are the best "modern" Hard Rock band in my opinion  that I have come across. Recommendations: ORDER, DOMINATION, DICE, MANNERS, WARNING!!!. even if you don't like listening to foreign languages check out The Dragon Cries, or their instrumental songs Don't be Long, and Onset

- Soilwork
Melodic Death Metal. Recommendations: Stålfågel, Death Diviner, Stabbing the Drama, Desperado

- Spiritual Beggars
Stoner Metal. This band can get broken down by who's the Singer as all 3 have a style that's distinct to them. I perfer Spice and JB to Apollo But that's mainly due to perfering Apollo's other work.
Recommendations: Wise as a Serpent, Diamonds Under Pressure, Killing Time, Black Feathers, As Pera Ad Astra, Nowhere to go

- Clutch
Recommendations: In Walks Barbarella, A Quick Death in Texas, 10001110101, Willie Nelson, Promoter... You know what just throw a dart at the wall and play whatever comes up

- The Ramones
Punk Rock. Do I really need to explain this one? Recommendations: the KKK Took My Baby Away, R.A.M.O.N.E.S., I'm Against it, Now I want to sniff some Glue

- Foreigner
You know what, no I'm not writing anything about this one. Not even Recommendations

- Lucifer
Occult Rock. Johanna Sadonis is likely my favorite Female singer (if not her it's Simone from Epica) if you like the sound of Classic Rock/Metal but want something new give them a try. Recommendations: Bring me his Head, Flanked by Snakes, Reaper on your Heels, Ghosts

- Overkill
Thrash Metal at Its best. Still making music to this day and it's been constantly getting better and better  especially since Iornbound. Recommendations: Welcome to the Garden State, Drunken Wisdom, Armorist, Give a Little, Bitter Pill

- Symphony X
Progessive/Symphonic Metal. I'd say Russell Allen is my favorite Male vocalist. Recommendation: The Odyssey

- Gus G
Dream Evil, Mystic Prophecy, Firewind and his Solo albums have been in my rotation for quite a long while now.
Recommendations:
Dream Evil: HMJ, No Way
Mystic Prophecy: Sign of the Cross, Dark Side of the Moon
Firewind: the Silent Code, World on Fire, Ode to Leonidas
Solo: Summer Days, What lies Below, Mr. Mason, Letting Go

Could I have named a bunch of bands everyone knows? Yes. While I named a couple I didn't want to write anythimg about them. So... F*ck it. How do you find new stuff if you keep naming the things everyone else does time after time?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 07:59:52 pm by redblaze57 »

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 02:51:29 am »
10. Buckethead
He would probably be higher on the list if he didn't release so much trash, haha. That said, his best work is absolutely amazing.

9. Origin
Chaotic grindfest at its best. If you like grindcore, check out the album Informis Infinitas Inhumanitas.

8. Oh Laura
A small Swedish indie band who only released one album, but the singer Frida Öhrn turns everything she touches into gold.

7. Arch Enemy
Pre-Angela Gossow, its just raw death metal hitting you in the face like a freight train.

6. Slipknot
Probably just a lot of nostalgia, but their three first albums with their rawness gets me every time.

5. Primus (anything with Les Claypool)
Les' bass playing and unique sound was the reason I got interested in the bass to begin with and my playstyle is heavily influenced by him.

4. Dark Tranquility
Everything up to Damage Done is pure gold. The albums after that are still good, but there is something special about their earlier albums. The Gallery is one of the best albums ever made.

3. Nobuo Uematsu
Hands down my favorite game composer. The OST for FFVIII is an absolute masterpiece.

2. Opeth
It doesn't really matter what they are going to play, its going to be an experience. While most people regard Blackwater Park as their magnum opus, Still Life the one that ranks the highest for me.

1. Metallica
I live and breathe this band. Death Magnetic is kind of meh, but the rest of their albums I love to death, even St. Anger.

soera

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 06:54:59 pm »
My taste is kinda weird. But that doesnt just describe my music tastes.   :o

Anyhow, my number one has been and will always be Celine Dion. Her voice is magic.

My favorite rock/metal band is Sevendust.

My favorite pop/rapper is Eminem.

My favorite country singer is ... no one. Its garbage.  :-X

Bluemoon

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2022, 06:58:30 pm »
My music taste is a weird confusing mess,
so in some vague order: (starting with my favourites)
Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, Lemon Demon, I don't know how but they found me, the sherlocks, Oasis, the KLF, the Jam, orphan boy, elbow

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2022, 10:07:12 pm »
The top 5 are definitely in order, but the other 5 are just some of my favorite bands.

1. Lush
2. My Bloody Valentine
3. Curve
4. Republica
5. Orgy
6. Marilyn Manson (pre-Golden Age of Grotesque at least)
7. Tears for Fears
8. Deadsy
9. Nine Inch Nails
10. Medicine

stealthrush

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2022, 10:21:19 pm »
1. Korn
2. Weezer
3. Placebo
4. Thrice
5. AFI
6. Stryper
7. The Aquabats!
8. Mushroomhead
9. The Crüxshadows
10. Deadsy

Honorable Mention: Queen, Garbage, Michael Jackson, The Birthday Massacre, Limp Bizkit, Ozma, Linkin Park, X JAPAN, Flaw, P.O.D.

https://www.last.fm/user/bawitback

alligo

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2022, 01:25:19 pm »
Tyler the creator (GOAT)
Yoko Shimomura
Nobuo Uematsu
Yuzo Koshiro
Hideaki Kobayashi
$uicideboy$
Sayonara Boy
Yung Lean
SchoolBoy Q
Soichi Terada
https://vgcollect.com/alligo

I don't need a guitar, I'm a Rockstar

brothertuc

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2022, 02:16:21 pm »
No particular order:

Bee Gees
Manic Street Preachers
Michael Learns To Rock
Meat Loaf
Elton John
Sparks
Aerosmith
Bon Jovi
Britney Spears
Chris de Burgh

Warmsignal

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2022, 11:13:38 am »
10 Years - In particular, their earlier stuff. It's kind of like if Tool was more post-grunge, and just overall more pleasant.
Offspring - How can I not pick them? Been listening since I was a child. The old stuff, the new stuff, it's all catchy pump you up music.
Dead Letter Circus - It's like if U2 was actually fun to listen to, a bit more edgy, and a bit more proggish.
Fear Before The March of Flames - In particular, their later work. It's weird, it's catchy, it's progressive in style, it's satisfying.
Silversun Pickups - It's like Smashing Pumpkins minus the shrill vocals, and the songs aren't so dull and predictable, it's good.
Death Cab for Cutie - It's just good honest, unpretentious singer/song writer material. Melancholy, but hopeful.
Chevelle - Yeah, it's kinda butt-rock, but it's thinking man's butt rock. The songs are well crafted and thought provoking Tool worship with a poppy flair.
Billy Talent - It's like Billy Idol, but if he had talent? Just a sort of spastic punk rock band, with interesting and fun sounds.
Rishloo - Weird and cool modern progressive rock. It's a trip.
MGMT - It's like if modern day pop music wasn't offensively stupid. A good listen.

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2022, 11:46:18 am »

10. Deadsy

You are awesome! Deadsy fans are an endangered species now. I guess that makes sense since it's been nearly 20-years since they released anything.