Author Topic: Request for new data field "Local Item Name"  (Read 1056 times)

zappman

PRO Supporter

Request for new data field "Local Item Name"
« on: July 21, 2022, 08:02:57 pm »
I would like to make a request/suggestion for a new data field called "Local Item Name" or something similar.

For each item in the database the default value for this new field "Local Item Name" would be the same as the "Item Name" which is really like a "Global Item Name".

However, if this new field was treated like the "Note Field" each user would be able to set the "Local Item Name" to something they wanted.

An example would be "Need For Speed: Carbon" instead of "Need For Speed Carbon".

If the website sorted and displayed a users collection by using the "Local Item Name" it would allow the users to choose how their collection is displayed. If a user does not make a an entry into the "Local Item Field" their collection would be displayed exactly as it is now.

I think the addition of this field, would make a lot of users happy, and would eliminate a lot of arguing/fighting over Item Names.

If you are reading this post, what do you think? reply below.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 08:04:57 pm by zappman »

Re: Request for new data field "Local Item Name"
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 09:03:26 pm »
I concur. Additionally, not only allowing users to sort by their preferences, but allowing OCD name changes that will help keep a series together, regardless of what is written on the spine, or which creative naming liberties the publishers/developers came up with, games like 007 and goldeneye, or bond, which end up in three places of the alphabet, can now be simply in the 007 part of alphabet if one so chose, or stuff like Nickelodeon/Dreamwork/Disney, that are not consistently named as such, can finally be united together. If local item name, refers to the users preference, that's cool. I personally like the idea of series/subset name, which might define the parameters for local name a bit better, so as to reduce variations in naming between users for the same game/item.
PSX LEGACY

A Physical Chronicle of games for posterity.

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 10:22:12 pm »
I would like to make a request/suggestion for a new data field called "Local Item Name" or something similar.

For each item in the database the default value for this new field "Local Item Name" would be the same as the "Item Name" which is really like a "Global Item Name".

However, if this new field was treated like the "Note Field" each user would be able to set the "Local Item Name" to something they wanted.

An example would be "Need For Speed: Carbon" instead of "Need For Speed Carbon".

If the website sorted and displayed a users collection by using the "Local Item Name" it would allow the users to choose how their collection is displayed. If a user does not make a an entry into the "Local Item Field" their collection would be displayed exactly as it is now.

I think the addition of this field, would make a lot of users happy, and would eliminate a lot of arguing/fighting over Item Names.

If you are reading this post, what do you think? reply below.

Heyy glad to see you saw my post haha
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 09:31:54 am »
Local Item Name may be the wrong word. What it sounds like instead would be

- Custom Item Name
As an option that only appears as a field when adding an item or editing an item in collection.

For example, I have this item in my collection
https://vgcollect.com/item/138003
Which has a name of "Sonic Boom: Emoji Plush - Happy Sonic"
but when I am looking at my collection list, I would want it to be named "Sonic stuffed animal"

And that name would only appear to me when looking at collection.
Not when looking at the item entry itself.
Not when seeing search results.
Not when viewing another person's swag toys section of their collection who has it

zappman

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 11:38:27 am »
Local Item Name may be the wrong word. What it sounds like instead would be

- Custom Item Name
As an option that only appears as a field when adding an item or editing an item in collection.
I am OK with "Custom Item Name"
Yes, the option to change My "Custom Item Name" only appears as a field when adding an item or editing an item in collection.

For example, I have this item in my collection
https://vgcollect.com/item/138003
Which has a name of "Sonic Boom: Emoji Plush - Happy Sonic"
but when I am looking at my collection list, I would want it to be named "Sonic stuffed animal"
Exactly, what I suggested :)

And that name would only appear to me when looking at collection.
And that name would only appear to me when looking at or  editing my collection.

Not when looking at the item entry itself.
I agree, if you mean, "Not when looking at the item entry itself" when browsing the database.

Sort of agree. I believe if I search for the "Custom Item Name" I have in My collection, I should be able to see the Item in "My collection".

Not when viewing another person's swag toys section of their collection who has it
Yes, I agree, the "Custom Item Name" I use in my collection would never be seen by another user.

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2022, 11:43:20 am »
But I'd like to stress that before implementing this feature, it would require first to implement the long-requested notifications for owned items changes. So if someone has a custom name in their collection and the item title changes, they wouldn't notice the change if they have a custom name applied to the item. Another reason why we urgently need to implement owned item edit notifications.
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2022, 12:11:39 pm »
Sort of agree. I believe if I search for the "Custom Item Name" I have in My collection, I should be able to see the Item in "My collection".

We can't currently search inside of collection as it is.

aliensstudios

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2022, 12:15:55 pm »
This is such a great idea and would cure my hang ups with the way the style guide classifies/titles certain games and objects.

We can't currently search inside of collection as it is.
This would also be a killer feature.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 12:53:15 pm »
I'll echo the sentiment for custom item name with an option for users to see items listed by custom item name (where applicable) and item name (where custom item name is null)