Author Topic: Is There Any Evidence There Are People Buying To Dispose Retro?  (Read 1484 times)

Is There Any Evidence There Are People Buying To Dispose Retro?
« on: October 15, 2023, 08:16:56 pm »
Is this a thing? I want to know, because I know how a lot of people think and I know human nature quite well, being a punching bag most my entire lifetime

My question is? A there some people out there that are picking up old hardware and games just to toss them across the yard or use them as coasters? that should be illegal in my opinion, because they have no excuse to do these things other than to hose the video games of Olk.

and shrink the physical copies down even further, than drive up the price for others to have them like for example, people that only own museums or the extremely rich for them to own or own legally.

Human beings will rob you of everything except your soul, and it's always been this way even before most of the stories of ancients. if you are not a complete SOB then you are not completely human in my opinion, but that is actually a good thing because that actually means could actually have more God given power in your future.

anyway I wanted to know does anybody have any proof of what I just asked in the thread title???
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Is There Any Evidence There Are People Buying To Dispose Retro?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2023, 11:48:19 pm »
Back in the day I'd heard of people throwing away their kid's old game consoles with the mentality of "who'd want these old things?" Some people thought of old game carts of discs the same way they did Betamax, 8track or some other outdated technology, but I highly doubt with the internet that many people are doing this now. Sure, some are going to be tossed out due to years of neglect or damage, but for the most part people will at least try and donate them or sell them if they're unwanted. If anything, people are doing what they can to preserve and restore old game consoles since there is so much interest and money to be had in doing so. So no, I doubt anyone is just throwing away old consoles just because these days.

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2023, 04:32:42 am »
Why would people spend money on stuff just to destroy it for others. That's just ridiculous. Feels like the kind of thing that somebody with a "the entire world is against me" mindset would say.
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2023, 09:30:54 am »
Why would people spend money on stuff just to destroy it for others. That's just ridiculous. Feels like the kind of thing that somebody with a "the entire world is against me" mindset would say.

Maybe because the entire world IS against me and always was, yes i am used to walking through the valley of death and even was tortured for more than a year. By a doctor

Now he could vary well burn for what he did to me all 3 of them. And i don't lite fires
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 09:33:05 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 02:53:09 pm »
It would be insane to buy something with the intent to destroy it and make it more rare. If someone bought 999,999 copies of Mary Kate and Ashley's Meltdown at McDonald's, it's true that they could drive up the cost of the last remaining copy to $1,000,000. But the amount they would have to spend to do this would be way more than $1,000,000. So there would be no reason other than hating both money and fun.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2023, 03:14:57 pm »
Not really nowadays, but I know Superman 64 and Shaq-Fu recieved plenty of much needed abuse back in the days around 2009. But even then that was just "Hey let's destroy this shitty game because that would be more fun than playing it." Not nearly enough copies were destroy to make a dent in the price

« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 08:48:29 pm by redblaze57 »

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2023, 05:58:36 pm »
It would be insane to buy something with the intent to destroy it and make it more rare. If someone bought 999,999 copies of Mary Kate and Ashley's Meltdown at McDonald's, it's true that they could drive up the cost of the last remaining copy to $1,000,000. But the amount they would have to spend to do this would be way more than $1,000,000. So there would be no reason other than hating both money and fun.

Ever heard of hackers? well, the ones I've had to experience had $1000.00+ gaming laptops and all they used them for was to bust software sometimes on their very own machines. And mine too. Imagine only buying extremely expensive primitive WIFI equipment, nooooooooo not to play any games like they were meant for, but just for the pleasure of script breaking.

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2023, 08:12:15 pm »
There isn't really evidence of this.  There has been situations of people in the collectors market buying up copies of more rare games, which keeps certain ones high price wise, but no one is buying a 100 copies of Super Mario World just to destroy it and raise the value.  Have people destroyed games for kicks? Sure, but that doesn't factor into the value of the game.

pzeke

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2023, 10:23:02 pm »
As I mentioned before somewhere around here, I know of people who've bought and hoard multiple copies of certain games, like Little Samson for example. But buying rare, expensive games just to trash them? Seems like something we would've seen on YouTube by now.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2023, 05:47:45 pm »
As I mentioned before somewhere around here, I know of people who've bought and hoard multiple copies of certain games, like Little Samson for example. But buying rare, expensive games just to trash them? Seems like something we would've seen on YouTube by now.

Not sure everyone does stuff in public you know??

NO APPS NEEDED

sworddude

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2023, 06:12:50 am »
I'm sure some people on this world dispose of retro stuff cause they hate it. but it's a super minority and it happens with every and anything I wouldn't worry about it.

Crazy folks exist. but it's a more rare scenario with stuff going up in value. so aside from retro fodder that nobody cares about I kinda doubt much of note is getting destroyed these days.

Not Retro but there was this one guy that bought 100's of rosalina amiibo and destroyed them while they where worth a crap ton. That was posted online. The guy was called Mariotehplumber.

For the occasional entertainment vid people destroy a cart/console or 2. DK oldies destroyed a GBA sp IQue on camera once.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 11:16:16 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

pzeke

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2023, 01:36:23 pm »

Where exactly on planet Earth do you live when we've had morons on YouTube post videos of them destroying expensive shit, like iPhones and other tech just to give an example. Given the nature of what would be destroyed, say a complete copy of Mighty Final Fight or a sealed copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga, I can guaran-fucking-tee you some jackass will post it online.

Personally, if I had money by the truckloads, I'd do the opposite and get as many graded games as I could to save them from their imprisonment; in fact, I may be misremembering, but I think I saw someone once on YouTube doing that.

[...] DK oldies destroyd a GBA sp IQue on camera once.

It's actually worse than that: the dumb fuck didn't know what it was, believing it to be a Chinese knockoff. What's worse? The dude that did the destroying is the owner, which more than anything exemplifies their lack of knowledge and expertise given the kind of business and type of establishment they purport to understand and care about.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2023, 03:04:34 pm »

Where exactly on planet Earth do you live when we've had morons on YouTube post videos of them destroying expensive shit, like iPhones and other tech just to give an example. Given the nature of what would be destroyed, say a complete copy of Mighty Final Fight or a sealed copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga, I can guaran-fucking-tee you some jackass will post it online.

Personally, if I had money by the truckloads, I'd do the opposite and get as many graded games as I could to save them from their imprisonment; in fact, I may be misremembering, but I think I saw someone once on YouTube doing that.

[...] DK oldies destroyd a GBA sp IQue on camera once.

It's actually worse than that: the dumb fuck didn't know what it was, believing it to be a Chinese knockoff. What's worse? The dude that did the destroying is the owner, which more than anything exemplifies their lack of knowledge and expertise given the kind of business and type of establishment they purport to understand and care about.

Don't waste your money on more older than 2004 games physical ok? just buy them off archive sellers from etsy, but they usually do not say where they work ok?

NO APPS NEEDED