Author Topic: Steam Deck is Glorious - Change my Mind  (Read 1342 times)

dashv

PRO Supporter

Steam Deck is Glorious - Change my Mind
« on: August 13, 2022, 06:08:25 pm »

Anybody here got one?

It’s great and can do far more than advertised.

Retro Arch
Xemu
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate
Epic Game Store
Steam

So far I have played:
Steam:
Ori and the Will of the Wisps (start to finish)
Nier Automata (couple of hours in)
20XX
ReCore
Horizon Zero Dawn
Aperature Desk Job

Steam Streaming from my PC
Crysis

Game Pass
Mortal Kombat

Xemu
Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate
Simpsons Hit n Run

It’s actually gotten me back into PC gaming and tearing through my PC backlog.

Re: Steam Deck is Glorious - Change my Mind
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 06:29:32 pm »
I haven't got one yet, I wanted to see how people fared with it before making the jump to get one - I've always been a console gamer so Steam isn't something I am very familiar with.

Have they released the dock yet? That was also another reason why I didn't jump in as I was hoping to get that component too.

It handles XEmu okay? One of the other points of interest is emulation. I am very eager to get a decent PS2-HD setup as, sadly I can't play my 250+ PS2 games I own due to them looking rubbish on a HDTV. If the Steam Deck can handle PS2/Xbox Emu without drops and gets the dock for a TV then I will be quite eager to get one!

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 12:09:58 pm »
I haven't got one yet, I wanted to see how people fared with it before making the jump to get one - I've always been a console gamer so Steam isn't something I am very familiar with.

Have they released the dock yet? That was also another reason why I didn't jump in as I was hoping to get that component too.

It handles XEmu okay? One of the other points of interest is emulation. I am very eager to get a decent PS2-HD setup as, sadly I can't play my 250+ PS2 games I own due to them looking rubbish on a HDTV. If the Steam Deck can handle PS2/Xbox Emu without drops and gets the dock for a TV then I will be quite eager to get one!

The dock hasn’t been released yet. I know that’s a draw for some but I will rarely play in docked mode.

Xemu is hit and miss. That’s more the state of the emulator and less steam deck. Simpsons Hit n Run runs great. If it shows as playable on the Xemu comparability list, you will probably be okay.

I haven’t tried PS2 yet, but there is an emulator available.

Honestly, the steam deck isn’t perfect. I’m sure you can easily find a lot it can’t do.

But I’ve been consistently and positively surprised as I’ve thrown different things at it.

It can do all it claims and more.

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 03:31:53 pm »
I've had my Steam Deck since I want to say April, maybe May and I have been loving it so far. Obviously not only because of being able to play PC games on a handheld but also being able to play more demanding emulators on a handheld. For example, I used the SD to play through Yakuza on PS2 for the first time and doing the same thing with Yakuza 2. It's not perfect by any means but it is really damn cool if you like using handhelds.

I myself am waiting for the Steam Dock to be on sale. That said, there is a 3rd party dock that people are vouching for so I am currently waiting for that to arrive. In the mean time, I have this dock I bought from ebay and by all accounts its pretty good but I am sure Steam will have more on theirs to compliment the deck,

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 05:09:30 pm »
Got mine last Thursday.  I've replayed Bastion.  I've played a bunch of Death Road to Canada.  I've finally started playing some of the PS1 games I missed out on as a kid.  Valkyrie Profile seems really good, only 2 hours in though.

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 05:37:15 pm »
I just have zero interest in a handheld or console without physical media.

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 11:01:49 pm »

This uses all of the physical media.

I can dump my GC games to a USB drive with a Wii then drop them on the Deck.
I can use a Retron 5 to dump my NES/SNES/GB/GBC/GBA/GG/Genesis/SMS et cetera.
I can dump PS games to my desktop and then load them on my game drive and cart them around with my deck.

But if it's not your jam that's cool too ;D  Leaves one for someone else in the queue.  Happy gaming!

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2022, 02:31:24 am »

This uses all of the physical media.

I can dump my GC games to a USB drive with a Wii then drop them on the Deck.
I can use a Retron 5 to dump my NES/SNES/GB/GBC/GBA/GG/Genesis/SMS et cetera.
I can dump PS games to my desktop and then load them on my game drive and cart them around with my deck.

But if it's not your jam that's cool too ;D  Leaves one for someone else in the queue.  Happy gaming!

I have to agree a bit with both of you.

I am a physical is king kinda guy.

That said, bit and chip rot is becoming a real thing with some of my physical media pushing 40+ years old.

I’ve got backups of it all and most of it emulates on the Steam Deck very very well.

Including forgotten gems that never saw physical form like Wayforwards “Lit” for WiiWare.

I’m even able to play DS games like Metroid Prime Pinball and Bravely Default now. Even though my DS gave up the ghost a while back.

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2022, 09:16:06 am »
I recently saw a thing someone showing that you can even play 3DS games on it where the 3DS's bottom touch screen will display on your Deck and the top screen can display on a connected monitor.

I put in a preorder a month of so back and I've been doing shenanigans to build up Steam credit for as cheap as possible.  I'm at $450 credit with my out of pocket currently at $64.  Will have another ~$150 in a few days at no out of pocket cost.  I'm still sitting at Q4 in the queue, but they keep bumping forward, so either maybe I'll bump into Q3 or at least I'll be early Q4.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2022, 10:26:39 pm »
I recently saw a thing someone showing that you can even play 3DS games on it where the 3DS's bottom touch screen will display on your Deck and the top screen can display on a connected monitor.

I put in a preorder a month of so back and I've been doing shenanigans to build up Steam credit for as cheap as possible.  I'm at $450 credit with my out of pocket currently at $64.  Will have another ~$150 in a few days at no out of pocket cost.  I'm still sitting at Q4 in the queue, but they keep bumping forward, so either maybe I'll bump into Q3 or at least I'll be early Q4.

You can also play 3DS titles on it in split screen mode, no second monitor needed! :-)

jipsy

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2022, 10:34:36 pm »
Honestly I think they're a bit expensive for what you're getting but I've learned they are really good for people with handicaps that can make it harder for them to use a regular computer monitor/mouse and keyboard.
Jipsy