Author Topic: Witcher 3 New Gen Release and General Chat Thread  (Read 413 times)

telekill

Witcher 3 New Gen Release and General Chat Thread
« on: December 17, 2022, 10:43:28 am »

Witcher 3's new gen version released this last week. I would imagine many on here already have a version of the game as came out in what... 2015? That said, the 3rd was my first ever into the series as I play primarily on Playstation and I thought it was one of the best releases of last gen. When it was announced they were giving it a graphical face-lift I was excited.

For those new to Witcher 3, it's on every platform, including Switch. It only made sense to eventually come to the new gen. The upgrade is free to those who already own the game. Save file transfers were a bit convoluted for PS4 to PS5 but not difficult.

They have decent compression for the PS5's SSD. Base game is about 40GB. With both expansions, it came to about 50GB. I think it was a bit more than 70GB for the PS4 version with both expansions so spaced saved I guess.

I spent a bit of time making new box art for it as the PS4 disc is still required to play the PS5 version... which I'm fine with. I linked the pics below.

Are you planning to upgrade to the new version or replay in general? What are your thoughts on the game?

dhaabi

Re: Witcher 3 New Gen Release and General Chat Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 02:58:44 pm »
I've only just this year played through The Witcher 3, so I have no plans in revisiting it anytime soon. The quality-of-life updates for the next-gen version seem fine, though, but I'm more curious if some of the broken quests have been amended finally which I couldn't quickly find answers to. I did not watch the Netflix TV series adaptation, so those added details aren't something I'm interested in either.

I spent a bit of time making new box art for it as the PS4 disc is still required to play the PS5 version.

Any particular reason why you decided to create the design using the PS4 back cover art layout as opposed to the PS5's?

telekill

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 07:13:04 pm »
I've only just this year played through The Witcher 3, so I have no plans in revisiting it anytime soon. The quality-of-life updates for the next-gen version seem fine, though, but I'm more curious if some of the broken quests have been amended finally which I couldn't quickly find answers to. I did not watch the Netflix TV series adaptation, so those added details aren't something I'm interested in either.

I spent a bit of time making new box art for it as the PS4 disc is still required to play the PS5 version.

Any particular reason why you decided to create the design using the PS4 back cover art layout as opposed to the PS5's?

Only reason I have is that I'm used to it. Lol. I did change up the icons to reflect that of PS5 though.

BinaryMessiah

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 08:40:50 am »
I still haven't finished this game so it was nice to get this update. I've had it installed on my PC since launch and just keep poking at it and getting distracted. I also have it on my Steam Deck. Sadly, the next-gen update on PC is awful. Ray tracing is broken. DLSS and FSR don't work at all (just 2-3 fps gain), and framerate fluctuates around 15-30 fps when you swing the camera around. Thankfully they kept the DX11 mode in without ray-tracing. DX12 is still broken even with ray-tracing disabled. I have an RTX 3080ti and it can't maintain 60fps with ray-tracing disabled and DLSS on Performance. That's incredibly sad and clearly broken. Hopefully, they can patch it up soon.