Author Topic: Recent Additions to Database  (Read 72313 times)

Re: Recent Additions to Database
« Reply #525 on: October 09, 2022, 02:25:19 pm »
Can some add Van Helsing for GBA Europe?

dhaabi

« Reply #526 on: October 09, 2022, 03:03:02 pm »
Can some add Van Helsing for GBA Europe?

All users are able to submit new database entries themselves.

« Reply #527 on: October 10, 2022, 02:46:26 pm »
Long time since i did that, can't quite remember the protocol.

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #528 on: October 19, 2022, 12:01:45 pm »
Done!
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

dhaabi

« Reply #529 on: October 19, 2022, 12:23:15 pm »
Done!

I've updated the entry since all discerning details were omitted in addition to the submitted art being outdated stock art.

The reason I personally didn't go out of my way in submitting the entry is because only users themselves know what items they own. Does halfaworldaway own this specific item? The IT version? A variant we're unaware of?

Here is the entry koemo1 submitted.

empovyle

« Reply #530 on: October 31, 2022, 01:39:45 pm »
After about 10 days of work and over 1,400 edits later, the Skylanders category has been completely redone. All of the chase variants have been added to the database, including the extremely rare ones such as Happy Birthday Ben Starcast, clear Whirlwind, and red Camo. All employee/event variants are accounted for, as well as all of the traps, vehicles, creation crystals, and the UFO hat preorder cards. Most of the portals have also been added with their respective model numbers and platform compatibility. The only items not added were unreleased prototype figures like Heartbreaker Buckshot. There's still some work to be done as far as the item numbers and barcodes go for the figures, but so far I'm quite happy with the current progress. Unfortunately some entries had to be converted to EU-specific (no way around it), so if anyone has any Skylanders in their collection, make sure to check and see if you need to change them.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 10:26:54 am by empovyle »

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #531 on: November 01, 2022, 04:01:45 pm »
After about 10 days of work and over 1,400 edits later, the Skylanders category has been completely redone. All of the chase variants have been added to the database, including the extremely rare ones such as Happy Birthday Ben Starcast, clear Whirlwind, and red Camo. All employee/event variants are accounted for, as well as all of the traps, vehicles, creation crystals, and the UFO hat preorder cards. Most of the portals have also been added with their respective model numbers and platform compatibility. The only items not added were unreleased prototype figures like Heartbreaker Buckshot. There's still some work to be done as far as the item numbers and barcodes go for the figures, but so far I'm quite happy with the current progress. Unfortunately some entries had to be converted to EU-specific (no way around it), so if anyone has any Skylanders in their collection, make sure to check and see if you need to change them.

I saw your progress over the last few days! Thanks man :))
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

empovyle

« Reply #532 on: June 15, 2023, 09:27:30 pm »
Working on the mobile categories currently, specifically Android but some iOS occasionally. I know a lot of the users here don't have much interest in mobile gaming but it's still quite fun and rewarding to add everything anyways. I've got about 19-20 pages worth of listings submitted so far and I'm really starting to run out of ideas...  :-\ Trying to avoid making listings for the ocean of complete garbage and bootleg games that we all know plague all of the app stores, only adding the most popular of the junk like My Talking Tom. Anyone have any suggestions for games/series to work on or look at? 

Once I hit a certain point with the Android category, I'll switch over to iOS and basically "copy" mostly everything over, if anyone has any suggestions for iOS too.

tripredacus

« Reply #533 on: June 16, 2023, 09:48:14 am »
I tend to do my site additions based off a resource site. I don't think I have one on my to-do list that is specifically about mobile games, but there are some resources. GameFAQs and Mobygames have sections for Android and IOS.

empovyle

« Reply #534 on: June 24, 2023, 02:34:25 pm »
The iOS category is now progressing slowly. 

I realized the most important thing in submitting bulk entries like these to a nearly empty category is that sheer quantity is more important than filling out every single detail. If someone new comes to the site and sees these tiny mobile categories they will probably be turned off. As a result, I have chosen to stop researching the developer and release date info and instead will leave them blank for now. Reasons for this being that the app store pages always avoid listing the developers like the plague and the release dates are always inconsistent: firstly, the Apple App Store doesn't list release dates anywhere, instead it's nestled away in the source code for each game (Ctrl+F and search for "datePublished"). Secondly, I've noticed this date can be the date of the prerelease. If a game is put up for preorder or a soft launch, many times the release date on the store pages will reflect that date instead of the actual launch. Or, if a game was republished for any reason, the date will reflect the second launch. It has become so time-consuming trying to verify these dates and developers across like 5-10 different websites and news articles on my extremely poor rural internet so I have chosen to just forgo adding them entirely. 

When I can get access to better internet, I'll definitely go back and research the correct dates and developers for this category. If anyone knows of a good source to find this info, I'd love to hear it (not MobyGames, not GameFAQs, not Wikipedia) 

Also, I've definitely noticed that my earlier entries from May/early June had a lot of mistakes, so I apologize for that greatly. 

I tend to do my site additions based off a resource site. I don't think I have one on my to-do list that is specifically about mobile games, but there are some resources. GameFAQs and Mobygames have sections for Android and IOS.

Thanks for this tip, I've been browsing the MobyGames list for inspiration and found a lot of cool titles I had no idea existed, like the mobile Elder Scrolls and Oddworld games.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 02:37:19 pm by empovyle »

tripredacus

« Reply #535 on: June 26, 2023, 09:54:51 am »
Oh, the "I don't want to hog all the edits" method, which is the one I use personally. At least for things I don't own.

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #536 on: July 05, 2023, 03:55:44 am »
The iOS category is now progressing slowly. 

I realized the most important thing in submitting bulk entries like these to a nearly empty category is that sheer quantity is more important than filling out every single detail. If someone new comes to the site and sees these tiny mobile categories they will probably be turned off. As a result, I have chosen to stop researching the developer and release date info and instead will leave them blank for now. Reasons for this being that the app store pages always avoid listing the developers like the plague and the release dates are always inconsistent: firstly, the Apple App Store doesn't list release dates anywhere, instead it's nestled away in the source code for each game (Ctrl+F and search for "datePublished"). Secondly, I've noticed this date can be the date of the prerelease. If a game is put up for preorder or a soft launch, many times the release date on the store pages will reflect that date instead of the actual launch. Or, if a game was republished for any reason, the date will reflect the second launch. It has become so time-consuming trying to verify these dates and developers across like 5-10 different websites and news articles on my extremely poor rural internet so I have chosen to just forgo adding them entirely. 

When I can get access to better internet, I'll definitely go back and research the correct dates and developers for this category. If anyone knows of a good source to find this info, I'd love to hear it (not MobyGames, not GameFAQs, not Wikipedia) 

Also, I've definitely noticed that my earlier entries from May/early June had a lot of mistakes, so I apologize for that greatly. 

Thanks for this tip, I've been browsing the MobyGames list for inspiration and found a lot of cool titles I had no idea existed, like the mobile Elder Scrolls and Oddworld games.
I know exactly this feeling. I did over a 100 pages on the Nintendo Switch Eshop [EU]
It is really satisfying :)
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

empovyle

« Reply #537 on: July 06, 2023, 12:03:46 pm »
I know exactly this feeling. I did over a 100 pages on the Nintendo Switch Eshop [EU]
It is really satisfying :)
That is an absurd amount of pages. Over 2500 items wow, thank you for doing all that work! I can definitely say I recall seeing many of your entries around here too

tripredacus

« Reply #538 on: July 07, 2023, 09:58:27 am »
Well think of it this way. There is currently over 2000 games in C64 cassettes EU category. It is hard to judge exactly how many there are on the site without going through all the C64 sections, but C64 cassette EU is the largest of the bunch. It is also hard to know exactly how many games were released but you can find numbers like 10,000 if you search online. A data collector I talked to recently said that there are at least 20,000 roms for C64. Understanding how rom collections work, these aren't going to include the duplicates for re-releases and it is unknown if it includes releases that were on multiple formats or have code revisions. But we also need to be aware that there could be a large portion of those that are only in compilations or covertapes from magazines, or released after the life of the computer.

And then I've also heard that there are likely even more ZX Spectrum releases than C64. And again, it is unknown if these numbers include re-releases or not. Or for example the Spanish Spectrum library which is similarly immense.

And then there is PC sections of which we are missing a ton despite us already having a ton.

dhaabi

« Reply #539 on: July 29, 2023, 05:27:36 pm »
It's interesting to see when some of the most popular entries in terms of collection count are completely wrong. For the original NA Uncharted 2: Among Thieves entry, the front art was unused stock art, back art was watermarked, and the media art was a EU disc. It just goes to show how much of the database there is to still improve.

There are at least two three cover variants for the standard release, two of which were missing. Since the original item is so popular, I figured I'd mention it here for greater visibility now that there are three entries.
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (5 out of 5 stars)
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (25 Perfect Review Scores)
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (32 Game of the Year Awards)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 08:27:31 pm by dhaabi »