Author Topic: The gamer you were when you joined VGcollect vs. the gamer you are now in 2023  (Read 2561 times)

Joined in 2017 I do play games but right now I am busy on my radio server usually since 2021
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

Joined in 2014.

Mainly cause of the database being nice but also because of playstation age kinda dying especially the latter made me talk in this forum instead of just using the database. Was a pretty fun small european collecting scene that wasn't just about playstation.

In terms of a gamer I've become more openminded to give more kinds of games a shot compared to what I'd want to play in the past.

At the start when I collected I didn't really have a barrier in what I wanted to collect. But I've definitely made my barriers over the years. Nothing prior to nes/gameboy classic. and pretty much very casually past wii/3ds. I don't really care past those boundries mainly just for the gameplay if I want to play it for modern stuff.

In terms of collecting, collecting definitely ain't what it used to be. investing less time into it these days but good stuff at good prices still pop up from time to time.

I think I lost some of my collecting spirit when I scored a cib alien soldier which was one of my main goals to complete the collection. That is when I pretty much had everything that I really wanted. Felt pretty satisfying when I finally scored that one but also a bit empty at the same time. Collecting has never been the same since covid. What a world of difference it has been in a bad way.

There are quite some other differences for me as a collector now compared to me in the past. Past me would only add stuff for free or for really cheap rarely past 10$. Nowadays if it's a really good price I'll have a decent chunk at a loss with a smile if it's something I want. also in some cases in which I might just buy for good money If I really really want it, still rarely though.

I do wish I was less of a cheap skate sooner cause I missed out on some really cool games for already great deals at the time that way, which now are way more pricy. that being said I only really regret missing out on deals that I pretty much had in my hands busy talking with the owner etc/ had a shot at actually buying before anyone else. being the 2nd guy is kinda pointless imo you didn't miss it you just weren't fast enough in that scenario and thus would never have gotten that deal. also if I didn't even consider it at the time I also don't regret missing out on it even if it was an amazing deal at the time. there was no shot at me buying it than. I would need to be something that I actually considered/almost wanted to buy at the time.

Another thing that changed is that I'm willing to forgive a game not having 100% of the paper work since you can always complete it later as long as you got the box in excellent shape. Finally if it's something quite rare and good and it was super cheap I'm willing to accept german or usa cib versions in excellent shape. Which I wish I did sooner.

Had stuff like a usa megaman IV gameboy or usa metal slug 2nd mission in cib shape multiple times for quite cheap. only sold them for the sake of them not being the version that I seeked but the deals where already paid for by other stuff of said sets. I wish I would have kept those as some examples.

It has been quite a ride overall. In general quite the same as I was in the past Albeit in a less active and picky degree.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 06:48:38 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

pzeke

[...]

I do wish I was less of a cheap skate sooner cause I missed out on some really cool games for already great deals at the time that way, which now are way more pricy. [...]

Bah! Don't feel shame for being a cheapskate, it goes hand in hand with being patient, and it's the best high once you find what you're looking for at the right price.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

dashv

PRO Supporter

I sort of drifted here from Neo-Geo.com in 2012... the site had a reputation for drama, and it's definitely warranted. I met some cool people there though.

I've found the more niche the gaming community, the more eccentric, or possible autistic, they can be. There's loads of a weird, petty and incessant drama that follows the Atari Jaguar scene. I imagine with the barrier to entry for Neo Geo it's probably even more pronounced.

I joined Pinside about a year ago when I decided I was going to try and buy a pinball machine and I've observed this as well. There are a ton of "I know what I have" boomers on there that have basements full of pinball machines and like to flaunt their collections like it's an extension of their penises. But the worst are people that freak out over thinking certain machines are good, or even by referring to a pinball machine as a "table" even though that's a pretty standard term. I mostly enjoy that site, but it's far more hostile and ridiculous than it has ever been here.

I didn’t know you were on Pinside! I’ll keep an eye out for ya. I am on there from time to time in different owner threads.

I joined VGCollect in 2014.

I’ve always been a gamer. I’ve always tended to hang on to my stuff. This site helped me immensely as once I started collecting, I had a hard time keeping track of what I already had.

I ended up making several friends on here. We even ended up streaming together, talking to industry legends together. Sharing Christmas’s together.

Thanks to this site and some of the folks in these forums, I  amassed a collection containing everything childhood me ever wanted.

I’m too young to be a boomer but I did become one of those GenX-ers that builds an arcade in his basement, lol.

My collecting itself has slowed down a lot as I have most of what I want and I’ve come to realize I already have more games than I will probably be able to play in my lifetime.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 03:14:27 pm by dashv »