Author Topic: About releases with the Mexican rating system  (Read 790 times)

About releases with the Mexican rating system
« on: April 13, 2023, 06:27:48 pm »
Hi, this is my first post here on the forums. This is a question I've had for a while now, what happens when an old release is relaunched under the Mexican rating system?

Like this one: https://www.gametdb.com/Switch/AEANA

And also, there are certain companies that use these ratings in advertising or social networks, but when it comes to releasing physical games, they don't use them, they use the ESRB system instead. (Example: Capcom, Square Enix, Take-Two, SEGA/Atlus)

Finally, I have also contributed some older releases (like SNES, N64, PS1), but I think there are still more that I have not been able to find on my own.

dhaabi

Re: About releases with the Mexican rating system
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 09:43:13 pm »
There are many items which have received different ratings through subsequent prints. For example, this was typical when PEGI was formed in Europe, but there are several other scenarios as well where it's occurred.

Sometimes, the rating can be used as the entry name descriptor. So, in this case, the entries would be formatted something like this if using that formatting choice:
Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 (ESRB rating)
Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 (SMECCV rating)

But, since these items would be surrounded by other non-Mexican ESRB releases in the same category and because there is other varying information between the two such as item numbers, I would personally suggest using this method for the descriptor. So, if using this formatting choice, something like this could be used:
Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 (3000074524)
Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 (3000087139)

Either way, it is important to clarify in the Description field where these items were released, since TLD information would not be present in the entry name.

We are not concerned with how a game was rated prior to release. Many games have rating information updated before releasing, but we are only interested in the ratings that individual physical items feature once published.

You've been an incredible help to the database in submitting MX entries. Your work hasn't gone unnoticed, and it's certainly appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 09:45:33 pm by dhaabi »

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2023, 08:12:53 am »
Why isn't this a situation where we would leverage the TLD [MX]?  Is this specifically because it isn't ESRB?  Like you would only do [MX] if it were ESRB?

dhaabi

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 09:07:02 am »
Why isn't this a situation where we would leverage the TLD [MX]?  Is this specifically because it isn't ESRB?  Like you would only do [MX] if it were ESRB?

Not at all. The reason a TLD wouldn't be a part of the entry name is because TLDs are reserved for situations when more than one entry in the same category have the same name.

Here are two German variants as an example:
Bratz: Rock Angelz (small USK rating)
Bratz: Rock Angels (large USK rating)

No other entry in the category shares the full name (name + descriptor), so a TLD is not necessary. Its variant counterparts all utilize TLDs, though, unless it is discovered later on that there are variants for these items as well.

But, there are instances when both a descriptor and TLD are used. Here are examples:
Resident Evil 2 (2019)
Resident Evil 2 (2022)
Resident Evil 2 (2019) [ES]
Resident Evil 2 (2022) [ES]
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 09:19:06 am by dhaabi »

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2023, 09:43:15 am »
Not at all. The reason a TLD wouldn't be a part of the entry name is because TLDs are reserved for situations when more than one entry in the same category have the same name.

Same name and descriptor.

Because there is no descriptor for TLD, variants within a country (like with the Germany example) ends up losing their TLD.