Author Topic: If you could be the speedrun WR holder for any game what would it be?  (Read 517 times)

The world of speedruns. A world of competivism personified. Radical. If you could be the speedrun record holder for any game. What would it be? On top of the world. The king. Studying every strat. Knowing a game inside and out better than it's own devs. What game would you most want to be known as the master of?

I personally think I pick super mario 64. Not only is it such a hugely recognizable game but it has extremely complex strats and I grew up with it since I was a kid. I'd like to be known as the king of Mario 64. But one has to devote years into even being top 25. These guys are talented.

What game would you most want to speed strat and be #1 at?

wartoy

PRO Supporter

I just play to have fun and beat the game not into speedruns.

tripredacus

Some weird game that no one has heard of.

I never understood the appeal of speedrunning a game or why some people go to obsessive lengths to figure out how to beat a game faster than its ever been beat before. I'm all for people enjoying games however they want, but it seems like the antithesis of enjoying a game if all you're doing is trying to get it over with as fast as possible. Not to mention, many of these speedruns just exploit glitches in the game's programming and design to bypass the majority of the game, making it possible to beat a game that would normally take 15-hours to beat, in an hour or whatever. It all comes across as a bit neurotic and also just a weird way to flex online.

sworddude

While certain games are better for speedrunning than others, overall Speedrunning ain't for me.

It ruins the game for my taste, especially cause in plenty of speedruns you are going to skip fun parts and or abuse certain bugs to blaze through the game. I don't see the fun in that personally. That being said props to the folks that enjoy and invest the time into it.

Your Stylish Sword Master!

Some weird game that no one has heard of.

I had the WR in a couple categories for Uncharted Waters: New Horizons, but they've since been broken.

telekill

I was never big into speedrunning but gave it a shot on the OG Resident Evil on PS1 back in the late 90's. I ended up just shy of 90 min which I thought was pretty damn good.

I looked it up this morning and as of a couple years ago, the record holder sits at 38.04 minutes with a slew of others in the 38-39 min range behind him. That's intense and I feel there must be some cheats involved somehow.

Kudos to the record holder. Let's assume it's a legit run with no cheats or glitches taken advantage of. Still impressive. Now what? Is there anything other than bragging rights that only the person in the top spot and those on their coat tails care about?

dhaabi

Speedrunning is the modern day high score list. I imagine a number of members here often frequented arcades during their prime, besting for that coveted top spot or even settling somewhere further down the column in the top 10. So, that there is a fair bit of animosity toward speedrunning is unexpected. While I'm not a part of the speedrunning community nor know of its particulars, I do know that there are all sorts of speedrun types, such as any % completion and 100% completion. While I'm sure there are plenty of records which were obtained by utilizing certain glitches or exploits to the player's advantage, I'm also sure there are many arcade-style games with a high score list which have its record holders using those same types of tactics. Both traditional high score holders and more modern speedrunning record holders, in many cases, use their expertise of a game to reach the same end goal.

That said, speedrunning in some form has long existed. Any sort of racing game is most obvious. At the same time, plenty of older 2D Mario games have a countdown which encourages swift, yet precise, gameplay, which continues to be a feature in modern games. Fighting games such as Street Fighter are another example, such as how quickly one can finish its campaign mode. Then there is the simple practice of seeing how how long one credit or player life can last. In the end, all these instances aim for the same objective: being the best by some metric.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 07:09:28 pm by dhaabi »

sworddude

Speedrunning is the modern day high score list. I imagine a number of members here often frequented arcades during their prime, besting for that coveted top spot or even settling somewhere further down the column in the top 10. So, that there is a fair bit of animosity toward speedrunning is unexpected.

Usually with high scores you still play the games as intended, you don't often skip notable parts of the games or abuse glitches that make stuff piss easy. I don't really see the fun in beating pokemon red in 1min through some menu inputs. Ain't not much game left to play  ::)

I think 100% speedruns are less bad. cause in those allot of glitches usually ain't available and you actually play most of the game as intended compared to any%. and some games do have glitchless leaderboards aswell.

Not all games in speedrun form are bad, mainly the ones in which there aren't insane skips or are pretty low in the glitch department. also in the most extreme department of speedruns. Clue can be beaten in less than 1 second.

Still though There is a huge difference between people that speedrun and people that just want to enjoy the game as intended. I don't think it's that unexpected for there to be folks that dislike speedrunning. it's quite a different way to play games.

Finally at the very end of the day while categories exist within speedrunning, any % is by far the most popular and where competitors get the most prestige and thus how most people will view speedrunning overall.

I was never big into speedrunning but gave it a shot on the OG Resident Evil on PS1 back in the late 90's. I ended up just shy of 90 min which I thought was pretty damn good.

I looked it up this morning and as of a couple years ago, the record holder sits at 38.04 minutes with a slew of others in the 38-39 min range behind him. That's intense and I feel there must be some cheats involved somehow.

Kudos to the record holder. Let's assume it's a legit run with no cheats or glitches taken advantage of. Still impressive. Now what? Is there anything other than bragging rights that only the person in the top spot and those on their coat tails care about?

Unless you entered the glitchless leaderboard. high odds that they used some glitch to skip some parts. I do recall multiple resident evil games having sizable skips.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 08:41:21 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

telekill

Unless you entered the glitchless leaderboard. high odds that they used some glitch to skip some parts. I do recall multiple resident evil games having sizable skips.

That would make sense. Was trying to figure out how I could possibly shave an hour off my time and considering I was hauling through the game with letting the two possible characters you can save, die and bypassing the second battle with the Tyrant, there's just no way to make that big of a difference.

turf

PRO Supporter

Years ago, I was making an attempt to get good at a no glitch run of Super Mario Bros.  I got pretty fast. Still off the world by 30 seconds, but I was fast. I could finish it in less than 6 minutes, closer to 5 1/2.
I was pretty good. Those guys going for the top spot play perfect.

Portal.

First time playthrough was 4-5 hours for me. Second time maybe 2 hours (since I already knew the solutions to the puzzles). This led me to trying to speedrun the game back in the day. I got my best time down to around 37-38 minutes. I was super proud of myself.

Then I looked at speedruns on YouTube and the fastest one was around 9 minutes (this was shortly after the game came out). This completely crushed my soul and I never tried to speedrun anything again.

EDIT: my run was glitchless, the 9-minute one used glitches, but still...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 05:45:38 pm by drunkenm666 »

Bayonetta 2.