Author Topic: The Game Awards 2023  (Read 1084 times)

The Game Awards 2023
« on: December 07, 2023, 02:05:55 am »
Been abit since we had a game event with possible new announcements.  The awards themselves don't really matter in the long run, but I'm interested to see what takes GOTY just out of curiosity sake.  TOTK didn't have the same impact as BOTW, but it was still a very popular and successful game.  I've seen people say that Baldur's Gate 3 is an easy win, which I don't agree with, I don't think it's an instant guarantee next to Zelda, even though it sounds like the game absolutely deserves it.  My personal choice is Zelda, though I've only played half of the nominees (Spiderman 2, Resident Evil 4, TOTK).

As for game announcement stuff, anyone hoping for anything in particular? I'm always holding out for something Bloodborne, every event, doesn't even need to be Sony, could be an Xbox event, I'll hope for Bloodborne lol More realistically, I am kinda hoping for Monster Hunter World 2 (Or whatever the equivalent would be) to be announced.  Rise is done, Capcom supposedly has another big game meant to release for early next year (I don't think Dragon's Dogma 2 in March was supposed to be that, so I'm hoping it's this.  They could also announce another remake which would be cool (Just don't be Resident Evil 5), which I would be on board with.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head other than something random like Banjo-Kazooie getting something due to some random talk being brought up lately, though Elden Ring getting its DLC showed off would be great.  Could certainly use an excuse to jump back into that after being away for a good while now.

One pie in the sky reveal could be Switch 2, it feels like we are coming up onto the timeframe for it to come out by March next year maybe, so this would be a decent event for it if they didn't want to just do it themselves, which they may.  I would be shocked if the Switch 2 doesn't release next year.

telekill

Re: The Game Awards 2023
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 08:37:19 am »
I'll always hope for a Dino Crisis Remake amd a completion to Shenmue. Everything I'm really wanting though, other than FF7 Rebirth, is years off. Anything new they announce today, unless it's already been in development for years, will be a PS6 and XNext game, not even touching the newer current gen. It's why we see so many remasters and remakes. It's the only thing the industry can churn out in a timely fashion.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 08:52:08 pm »
Sega just went nuts at this show, announcing like a half dozen new games from classic series of theirs that are in production.  Brand new Shinobi, Jet Set Radio, Golden Axe, Crazy Taxi, and more.  Just full on going for it.  No dates, but showing off actual gameplay for a number of games.  I love seeing a studio just be like "WE HAVE FRANCHISES PEOPLE LOVE THAT WE DON'T DO ENOUGH WITH, LET'S DO SOMETHING WITH THEM".

Dragon Ball Sparking Zero showing off some pretty nice visuals, this is the new Budokai Tenkaichi, as it's called Sparking in Japan.

God of War Ragnarok is getting free DLC next week.

Exodus seems like a cool scifi third person shooter game.

Rise of the Ronin, a new Team Ninja action game, seems very familiar to their usual action gameplay stuff, but with maybe a character switching mechanic, it almost seemed like co-op at first, but I didn't catch anything for that specifically.

No Rest For The Wicked, visually striking new action RPG from the devs of Ori.

OD, a new...game? I think? lol It's a new Hideo Kojima horror project for Xbox, collaborating with Jordan Peele on it, I didn't really listen to whatever was said on stage for it, because it's just a lot of fluff and the only thing that matters is when they show off gameplay lol

Jurassic Park Survival, some new singleplayer first person game from Saber Interactive.  It's set during the original movie, where a scientist didn't make the escape, and is now trapped on the island.

Blade, new Marvel game coming form the Dishonored/Deathloop studio.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 09:50:36 pm by kamikazekeeg »

telekill

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2023, 10:15:08 pm »
JP had my attention. I was a bit disappointed that it's an FPS vs a 3rd person action adventure but I decided to check out that trailer and let it convince me. I was disheartened to see the main character is the hackneyed modern era POC female. That in itself isn't bad, just boring as it's nothing more than virtue signaling getting lost in a torrent of virtue signaling. What really killed it for me was watching this woman do nearly shot for shot scenes from the first movie (improbable), scream and run from a Dilophosaurus, completely gassing herself by the end, only to stand up defiantly against the might of the TRex like she's Riddick with a flare she pulled from her ass.

I'll hope that when more gameplay is shown, it can turn around the weak first impression.

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2023, 10:57:56 pm »
Monster Hunter Wilds! Yes! The game I wanted! I'm pissed it's out 2025 though lol Screw GTA6, this is my big hype for that year lol

There were some nice things announced at the show, but I was kinda not having that one thing to really grab me, until Monster Hunter Wilds, as short as that was, but it's what I wanted to see, I wanted that scope, those visuals, and hopefully the game experience to keep me engaged.  Monster Hunter Rise didn't do it for me, like the gameplay is good, but because it's a Switch game and how they handled some of its stuff, it wasn't nearly as good as World was for me.  Hate that we have to wait till Geoff's Summer show for more, and it's 2025, but that's a big game for me.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 11:11:17 pm by kamikazekeeg »

telekill

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2023, 11:18:03 pm »
Best showing for me was the Sega revival. Hoping Shenmue 4 and a new Ecco join the lineup.

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2023, 11:19:20 pm »
I'll add my full thoughts later my favorite was already seeing the Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio games they previously announced. Overall a great show and lots of announcements I didn't expect.

Usual June looked alright.

Thrasher, new game from Thumper dev, not as interesting as Thumper.

God of War DLC not leaking is kinda wild.

Exodus with Matthew McConaughey gameplay looked okay but story seems boring.

Kemuri art style looks nice. Hope the game turns out well.

SEGA easily stole the show with whatever their announcement turns out to be. Five separate games or a new SEGA metaverse I don't know. I previously read that Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio would be free to play games but we'll see what happens.

Visions of Mana looks like a nice attempt at bringing the Mana series closer to Dragon Quest/Kingdom Hearts/Final Fantasy tier for Square.

Jurassic Park Survival looked super impressive.

Black Myth: Wukong continues to impress.

Lost Records seems decent.

I'll be playing Rocket Racing tomorrow.

Xbox getting their own Marvel exclusive with Blade.

Last Sentinel from former GTA dev didn't really interest me without gameplay shown but I would like to see gameplay of it in the future.

Warhammer Space Marine 2 still looks fun.

Light No Fire from No Man's Sky dev seems empty but nice looking.

Suicide Squad Kill the Justice League had a new trailer in there somewhere. I don't get the hate for it. Looks really fun.

Exoborne looked fun.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 12:43:37 am by weirdfeline »

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 03:43:24 am »
It was a good show but boy am I pissed! Final Fantasy XVI was meant to be a complete experience at launch and now we have DLC set within the games story... I've already beat the damn game! These parts midway through the story should haev been there in the first place. It;s the same crap the previous game pulled and I'm sick of it.

At least Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is looking amazing! It's changing the story & getting very meta' but still it's proving to be a real Triple-A experience! Despite bringing the game to a modern era there still keeping a lot of the silliness & charm in the original which I really appreciate - I can't wait to see Gold Saucer brought to life!

Interested in the SEGA revival titles, they look a little low budget but hoping I can be proven wrong.

Very interested in Lost Records: Bloom & Rage, seems very similar to IT in structure.

Visions of Mana is finally stepping beyond Remake territory and bring a NEW game. Looks decent, hoping it doesn't have a silent protagonist.

Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden is a title I am interested in, would like to see some raw gameplay footage but releasing the game in-between Yakuza 8 & Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is a problem...

dhaabi

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2023, 04:28:42 pm »
Big Walk
I love cartoon graphics placed over life-like imagery, so this caught my attention even without the House House mention. I'm pretty sure this is a single-player game. I'm hoping, anyway.

The Casting of Frank Stone
I've never been interested in Dead by Daylight before and wasn't aware it even had a narrative. Supermassive Games are taking elements from that franchise and combining it with their well-known adventure genre gameplay, which I'm all for.

Final Fantasy XVI DLC
I'm glad I waited to get the base game, although the DLC doesn't seem that interesting anyway. Maybe it would with added context.

The First Descendent
I'd be interested in seeing more of this, just out of curiosity.

God of War Ragnarök
Unexpected DLC releasing later this week for free? Nice, for fans.

Kemuri
Its pleasing art style set in a fun environment seems okay. I can't tell what the actual gameplay is intended to be from the trailer alone, although the safest bet is to assume parkour, I guess.

Lost Records: Bloom and Rage
Life Is Strange with elements of Stephen King's It. I'm hoping it isn't episodic like their past titles. Realistically, this is the game I'm most excited for that I know I'll get around to playing.

Metaphor: ReFantazio
It's already been shown sometime earlier this year, but it's still looking nice. My experience with Atlus's other properties is quite low, but I'd like to play more. Something new is always welcomed.

Power Surge: Sega
I can't say that I'm a fan of Sega necessarily, but this obviously is something you can't avoid recognizing as something deserving praise. I hope all the projects succeed and captivate their audience. I also love how Sega is going back to—or at least leaning into with this specific trailer—their 90s advertising campaign style.

Throughout my time watching most trailers and skimming over news, I've never learned which game even won game of the year until actually searching for the answer. I guess game announcements are what people care about most.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 04:30:15 pm by dhaabi »

alligo

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2023, 10:44:54 am »
I was very happy with the announcement by Sega, now to see what it will be worth...
They should also have done Ristar.

I'm interested in Rebirth (although I will have to wait for the PC release  :'() and Visions of Mana.
Very surprised by the new Mana.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 11:11:29 am by alligo »
https://vgcollect.com/alligo

I don't need a guitar, I'm a Rockstar

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2023, 01:25:56 pm »
Best showing for me was the Sega revival. Hoping Shenmue 4 and a new Ecco join the lineup.

This was the highlight of TGA 2023 for me and the only time where I got very excited. I am thrilled at the prospect of a new Crazy Taxi, Shinobi, JSR, Streets of Rage, and Golden Axe game. I'm really hoping we get Virtua Fighter 6 at some point, and while Shenmue 4 would be at the top of my list of games I'd want Sega to make, I just don't see that happening after what happened with Shenmue 3. Unfortunately, Shenmue fans are back in the same spot they were prior to Shenmue 3 where the future of our favorite franchise is stuck in limbo once more.

Other than the Sega trailer, I also am more excited about FF7: Rebirth than i was before. I thought the JP game looked decent, however it seems like they were trying way too hard to insert Member Berries from the original movie (aka, pretty much remaking the first movie with a new character). It might end up being cool in the end, but it's a game I have a wait and see mentality about. Other than that, I sort of regretted watching all 3 hours of TGA given how unappealing most of the announcements were.

pzeke

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2023, 01:44:48 pm »
The announcements were, for the most part, quite alright. I'm not going to make a list of the games that caught my eye, but it'd be insincere of me to say I wasn't surprised by some of the teasers presented: Sega, for instance, was a nice reveal, and The First Berserker looked snazzy as all hell. And of course, there was Final Fantasy VII Rebirth.

[...]I would be shocked if the Switch 2 doesn't release next year.

I think it's appropriate to say we'll all be shocked somehow next year.

I'll always hope for a Dino Crisis Remake [...]
JP had my attention. [...]

Such Fezandipiti; were WW3 to bolt out of the blue, you can at least take solace in the fact you got your "dino crisis".

Also, as I've stated elsewhere around these parts, gaming isn't only "AAA" games, just take a look at this beauty.

It was a good show but boy am I pissed! Final Fantasy XVI was meant to be a complete experience at launch and now we have DLC set within the games story... I've already beat the damn game! These parts midway through the story should haev been there in the first place. It;s the same crap the previous game pulled and I'm sick of it.

Back in September, Naoki Yoshida said that the game would be getting two paid expansions—I mean, it's Square Enix. Regardless, DLC or not, it can still be a "complete experience" if you enjoy your time playing the game. Final Fantasy VII Remake was a blast and a half for me personally, and I consider it a full experience solely based on that fact.

Throughout my time watching most trailers and skimming over news, I've never learned which game even won game of the year until actually searching for the answer. I guess game announcements are what people care about most.

As a whole, awards are inbecilic, which is why the only ones that matter are the Darwins.

As Jerry once said: "...it's just that awards are stupid. Every real estate office has some framed five-diamond President's Award thing by the desk; every hotel check-in has some gold-circled service thing; every car salesman's a Platinum Jubilee winner—it's all a big jerk off. The hotel sucks, the real estate person is stupid, and the only thing the car salesman is good at is ripping you off. And why? Because awards don't mean a goddamned thing. They're stupid; they're all stupid: all the award shows on TV."

The Game Awards have always been a charade, and I think it showed this year more than any other, treating the people it's supposed to honor basically like trash while making the entire event an ad campaign; it was a spectacle for all the wrong reasons. Truly, there are far more credible venues to showcase new and upcoming games. This "ceremony" is simply a pretext for Geoff Keighley to suck up to Kojima: two Hollywood rejects, one an unabashed panderer and the other a freaking groupie. I mean, don't get me wrong, I happen to like Kojima, but the guy can be quite the diva and often overly romanticizes what he does; that OD "teaser" had to be the cheesiest thing in there by far.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 01:46:41 pm by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

pzeke

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2024, 04:22:22 am »
I'll always hope for a Dino Crisis Remake [...]
JP had my attention. [...]

Such Fezandipiti; were WW3 to bolt out of the blue, you can at least take solace in the fact you got your "dino crisis".

Also, as I've stated elsewhere around these parts, gaming isn't only "AAA" games, just take a look at this beauty.

Yo, telekill! This ought to hold you over until CAPCOM finally caves in and remakes Dino Crisis: Dino Hazard: Chronos Blackout.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!