Author Topic: Nintendo Direct 6.21.2023 thoughts?  (Read 1493 times)

Re: Nintendo Direct 6.21.2023 thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2023, 07:40:56 pm »
Worst direct I have ever watched. Yes, plenty of ports/remasters I am looking forward to, but just about nothing new that is worthwhile. I can only assume Nintendo has transferred all major properties over to the next platform, which I would imagine will be announced before the end of the year
Did you watch the wrong Direct?
Did you?

Yeah, I can understand not liking the titles on display, but to claim that they aren't releasing new titles of popular IPs on the Switch when the direct had both a new Mario and a new Peach game announced and spent a ton of time on Pikmin 4?  Don't get it.
Pikmin 4 wasn't a new announcement. They teased Peach, nothing more. So yes, new 2D Mario. Awesome. What else was *new*?
I don't know what your definition of new is but a lot was new. What should have been there instead? What are they holding back? The only announced game not here is Metroid Prime 4. Zelda and Fire Emblem both had mainline releases this year.

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2023, 07:02:13 am »
Worst direct I have ever watched. Yes, plenty of ports/remasters I am looking forward to, but just about nothing new that is worthwhile. I can only assume Nintendo has transferred all major properties over to the next platform, which I would imagine will be announced before the end of the year
Did you?

Yeah, I can understand not liking the titles on display, but to claim that they aren't releasing new titles of popular IPs on the Switch when the direct had both a new Mario and a new Peach game announced and spent a ton of time on Pikmin 4?  Don't get it.
Pikmin 4 wasn't a new announcement. They teased Peach, nothing more. So yes, new 2D Mario. Awesome. What else was *new*?

You didn't say anything about new announcements, just a blanket statement about how Nintendo has shifted IPs to the new system.  And you can't just gloss over a new 2D Mario game.  It's their oldest and, as the release of the movie shows, most recognizable, franchise.  That's a huge deal.

And Peach is new, regardless of being a tease or not.

But, in their IP wheelhouse, they did also announce a new WarioWare.

And spending time on Pikmin 4 was what they announced when they announced the direct.  Highlighting what they said they were gonna highlight should not count against them.

That's 4 non-remaster/remake games from existing IPs set to launch on the Switch.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 12:06:00 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2023, 11:13:55 pm »
Did you?

You didn't say anything about new announcements, just a blanket statement about how Nintendo has shifted IPs to the new system.
Please direct your attention to the following statement, taken without alteration (except added emphasis) from my original comment that you are disputing (shown above as well):

“Yes, plenty of ports/remasters I am looking forward to, but just about nothing new that is worthwhile.”

Also, my statements weren’t limited to first party IPs. Overall, there was very little new announcements from any developer/publisher tandem to get excited about.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 11:16:12 pm by bunnybear »
—Currently Playing—
Ace Attorney 4-5-6 (NS)
Raiden IV x Mikado (NS)

sworddude

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2023, 08:26:34 am »
Opinions exist nothing wrong with that if the games don't look interesting it is what it is. for my taste though there was plenty of new non ported stuff that looked fun, even for 3rd party I saw something to get excited about.

It's been a hot minute that the west got a new dragon quest monster game which is the best spinoff in said series. on a non handheld console no less.

Pretty beefy direct for my taste quite some good games that get a release on switch even this late after the release of TOTK.

Still considering the decent amount of new first party lineups doesn't seem like the switch will die anytime soon. Also you wouldn't expect a new 2d mario on this console if they shifted ip's to the next console. they should have kept this one away. Not to mention that it seems they put nice effort in, since it looks far more interesting than the drought we got with the stale new soup games.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 10:15:54 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2023, 03:35:04 pm »
Did you?

You didn't say anything about new announcements, just a blanket statement about how Nintendo has shifted IPs to the new system.
Please direct your attention to the following statement, taken without alteration (except added emphasis) from my original comment that you are disputing (shown above as well):

“Yes, plenty of ports/remasters I am looking forward to, but just about nothing new that is worthwhile.”

Also, my statements weren’t limited to first party IPs. Overall, there was very little new announcements from any developer/publisher tandem to get excited about.

You are right.  I conflated the statement about new titles with Nintendo delaying titles to the next system.  My mistake. 

Though I would argue that by stating that "Nintendo has transferred all major properties over to the next platform" it indicates first party IPs, as those are the titles that Nintendo actually has control over, but if that's not what you meant - yeah.  A little it of a third party dry spell.  Although it's not like the major third party titles have been a consideration on Nintendo consoles since the Wii.

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2023, 12:48:22 am »
What major IP's are being held back though? Seems like just 3D Mario. Pretty sure Metroid Prime 4 is still going to release on Switch.