Author Topic: PSX Emulator Says That It Is Only Bad To Play PSX ROM's If Have No PlayStation?  (Read 1301 times)

I have bought and have 6 PlayStation Consoles 2 PS3's and 3 PS2's. But finding MOST PS1, and PS2 games is IMPOSSIBLE in my area and there is NO WAY I can ever get a chance to play most old SONY PlayStation games ever unless I download ISO's. SO today I downloaded A famous PSX Emulator, then first I set it up to work with my Windows 10 PC, Then? a message comes on the screen that reads as follows

As Long As You Have A REAL SONY PlayStation Console in your possession YOU CAN use this special file to run ISO's on this emulator, legally. What is your opinion on this statement? could this be true that we no longer need to physical copy to legally own the ROM's for the PlayStation 1 "AS LONG AS WE OWN A REAL SONY PLAYSTAION CONSOLE" but no longer need to actual game?

Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, because if this is true I think it is VARY fair

and best of all if WE are going to preserve the video game industry
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 08:36:06 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

That's just legal BS so the developers of the emulator don't get sued that's all it is.

That's just legal BS so the developers of the emulator don't get sued that's all it is.

If people have A REAL PLAYSTATION how could that not make it legal, is that not the same thing as having a used game? I actually purchased 3 PS3's and 3 PS2's and my Dad purchased a PS1 New when I was young. SONY did make the money, and even though there were other developers making the games it still they were still using SONY's technology and SONY's console to develop on I don't know what matters, all I know is MOST PS1 games are scratched to the brim today and probably would never work again even if their were buffed one more time

If any of you decide to get some ROM's anyway always do research on "the correct file Extensions in those 7z or zip files" because a lot of them even some of the "SO CALLED ROMS" even found on the less common malware sites? I can tell that the file is a tripwire just by looking at the file extension or files found in some of those compressed folders.

That is why I open them up before extracting all of them, because if you just extract without opening them first, that IF their is any hidden malware in those compressed folders? it could bypass Windows 10 security and infect your PC or device most often then not. Without Warnings
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 03:17:18 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

It's just there to protect the asses of the devs that's it. Just like all the writing in about sections on the emulators and their website saying how you can't use this emulator for retail purposes. You're just seeing something and looking way too much into it.

It's just there to protect the asses of the devs that's it. Just like all the writing in about sections on the emulators and their website saying how you can't use this emulator for retail purposes. You're just seeing something and looking way too much into it.

I hate to be the one to say this but, I feel like I have been robbed by all the rich collectors? that took all of the games and left none left for people like me. all the while they sit in their massive game rooms with walls of 10,0000's games and consoles. and brag about it on YouTube.

I just can't be Satisfied anymore knowing how much I was ripped off by all those collectors who started before I started collecting. and the fact that those collectors don't GIVE a F___ about anyone else but themselves and their own pockets. Most of those people are or were scalpers and don't even care about those games.

I'll be honest I can't even buy music anymore because of the local eBay scalpers in my local area they TOOK EVERYTHING that was affordable in my area and SOLD IT FOR 3 at least double on Ebay to foreign states and countries. and Games got it even worse in my local area.

I've had it, so now I am resorting to ROM's, even when I was a boy my friends took all my DANM expensive handheld consoles and ran out the door laughing and I could not catch their ass because I never could run fast. SO? F___ I just want to play video games I am not mad at you @redblaze57 or anybody on this forum.

Maybe @flea but that is it. but he can keep all of his games because at least I have a lot of consoles and a PC of my own so :-\

« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 04:08:04 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

Scalpers aren't buying up physical media in your area.  Other than modern games stores simply don't carry much anymore. Especially music.

And it sucks that you got robbed when you were younger, but for the most part collectors aren't keeping you from anything that good or that 90% of us couldnt afford anyway.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

...What the fuck does any of that have to do with what I said?

...What the fuck does any of that have to do with what I said?

to get back on what you said exactly? this was not found when downloading any ROM itself or on any ROM site. This message I read to all was found as a popup warning when I was Still Installing the emulator. It said "IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A REAL SONY BRAND PLAYSTATION CONSOLE" And? you download And? Use this following file? with ISO you can be arrested. then it automatically gave me the file.

Almost like the government was watching me then and  my recent posts, not to sound paranoid about preserving the video game industry. because lets face the facts folks. Those PS1 games are GONE!!!!!!!! because most of them were children's toys of the 1990's, they were scratched, even some of the ones that I own physically in my collection don't work right and freeze at random because they were severly scratched at one time do you get get that? Scratched to the point of freezing and unplayability.

In my own opinoion I just did you a favor by telling you how to get more PS1 games for your collection legally, and I am positive you have at least a PS1 or Ps2 or PS3 in your collection still right ? now all you need is a cheap PC or mini PC
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 11:28:32 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

ferraroso

I hate to be the one to say this but, I feel like I have been robbed by all the rich collectors?
[...]
I just can't be Satisfied anymore knowing how much I was ripped off by all those collectors who started before I started collecting. and the fact that those collectors don't GIVE a F___ about anyone else but themselves and their own pockets.
Truth is that there're lots of people collecting these days (which is not necessarily a bad thing) and the most wanted games simply do not exist in the quantity needed to please everyone.
Now, it's not anyone's fault that some people started collecting before you did and ended up getting most good retro games for themselves before you had a chance.
However, I gotta admit you're correct there as I own a few thousand items myself and (to quote yourself) I "don't GIVE a F___ about" whether you (or anyone else) is satisfied with it or not. Haha

Almost like the government was watching me then and  my recent posts, not to sound paranoid about preserving the video game industry.
Chill out... governments have a lot more relevant people to spy on than you, me or any of us here (unless we find out that "theflea" is Xi Jinping's secret identity or that Ursula von der Leyen collects retro video games under the alias of "tripredacus").
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 12:36:50 am by ferraroso »

I hate to be the one to say this but, I feel like I have been robbed by all the rich collectors?
[...]
I just can't be Satisfied anymore knowing how much I was ripped off by all those collectors who started before I started collecting. and the fact that those collectors don't GIVE a F___ about anyone else but themselves and their own pockets.
Truth is that there're lots of people collecting these days (which is not necessarily a bad thing) and the most wanted games simply do not exist in the quantity needed to please everyone.
Now, it's not anyone's fault that some people started collecting before you did and ended up getting most good retro games for themselves before you had a chance.
However, I gotta admit you're correct there as I own a few thousand items myself and (to quote yourself) I "don't GIVE a F___ about" whether you (or anyone else) is satisfied with it or not. Haha

Almost like the government was watching me then and  my recent posts, not to sound paranoid about preserving the video game industry.
Chill out... governments have a lot more relevant people to spy on than you, me or any of us here (unless we find out that "theflea" is Xi Jinping's secret identity or that Ursula von der Leyen collects retro video games under the alias of "tripredacus").

Well i got most of the PS1 games that they Actually don't GIVE AWAY ON MOST COMMOM ROM SITES, so there is that for me to look at :-\

NO APPS NEEDED

sworddude

I have bought and have 6 PlayStation Consoles 2 PS3's and 3 PS2's. But finding MOST PS1, and PS2 games is IMPOSSIBLE in my area and there is NO WAY I can ever get a chance to play most old SONY PlayStation games ever unless I download ISO's. SO today I downloaded A famous PSX Emulator, then first I set it up to work with my Windows 10 PC, Then? a message comes on the screen that reads as follows

As Long As You Have A REAL SONY PlayStation Console in your possession YOU CAN use this special file to run ISO's on this emulator, legally. What is your opinion on this statement? could this be true that we no longer need to physical copy to legally own the ROM's for the PlayStation 1 "AS LONG AS WE OWN A REAL SONY PLAYSTAION CONSOLE" but no longer need to actual game?

Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, because if this is true I think it is VARY fair

and best of all if WE are going to preserve the video game industry

So here's the thing if you own the hardware or actual games your free to legally use said roms.

Than again it's almost pointless to emulate at that point for most people since the biggest hurdle is rarity and the prices of the original thing they would never get to play it otherwise. There are some other reasons to emulate even if you already own the item but it's miniscule in comparison to this very point.

Eitherway the emulator itselves is legal to use. It's the way how people use them, That being said companies aren't going after single users. It's only the people who put the roms out who are at risk and preferably of an actual notable game. No company is going to bat an eye over them niche games or games that don't really make money. Even Nintendo doesn't seem to give a shit like ip's such as advance wars or fire emblem.

I hate to be the one to say this but, I feel like I have been robbed by all the rich collectors? that took all of the games and left none left for people like me. all the while they sit in their massive game rooms with walls of 10,0000's games and consoles. and brag about it on YouTube.

One video game often has 100s of ways of playing the same game anything from unlockable, or custom content or controls, to mods, to hidden cheats and skins, pathways, difficulty settings to tweak able options etc including playing with other characters And multi-player. I hope VGCollect you can get this comment because some say you got 7000 games or more this comment is just reminding you just to be thankful for what's yours, and maybe try to explore the universe you already own. Like I struggle to do and I have less with about 5000 at estimation

You said you had around 5000 games. Allot of the big retro youtubers don't even have 5K games nor do most folks on collecting sites such as these so by your own logic your robbing games from the average collector your part of the top % with such amounts  ::)

Your Stylish Sword Master!

empovyle

What emulator did you download that tells you that message? 

I do believe emulators are legal but the part that makes it illegal is the BIOS files, aka the files that actually make it operate like the real console. You are supposed to dump those files yourself using your own hardware. All PS1 emulators require you to obtain BIOS files before they will work properly, which is what I believe that message in your OP is referencing. 

Same with ROMs, it is illegal to download or distribute ROMs, the way you are supposed to obtain them is by dumping them from real cartridges/discs. This is why no big companies have managed to strike down any emulators for copyright although I'm very sure they would love to. They aren't breaking any laws.

Now... are you going to get arrested or fined for downloading ROMs or BIOS files? Well, I think the police would rather go after the people who hosted the files first, before they go after you, unless you are bulk downloading a billion ROMs for some reason. Your ISP might catch you by monitoring your browsing history though. So you are probably safe to get some of the rarer games... but I don't recommend breaking the law.  :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 11:34:10 pm by empovyle »

As for the message you received on the PSX emulator, it's an interesting concept, isn't it? If it's indeed legit that owning a physical PlayStation console grants you the right to play ROMs on an emulator, that could be a game-changer. It might actually be a fair way to preserve these old gems for future generations. I'm not sure about the specifics of this "special file" and its legality, but it's certainly a topic worth exploring. And I also think that the future generation can try to install modern windows 10 key, and then games can run from different devices. It'd be great if it helps us keep these classic games alive and accessible.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 03:46:23 am by enchantedworld »

What emulator did you download that tells you that message? 

I do believe emulators are legal but the part that makes it illegal is the BIOS files, aka the files that actually make it operate like the real console. You are supposed to dump those files yourself using your own hardware. All PS1 emulators require you to obtain BIOS files before they will work properly, which is what I believe that message in your OP is referencing. 

Same with ROMs, it is illegal to download or distribute ROMs, the way you are supposed to obtain them is by dumping them from real cartridges/discs. This is why no big companies have managed to strike down any emulators for copyright although I'm very sure they would love to. They aren't breaking any laws.

Now... are you going to get arrested or fined for downloading ROMs or BIOS files? Well, I think the police would rather go after the people who hosted the files first, before they go after you, unless you are bulk downloading a billion ROMs for some reason. Your ISP might catch you by monitoring your browsing history though. So you are probably safe to get some of the rarer games... but I don't recommend breaking the law.  :)

I have multiple emulators and it's no secret but ePSXe told me the OP

I have a rule nothing +2004

OR is NOT found on this major emulation site with only a limited selection of PS2 games

Retro Arch is my primary emulator now,  it offers more ways to play all old games more ways then even the original console ever could including online
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 11:02:13 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

@ sworddude i am no longer picking up games currently No stock

NO APPS NEEDED