Author Topic: Would you replace a Greatest Hits/Reprint game?  (Read 879 times)

empovyle

Would you replace a Greatest Hits/Reprint game?
« on: September 11, 2023, 05:32:28 am »
Just curious what you all think about this. If you had a reprint version of one of your favorite games, like Greatest Hits/Platinum/Player's Choice/Nintendo Selects, would you consider replacing it with the original version? Or would that be too overkill? How high on the priority list would that be for you to do? 

I have a bunch of games I really love but unfortunately they are Greatest Hits versions that I acquired when I was younger. I really hate seeing that red strip on my shelf because I can't decide how to organize them (separate them from the black labels or do the whole set alphabetically?). It's genuinely such an eyesore. I'm honestly considering selling them and getting black label copies instead.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 05:58:58 am by empovyle »

telekill

Re: Would you replace a Greatest Hits/Reprint game?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 08:51:29 am »
I'm not fussed about it. So long as the game is playable, I'm happy. If I had a choice at the time of purchase, I'd buy the original look to try and keep everything uniform, but other than that. Never really cared.

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 09:33:59 am »
I would consider something like that if I started to run into space considerations. Depending on the release of course, since sometimes the reprint has different game code. I think that would make a difference in consideration whether I should keep it vs an original. If it were a game that I won't play (or play again) then it would be an easier decision. For me the reprint with different spine isn't that big of a problem like this, but rather LEs and other types of games that are in non-standard packaging. A recent example is some PS2 JP pickups from earlier this year, where most were in a box that was about the same size as a PS2 case (height wise) but one was in a box the size of a coffee table book.

Warmsignal

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 12:17:52 pm »
I used to think that way, but now I don't really care. If I already have it from years ago I keep it, especially my childhood copies. I can't just toss those away because they don't match up to my snobby adult collector standards. Those are authentic pieces of my history. If I'm out shopping for some new game, then sure I'll still hold out for the OG copy, but I'm not going back and rewriting my own history.

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2023, 01:01:55 pm »
During my hardcore collecting days this exactly what I did across my entire collection; I actively sought original label games, and whenever I did have a greatest hits release it was always slated to be replaced as soon as I could get my hands on a non-greatest hits version. What drove me crazy is a handful of games or releases were never given non-greatest hits releases. One that immediately comes to mind is Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution on PS2. But yeah, the main reason I chose to only have non-greatest hits copies of games was purely down to aesthetics and thinking it was cooler to have the original version of the game. Some greatest hits games just look gross too. I'm looking at you PS1.

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2023, 01:28:30 pm »
Sure. I already did with some of the games from my collection and planning to do it with some of the others. I prefer having a game over not having it and I prefer to have it with manual and the original full-sized cover art.

But only for games I really care about and not for any price.

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2023, 03:41:14 pm »
Just curious what you all think about this. If you had a reprint version of one of your favorite games, like Greatest Hits/Platinum/Player's Choice/Nintendo Selects, would you consider replacing it with the original version? Or would that be too overkill? How high on the priority list would that be for you to do? 

I have a bunch of games I really love but unfortunately they are Greatest Hits versions that I acquired when I was younger. I really hate seeing that red strip on my shelf because I can't decide how to organize them (separate them from the black labels or do the whole set alphabetically?). It's genuinely such an eyesore. I'm honestly considering selling them and getting black label copies instead.

I won't even consider keeping platinum/greatest hits versions so I don't really have the option to replace it if I never own it in the first place.

I have one exception, my childhood copy of smash melee but I don't think that's in the same realm since there is allot of nostalgia and memories attached to that original copy. but in that case I now just own both, got a platinum and scored an original release years later. but that's a very wild exception however. wouldn't have a platinum release otherwise.

I might consider hanging on to a plat release if it was an exclusive from another country I guess, since I wouldn't be able to play the game for cheap otherwise so it would have to be something interesting that I had to come across for very cheap. ye can't be to picky in that case since your odds of finding it at a good price are low. but than again in that case, I would probably not be able to replace it.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 03:47:17 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2023, 06:18:38 pm »
www.thecoverproject.net is something you might want to check out. They have many replica covers and also custom ones that you can print out and replace the ones of copies you have. Just keep the original covers in a binder or someplace safe. It might just be a better option then selling your games just to rebuy them again.

If you really want to replace them just do it with your absolute favorites. Just keep in mind certain versions of games such as Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening Special Edition is only available as a greatest hits.

empovyle

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2023, 06:29:34 pm »
www.thecoverproject.net is something you might want to check out. They have many replica covers and also custom ones that you can print out and replace the ones of copies you have. Just keep the original covers in a binder or someplace safe. It might just be a better option then selling your games just to rebuy them again.

If you really want to replace them just do it with your absolute favorites. Just keep in mind certain versions of games such as Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening Special Edition is only available as a greatest hits.
This is actually a great suggestion, thank you. I've been meaning to try this for a long time, maybe now is finally the time to give it a shot before I waste a bunch of time selling/rebuying. 

Is there a site like this that scans manuals? I see they have a section for PS1 games but they don't have "covers," instead they have full manuals so just printing out a picture of the front of the manual would be a little awkward. I suppose I could just print out the backs/spines and call it a day lol. That's all that would really show on a shelf anyways.

conduit

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2023, 06:30:26 pm »
I've had a few reprint versions Gamecube and Playstation games over the years, as a kid it didn't bother me much because I valued owning the game more than what version it was. Once I took collecting seriously I decided to obtain original, complete copies of every game I own. Sold all my reprints and used the funds to help fuel said collection habit. When I view my collection and know all my games nearly resemble being "off the shelf" its very cathartic, if that makes any sense.

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2023, 07:15:29 pm »
If I find the development and/or release history of a particular game interesting, I like to have multiple variants. If not, then I'm not too picky about which variant I have, so long as there's no difference in gameplay.

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2023, 07:26:44 pm »
I'm not bothered at all by them. I have a bunch on PS3 (I actually kinda like the red cases- the EU ones are pretty ugly though) and Xbox 360. As long as the game works, I'm good. If I find an original print cheap enough I'll add it as well. I don't mind have an extra if it's a variation.

brothertuc

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2023, 08:03:43 pm »
I most certainly would.
But it wouldn't be a problem, as I don't buy/collect Greatest Hits / Platinum versions.

dhaabi

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2023, 08:54:27 am »
At this point, no. I'd rather put the effort into collecting new items than replacing older ones. With that said, I don't actively seek out reprint releases. The few I do have were purchased long ago when I starting acquiring games casually.

tripredacus

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2023, 09:18:20 am »
Is there a site like this that scans manuals? I see they have a section for PS1 games but they don't have "covers," instead they have full manuals so just printing out a picture of the front of the manual would be a little awkward. I suppose I could just print out the backs/spines and call it a day lol. That's all that would really show on a shelf anyways.

They are not complete but might have what you are looking for. For each game title at the bottom you can find scans.
https://psxdatacenter.com/