Author Topic: Would you replace a Greatest Hits/Reprint game?  (Read 880 times)

Re: Would you replace a Greatest Hits/Reprint game?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2023, 08:42:08 am »
I wouldn't go out looking to do so, but if the price was right I would consider it.

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2023, 05:03:06 am »
I collect all variants of the games I like. So that includes Greatest Hits and all versions from other regions. I actually prefer Greatest Hits versions and I play those instead of the originals as they were sometimes updated/patched versions of the originals.
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2023, 11:11:28 am »
Only concerned about replacing Platinum versions of my playstation 2 games. I would love all of them to be black and white side labels. That looks hella dope
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2023, 06:28:05 pm »
At this point, no. I'd rather put the effort into collecting new items than replacing older ones. With that said, I don't actively seek out reprint releases. The few I do have were purchased long ago when I starting acquiring games casually.

Same here

ferraroso

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2023, 11:52:30 pm »
I don't go after replacements for the (very few) Greatest Hits/The Best/Essentials I happen to have, but if I find a regular edition on a reasonable price... Sure, why not?
I'd love to own a regular copy of Akumajou Dracula X: Gekka no Yasoukyoku (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night) of which I only own the PlayStation the Best edition... They used to go for less than ¥3,000, but it's very difficult to find one for less than ¥5,000 nowadays though.

pzeke

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2023, 09:14:40 pm »
This is actually a great suggestion, thank you. I've been meaning to try this for a long time, maybe now is finally the time to give it a shot before I waste a bunch of time selling/rebuying. 

Is there a site like this that scans manuals? I see they have a section for PS1 games but they don't have "covers," instead they have full manuals so just printing out a picture of the front of the manual would be a little awkward. I suppose I could just print out the backs/spines and call it a day lol. That's all that would really show on a shelf anyways.

I'm late to this, so I don't know what you ended up doing, but yeah, just printing the covers seems like the best idea since, like you said, the spine is what you'll see on the shelf anyway; I think doing the manuals is overkill.

As for the topic, I replaced most of my "Greatest Hits" copies years ago, except a few given they're superior to their black-label counterpart due to having received bug fixes and such. Of those, the first one that comes to mind is Jak X: Combat Racing given the original version has a nasty save glitch that the reprint fixed. Another is Silent Hill 2, which not only fixed some bugs but also included content originally introduced in the Xbox version. However, do keep in mind that not all of these reprints may be the best option since some were downgraded by not having proper fixes, or worse, were censored or had content removed due to licensing issues. And for the sake of keeping the conversation collector-oriented, some of these releases tend to be uncommon, a good example being the "Greatest Hits" version of The Warriors for PS2.

Lastly, worth mentioning are both Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance and Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, which are expanded editions of the original games that happen to be better than both their original and re-released versions.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!