Author Topic: A Year in Review - 2023  (Read 920 times)

Re: A Year in Review - 2023
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2023, 04:55:32 am »
Favourite 2023 Release: Star Ocean Second Story R
I wasn't sure about the new visual style but after 5 or so minutes I was hooked! The game features tons of quality of life improvements making the Private Actions feature actually accessible! I played through the campaign as Claude but eager to see if there is more to the story with Rena as I felt the later section of the games story was weaker, still with how accessible the game is now I am keen to find out more!

Least Favorite 2023 Release: Final Fantasy XVI / Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol.1
My summary of Final Fantasy XVI is that it is a decent story trapped within a bad game. The games combat requires no effort, it doesn't even feature any elemental attacks. But the games structure is what bothered me the most. The world felt divided into levels, you can't traverse from one place to another, once you reach the end of an area, you're presented with a map to select a new location - this broke all immersion I had with the game as the sense of adventure was lost. Also, despite saying the game was complete and there was no plans for DLC, we now had DLC which will lead to a new ending... I regret playing this now.

Also, I can't pass without mentioning my destain for the botched job on the Metal Gear Solid 'Master' Collection. It simply has nothing to offer, I'll stick to the 360 version of the HD Collection & play MGS1... elsewhere.

Favorite Game Played in 2023: In Sound Mind
This game really surprised me! It's hardly Triple-A but it does enough with it's budget to be convincing. You play as a psychiatrist who gets trapped in his office building and has to navigate through surreal portals which explore his patients traumas. It's a creative and fun first person horror game that I highly recommend!

Least Favorite Game Played in 2023: Final Fantasy XVI
It was either this or Ghostwire: Tokyo but FF16's onslaught of generic sidequests have ruined the prospect for other games now, I genuinely can't be bothered anymore.

Sleeper Hit of 2023: Bramble: The Mountain King
This is an interesting game in a similar style to Little Nightmare but arguably better! You play as a boy in a fantasy tale looking for his sister. The sweet setting turns sour very quickly and can be quite horrific! There's a lot of atmospheric set pieces along the way. The game doesn't have much replay value but if it is still on Gamepass it's worth a try!

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2023: Coffee Talk
I can't dive into spoilers but the game really presents it's characters well and the is a moment late in the game where one... I don't want to spoil it but it was very exciting and a lot of fun. I'm now playing the second game and already looking forward to seeing what comes next!

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2023: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Signed Art Print by Yu Suzuki
Nothing outrageous this year, I'm pleased to get an imported version of Like a Dragon Gaiden, as i was annoyed at the lack of a world wide physical release. But the most unique Item I got was a signed art print from Yu Suzuki from the Shenmue III Kickstarter campaign - I opted for multiple copies of the game instead of increasing my initial pledge so I didn't get higher tier items. I always regretted not getting the a signed print and have been hunting on eBay the last few years, well I finally got one this year!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 05:06:03 am by vivigamer »

dhaabi

Re: A Year in Review - 2023
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2024, 10:59:18 am »
Favorite Game Played in 2023: Crankin's Time Travel Adventure
Many probably wouldn't expect for a simple-looking, 1-bit game to be their favorite game played during a calendar year, but it certainly was mine. My expanded thoughts for it reflect more on what the game is and all the personality it has.

Least Favorite Game Played in 2023: Agatha Christie: And Then There Were None
While my least favorite game played to completion during 2023 is Minefield, Agatha Christie: And Then There Were None offers such as awful gameplay experience that's sullied by over-complicated, hand-cramping, and needlessly tacked-on Wii controls. The player encounters so many doors needing to be opened each and every time you approach them, and the motion for opening them is required while being difficult to perform. I would have finished the game, but the literally painful controls made me quit.

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2023: Playing Thumper
My favorite moment isn't a specific moment in particular but instead several in conjunction with another. Across Thumper's nine lengthy stages, many were absolutely brutal. Being able to clear each and every major hurdle without much in-game instruction, paired with the game's surmounting difficulty, was always so empowering.

Proudest Collection Moment of 2023: Maximizing shelf space
For many years, most of my games have been stacked atop another to conserve the limited available space which I've always felt bad about. Now, they're placed vertically in single file as one would expect. Since my shelves are deep, I made it so there are two rows of games while adjusting the position of the shelves since my bookcase allows that. So, that also means I would be able to insert additional shelves. To add the back row, I utilized wood as a lift support. I actually went out and bought wood, had a woodworking friend cut it down, and sanded it. So, for each of my two bookcases, I've essentially created enough space for twice as many games. It's still a project in the works, though, since my friend's been busy and it's been too cold to finish making the additional shelves.

Of the games I played throughout 2023, here are also some personal categories:

Newest Game Played: Most Searched Playground (December 12, 2023)
Oldest Game Played: Silent Hill 4: The Room (September 7, 2004)
Best World Design: Stray
Best Narrative: Yakuza 4 Remastered
Best Storytelling: 7 Days to End with You
Best Art Direction: Knights and Bikes
Best Score and Music: Stray
Best VR: Astro Bot Rescue Mission
Most Challenging: Thumper
Most Innovative:: 7 Days to End with You
Most Funny: Going Under
Most Thought-Provoking: Something Something Soup Something