Author Topic: Is my copy of Link to the Past a repro?  (Read 766 times)

Re: Is my copy of Link to the Past a repro?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2024, 06:38:09 am »
Sorry to double post, but like I said, given how beat up the front is, IMO, the most likely explanation for the back sticker missing is that the previous owner just didn't take very good care of the game.

sworddude

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2024, 09:12:47 am »
Sorry to double post, but like I said, given how beat up the front is, IMO, the most likely explanation for the back sticker missing is that the previous owner just didn't take very good care of the game.

considering it's from amazon, If I had to guess they replaced the back for a nice one.

Most folks rather have a nice grey back than a discolored one with a shitty condition sticker. most folks would less likely return said cart than.

I'd imagine the original back was in rough shape considering what the front looked like.

Still I wouldn't really think to deeply in why the back label is removed. as long as the front lable and the board is legit nothing else really matters.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 11:24:02 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Warmsignal

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2024, 12:47:27 am »
This is why you don't buy from sources where you don't get to see the copy they're sending. You're paying collector's price for a sub-par copy.

A quick glance at eBay and there are current listings of ALttP for better prices, with plenty of good pictures.

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2024, 06:06:43 am »

considering it's from amazon, If I had to guess they replaced the back for a nice one.

Most folks rather have a nice grey back than a discolored one with a shitty condition sticker. most folks would less likely return said cart than.

I'd imagine the original back was in rough shape considering what the front looked like.

Still I wouldn't really think to deeply in why the back label is removed. as long as the front lable and the board is legit nothing else really matters.

I read a site on how to tell if a SNES cartridge is authentic, and my copy of Link to the Past passes every one other than the back label and the board (I refuse to open up the cartridge). It has the product number code where the pin connector is, the game title on the label is clear, and the dot for the "i" in the Nintendo logo on the back is a square instead of a circle. And let's be real, it'd be hard to fake that kind of wear.

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2024, 06:29:23 am »
This is why you don't buy from sources where you don't get to see the copy they're sending. You're paying collector's price for a sub-par copy.

A quick glance at eBay and there are current listings of ALttP for better prices, with plenty of good pictures.

Sorry to double-post again, but I've had not so good experiences with EBay.

I bought a copy of Mega Man 7 there, and it was the most obvious repro I'd ever seen.

sworddude

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2024, 06:49:55 am »

I read a site on how to tell if a SNES cartridge is authentic, and my copy of Link to the Past passes every one other than the back label and the board (I refuse to open up the cartridge). It has the product number code where the pin connector is, the game title on the label is clear, and the dot for the "i" in the Nintendo logo on the back is a square instead of a circle. And let's be real, it'd be hard to fake that kind of wear.

it's pretty legit from what I've seen. if it boots up as the legend of zelda your golden.

The only thing that could have gone wrong in this case is if they by accident swapped the roms while replacing the back.

I bought a copy of Mega Man 7 there, and it was the most obvious repro I'd ever seen.

I'd imagine the price was pretty cheap and it was probably listed somewhere.

Buyer protection is quite strong on ebay, if it was a really obvious repro it's usually listed as such and at a cheap price compared to the og. It's quite a waste of time for the seller to sell an obvious repro and trying to fool folks

also with actual pricy rare cart only games. it's recommended to get the screwdriver for a few bucks to open up carts. The boards are never any good.

I guess there is one advantage, you might get a guarantee for a couple of months if the game happens to break down later on down the road. though tbh that's quite a waste of money imo the odds of that happening are miniscule
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 06:56:41 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2024, 01:12:26 pm »
Buyer protection is quite strong on ebay, if it was a really obvious repro it's usually listed as such and at a cheap price compared to the og. It's quite a waste of time for the seller to sell an obvious repro and trying to fool folks

True, on eBay, a buyer only has to say that an item is defective or inauthentic and they'll instantly win their case. There's pretty much no defense a seller can do against it. It's good for buyers, bad for honest sellers when dealing with underhanded buyers.

This Zelda looks legit to me. As others mentioned, sometimes the back shells become discolored, so people switch them out. Sometimes the back stickers are removed, or had rental stickers over them at one point. My Chrono Trigger has no back sticker because I got it from Blockbuster ages ago and didn't like the rental stickers they had on it. Although now with the mythos around Blockbuster, I should've just kept it on there.  ::)

Warmsignal

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2024, 01:49:04 pm »

Every seller is a different story, you have to look closely at the listing. Yes repros are sold on eBay, usually listed as "new" condition, but they can't call it a repro as it tends to violate eBay guidelines. Reputable sellers will mention "authentic" in the description, or will good detailed pictures, not generic.

Amazon sellers brutally over-charge for everything and usually don't even factor in condition, or have any pictures.

pzeke

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2024, 03:38:34 am »
I need your help to determine if my copy of Link to the Past is a repro.

Appearance-wise, sure, it looks like the real deal, but, as redblaze57 pointed out, you need to look at the board; otherwise, there's no way to accurately tell.

A rule of thumb you should follow whenever buying cartridge-based video games off the Internet is to always make sure that the listing has photos of the game in question, with at least one of them showing the board; the listing also having a proper description should also be taken into account. Never buy cartridge-based games from sellers who only use stock photos or just have one of the front and back of the cart, especially if you message them looking for additional information and they lack the common decency of replying. To be frank with you, straight up ignore any seller who not only doesn't have proper pictures attached to their listings but also lacks an adequately written description of the items they're trying to sell. By that same token, don't waste your time and energy if you come across a listing lacking a description, more so if all there is is a note by the seller telling their potential buyers to do the legwork and message them for information, because chances are if you bother with such a listing, you're going to regret it. And, even though I think it goes without saying, make it a habit of taking a few minutes to check their feedback. Now, keep in mind that this doesn't apply to all cartridge-based games, as Nintendo DS and 3DS games, for example, require you to essentially break them apart to get the board out. So, if you ever were to get a copy of Pokémon Platinum, just to name an example, your best bet is checking gameverifying over at Reddit, although there's also this for that specifically.

All in all, stick to eBay; you're better off there as a buyer than a seller anyway. If you can't find whatever you're looking for, then just be patient.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!