Author Topic: NEW Chibi-Robo!* game coming soon!!  (Read 2073 times)

NEW Chibi-Robo!* game coming soon!!
« on: July 19, 2024, 03:43:50 am »
*spiritual successor from "Tiny Wonder Studio, a new game development studio featuring key members from Chibi-Robo! series creators Skip, Ltd."

koROBO

Trailer, screenshots and a ton of information about the game and the developers can be found here: https://www.gematsu.com/2024/07/former-chibi-robo-developers-announce-robot-action-adventure-game-korobo-for-consoles-pc

This is clearly taking things back to the GameCube entry with most of the team having also worked on this game.

The unfortunate part of this is that it's a Kickstarter project. Hopefully this is the next Yooka-Laylee (in terms of funding) and not the next Project Rap Rabbit.

The game's Discord server mentions Strictly Limited Games so it seems as though a physical release is already planned!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2024, 04:28:15 am by weirdfeline »

Re: NEW Chibi-Robo!* game coming soon!!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2024, 02:32:40 am »
I did not see any mentions of this but the Kickstarter apparently went live Monday morning. It's a little more than halfway to the initial goal. Console versions are double the initial goal.. oof.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tinywonderstudio/korobo

dhaabi

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2024, 10:52:37 am »
With the information we know so far, I'm not really interested in this project. It seems close to a 1:1 recreation of the original Chibi-Robo game but with no personality of its own. Should I ever want this kind of experience, the source material is already available to me.

Kickstarter reward tiers are awfully overpriced. Is a digital artbook and digital soundtrack actually worth $60 USD? It's also worth mentioning that the second lowest reward tier is to reserve a physical copy, but physical copies are a stretch goal, which means backers pledging that amount theoretically wouldn't get the promised reward.

It's being reported that physical copies will be handled by Strictly Limited Games (SLG), although the game itself isn't projected to release until 2026. At that point, many are doubtful that SLG will even exist, given their infamously bad track record resulting in major, legitimate consumer complaints. Should scheduling actually go as planned and SLG continue their rate of production, a physical release wouldn't manifest until 2027 at the earliest and possibly 2028 or 2029.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2024, 10:59:58 am by dhaabi »

sworddude

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2024, 04:01:22 pm »
With the information we know so far, I'm not really interested in this project. It seems close to a 1:1 recreation of the original Chibi-Robo game but with no personality of its own. Should I ever want this kind of experience, the source material is already available to me.

I doubt it's gonna be 1:1

the stages are probably different. It's as if you where to have a new entry I guess?

I do see simularities for sure. but it being 1:1 is a bit overexaggerated

Tops you could say it's not different enough. but if you liked the series might be interesting to play a simular game with different stages and characters if you wanted a bit more from this otherwise extinct series.

From what I've read it seems like some of the creators of the og chibi robo series are working on this game.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2024, 04:09:14 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

dhaabi

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2024, 06:30:37 pm »

From what I've read it seems like some of the creators of the og chibi robo series are working on this game.

Suggesting that Korobo seems to be a 1:1 recreation of the debut Chibi-Robo entry was an exaggeration, as what I mean is that nothing about Korobo seems to set the two apart. I briefly glanced over some interview with one of the creators, and they were adamant about how the two projects differ from another simply because Chibi-Robo relies on an electrical plug, whereas Korobo relies on a solar panel. Based on the trailer, the two mechanics function the exact same as a time limit which can be lengthened, so I'm not sure why they're suggesting otherwise. Of course, there's nothing wrong about revisiting old ideas to make modernize them, but there has to be some sort of foundational difference present for me to think it's worth doing so.

At the same time, plenty can be said that certain key figures from Skip have come together to form Tiny Wonder Studio and how that fact relates to them introducing a spiritual successor to Chibi-Robo. From my point-of-view with the information available to me, the project comes across right now as there not being enough differences between the two, whether the creators admit to it or even believe it to be true. Had Korobo been introduced by some third-party as a project inspired by Chibi-Robo, I imagine the differences to have been far greater. Should more information become available which suggests major differences are indeed present, I'm sure I'll be more interested.

sworddude

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2024, 06:36:10 pm »

Suggesting that Korobo seems to be a 1:1 recreation of the debut Chibi-Robo entry was an exaggeration, as what I mean is that nothing about Korobo seems to set the two apart. I briefly glanced over some interview with one of the creators, and they were adamant about how the two projects differ from another simply because Chibi-Robo relies on an electrical plug, whereas Korobo relies on a solar panel. Based on the trailer, the two mechanics function the exact same as a time limit which can be lengthened, so I'm not sure why they're suggesting otherwise. Of course, there's nothing wrong about revisiting old ideas to make modernize them, but there has to be some sort of foundational difference present for me to think it's worth doing so.

At the same time, plenty can be said that certain key figures from Skip have come together to form Tiny Wonder Studio and how that fact relates to them introducing a spiritual successor to Chibi-Robo. From my point-of-view with the information available to me, the project comes across right now as there not being enough differences between the two, whether the creators admit to it or even believe it to be true. Had Korobo been introduced by some third-party as a project inspired by Chibi-Robo, I imagine the differences to have been far greater. Should more information become available which suggests major differences are indeed present, I'm sure I'll be more interested.

I mean the og creators of chibi robo are in here. So I get why they are trying to recreate the feel of the original while not being close enough in which Nintendo can sue em.
If Not for Nintendo having the IP, the og creators would have just made a brand new chibi robo game instead. but this is the next thing you'd do if you don't have acces to the ip.

I could definitely see where your coming from if not for the fact that the main steering wheel behind this project are the og creators behind chibi robo. The main reason why it's not going to be all that different. These are the creators of the og, not random people trying to imitate a game they didn't make. Mechanics etc are probably going to be very comparable to the original with simular vibes in terms of presentation characters. but at the end of the day still new characters/ story and stages for people that might wanna see more of these kinda games or the chibi robo series in general.

If only Nintendo sold the IP off since they ain't doing much with it anyway.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2024, 06:43:34 pm by sworddude »

dhaabi

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2024, 06:50:38 pm »

I could definitely see where your coming from if not for the fact that the main steering wheel behind this project are the og creators behind chibi robo. The main reason why it's not going to be all that different. These are the creators of the og, not random people trying to imitate a game they didn't make. Mechanics etc are probably going to be very comparable to the original with simular vibes in terms of presentation characters. but at the end of the day still new characters/ story and stages for people that might wanna see more of these kinda games or the chibi robo series in general.

The issue with this opinion is that Tiny Wonder Studio are insistent that Chibi-Robo and Korobo are two different types of games, even going as far as to say that they "don't want people to approach Korobo as a new Chibi-Robo game." In fact, they double-down by saying "After announcing the game the other day, a lot of people have referred to this game as being heavily inspired by or a heavily similar game to the Chibi-Robo series. But I think that’s just because they’re looking through these lenses that are tainted with their experience of having played Chibi-Robo. And actually, this is its own very different sort of game."

Which, perhaps the games will be different as I suggested above, but there needs to be evidence to back that up. Because, right now, they look nearly identical.

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2024, 08:14:08 pm »

The issue with this opinion is that Tiny Wonder Studio are insistent that Chibi-Robo and Korobo are two different types of games, even going as far as to say that they "don't want people to approach Korobo as a new Chibi-Robo game." In fact, they double-down by saying "After announcing the game the other day, a lot of people have referred to this game as being heavily inspired by or a heavily similar game to the Chibi-Robo series. But I think that’s just because they’re looking through these lenses that are tainted with their experience of having played Chibi-Robo. And actually, this is its own very different sort of game."

Which, perhaps the games will be different as I suggested above, but there needs to be evidence to back that up. Because, right now, they look nearly identical.

Either that, or since it's Japan they really don't want Nintendo to sue their ass in which they insist the games are different not that inspired of the og.

Could just be a legal thing to cover themselves. If you'd ask me that's probably the case since it's pretty heavily inspired of the og at the very least anyone could see that.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2024, 08:16:30 pm by sworddude »

dhaabi

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2024, 09:32:35 am »

Either that, or since it's Japan they really don't want Nintendo to sue their ass in which they insist the games are different not that inspired of the og.

If that were the case, I imagine the developers would have avoided a robot protagonist altogether in addition to choosing a different title name. 小 (ko) translates to small whereas 禿び (chibi) translates to small person, so the name of the two franchises are more-or-less the same.

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2024, 06:12:37 pm »

If that were the case, I imagine the developers would have avoided a robot protagonist altogether in addition to choosing a different title name. 小 (ko) translates to small whereas 禿び (chibi) translates to small person, so the name of the two franchises are more-or-less the same.

They just deny it for press withouth sacrificing the actual product. This seems to look like a spiritual successor to chibi robo with very simular styles in terms of presentation and gameplay. But it will have a different spin on the older mechanics with the solar energy. Time traveling in terms of area's might be interesting to see.

Ye could also have a case of creators maybe forgetting the original? since most of the og creators didn't work on the cube version and you even have the developer of ziplash. That being said kinda doubt the developers are that ignorant. but that is maybe a scenario if you really want to believe what they are saying.

One final thing could also be that there are some translation errors. Not the first time we had these in terms of japanese devs speaking to the west.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 06:18:53 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2024, 11:31:12 pm »
Seems like this will probably hit the initial goal. It has a campaign on a website called Campfire as well and that's at 99%.