Author Topic: Wii U has changed my mind  (Read 1057 times)

killerchameleon

Wii U has changed my mind
« on: June 06, 2012, 01:28:25 pm »
After looking at the E3 coverage of the Wii U I’m hooked, I want it.  I take back what I said about Cloud gaming killing off all new consoles, as long as company’s like Nintendo keep integrating new idea’s into the consoles I believe there will still be a future for them but I still think game distribution will still move to the cloud.

blipcs76

Re: Wii U has changed my mind
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 01:43:01 pm »
I was really exited about the Wii U up until the press conference yesterday.  It does so many things that I really want, like being able to shift the game you're playing from the TV to the Wii U Gamepad screen and play it directly from there.  Yesterday I was playing Darksiders and my wife wanted to watch TV instead.  This happens all the time in my home; if I could just shift it from the TV to the Gamepad, I'd rarely need to quit playing so I wasn't hogging the main TV.

I'm also excited about new ways to play using the second screen, achievements in Wii U games, online play and the social aspects they're integrating.  The problem is, they didn't show us any significant killer games to go with the hardware.  Some footage of a new Zelda or Metroid would have been great.  I had my fingers crossed for a huge reveal like new core franchise to go with the new hardware.

I really want to like the Wii U, as I'm a passionate Nintendo fan, but Nintendo has got to show us more than what they've shown so far to get my to open my wallet when I already have a TON of games in my backlog.  New minigame collections and ports of games I can already play on my XBox360 don't justify the purchase.  I hope they have more to show at E3 before all is said and done.

PS. - Zombi U does look pretty great though.  I LOVE the idea of using the gamepad to input a door code while you can see the reverse view of zombies closing in on you from behind on the main screen.  Such a great idea!  I hope to see more fresh and creative uses of the second screen like this.

htimreimer

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 01:44:33 pm »
I still think game distribution will still move to the cloud.
i agree but not any time soon the internet is not fast enough

I'm also excited about new ways to play using the second screen, achievements in Wii U games, online play and the social aspects they're integrating.  The problem is, they didn't show us any significant killer games to go with the hardware.  Some footage of a new Zelda or Metroid would have been great.  I had my fingers crossed for a huge reveal like new core franchise to go with the new hardware.
nintendo was showing what will be available at launch and i guess we will see their core franchise in 2013
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 01:51:44 pm by htimreimer »

blipcs76

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 11:23:10 am »
nintendo was showing what will be available at launch and i guess we will see their core franchise in 2013

I understand that's what they were going for, but they had to have showed something that was in development that we can pick up in 2013.  The launch window didn't have anything that was truly impressive and the big question in everyone's mind is how powerful this thing is and if it will get any AAA 3rd party multi-platform support once the next generation truly starts. 

If the best it can handle is current-gen ports, what's the chance it's going to get ports of the next generation's biggest third party games?  I want to be able to play stuff like next-gen versions of Fallout, GTA, Bioshock, Dead Rising, etc. without having to buy two consoles.  Even if it's just stuff in development, like footage of a HD and graphically impressive Metroid would have calmed the angry fallout following their show.

While I adore them, 3 of the Wii U games they demoed in their presentation were 2D platformers; hardly the best showcase of the system's potential.