Author Topic: APF M1000  (Read 3150 times)

APF M1000
« on: June 28, 2012, 09:54:35 am »
I posted a pic of my apf m1000 in this thread ...

http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,1418.0.html

... and it seems that a couple of people are interested in it so I decided to make a new thread about it.

When I first got the console from my friend Vic I plugged it in to test and found that it booted up and read the carts but the controllers were unresponsive. I took the console apart and gave it a good cleaning and then tested it again, no change. There it sat until today. I decided that I would give it another try before I go taking it apart. I plug in the system, put in a cart and fire it up. I get a game selection screen (breakout clone with a few different game modes) so I move the joystick up down, nothing. I press the corresponding number button to the numbered selection .... game starts. I move the joystick and the onscreen "breakout paddle" moves ....  :o
Next I choose a 2 player mode and check the second player controller and it fires ...... but now the first player controller has no response. I reset the system and now there's no game selection screen, just starts up into one of the game modes and the first player joystick moves the onscreen paddle.....  :-\

What I'm figuring is that one of the joysticks or both have a stuck button or two or three. I'll have to take those joysticks apart and see if a good cleaning will do the trick. I'll be taking some high res pics as requested and posting them here. Here's keeping my fingers crossed.

htimreimer

Re: APF M1000
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 10:04:53 am »
you say it hell a mess how bad is vary dusty or was it like my odyssey 2 ware a spider made a nest it and died it it

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 10:18:38 am »
Dusty would be an understatement.
Mainly it's the way the thing was put together. It seems more like a guy in his garage was making these things. I'll try to get some pics up later today.

htimreimer

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 10:36:31 am »
Dusty would be an understatement.
Mainly it's the way the thing was put together. It seems more like a guy in his garage was making these things. I'll try to get some pics up later today.
that would explain why it rare they break down essay

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 11:05:12 am »
I'm in the middle of 2 different projects, getting our "game room" setup and I'm refurbishing and painting a nes system so this system is going to have to get in line. I just shot some pics of the innards for you guys ......

Notice the yellowed dried up tape holding the rf shielding together?
I'll post up higher rez pics as I get into it in a few weeks.

htimreimer

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 11:29:38 am »
can you count  how many pin that the controller port has also the way the controllers are connected is just like odyssey 2

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 12:20:58 pm »
I count 8 pins. The first pic up there is of the controller ports.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 02:21:33 pm »
Awesome! When you crack open the controllers take some pics too!

I'm betting on a cold solder joint or a bad connection. Try swapping the two controllers or leaving only one connected.

htimreimer

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 03:25:10 pm »
I'm betting on a cold solder joint or a bad connection. Try swapping the two controllers or leaving only one connected.
i agree also dose any know how hard it would be to add a Solder Cup D-Sub Connector 9 pin like this http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=3254 then he can use a genesis or 2600 controller or any 9 pin controller
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 03:37:10 pm by htimreimer »

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 03:59:04 pm »
i agree also dose any know how hard it would be to add a Solder Cup D-Sub Connector 9 pin like this http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=3254 then he can use a genesis or 2600 controller or any 9 pin controller

This all depends on if there is any logic inside of the original controllers. If no then that would be pretty darn simple to add assuming you trace back what wires connect where with a multimeter.

htimreimer

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 04:07:31 pm »

This all depends on if there is any logic inside of the original controllers. If no then that would be pretty darn simple to add assuming you trace back what wires connect where with a multimeter.
i think that better for because those controller look like crap

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 04:29:01 pm »
I hate this style controller but I really wouldn't know how to go about swapping them out. Also for the fact that this system is so rare I wouldn't want to go modifying it. I have 4 games for it and none of them really look to be worth the trouble anyway.