Author Topic: TV power problem HELP  (Read 2272 times)

htimreimer

TV power problem HELP
« on: July 10, 2012, 03:16:19 am »
i just got crt tv (its a candle color jctv 1415 from 1986)from gramma and grampa in which they kept in a closet all these years after the crt flash white and stop working so 20 to 15 year later i plug it in and let it warm up for one hour to see what is the problem is and i dont think it the crt i think its a power problem  there is no power going to the crt (theres no lines or circles) no power going to the channel number indicator nothing is getting power

what do you think and ask me anything about it i do have manual (i also have it warranty card its so cool to have) and i can scan the manual if it needed 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 12:56:02 pm by htimreimer »

htimreimer

Re: TV power problem HELP
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 07:01:37 am »
please help me :'(

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 04:11:10 pm »
Look for a blown fuse or some bad capacitors around the area where the power cable comes in.

tpugmire

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 04:15:12 pm »
Personally, I don't know enough about that particular tv to help much.  I wouldn't mess with it too much on your own, as you might get electrocuted.  Try taking it to a repair shop and see what they would charge to look it over.  More than likely though, they will charge way more than it is worth.  Not to mention, parts (if still available) aren't going to be cheap.  Toss it and buy a cheap CRT from a thrift store or a local classifieds site.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

htimreimer

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 01:21:04 am »
Look for a blown fuse or some bad capacitors around the area where the power cable comes in.
good new the fuse has died and the wire inside the fuse is split in two this is good news because it's an easy fix just pop it out and put a new one in and by the look of it there is bad capacitors
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 01:23:01 am by htimreimer »

htimreimer

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 12:59:04 pm »
one more question do think after 20 to 15 year the crt has discharge its self and yes i plugged it in but thare was no power going to the tv because of dead fuse 

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 09:59:37 pm »
It should be fine, but if you aren't sure try and discharge it to be on the safe side.

replace the caps and the fuse... Fuse probably blew due to bad caps.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 10:01:30 pm by pceslayer »

htimreimer

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 03:09:55 am »
It should be fine, but if you aren't sure try and discharge it to be on the safe side.

replace the caps and the fuse... Fuse probably blew due to bad caps.
i use this site ( http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5 ) to find bad caps and did not see any and thare anything i am missing or is it possible that the ac plug or socket killed the fuse and the fuse dose not have an burned spots and you can see threw it  the only problem with the fuse is that the wire in the middle is in two and thare is a white spot on it
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 08:41:55 am by htimreimer »

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 10:28:47 pm »
replace the fuse... if it blows again its a short somewhere else. fuses are cheap

htimreimer

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 08:58:50 am »
replace the fuse... if it blows again its a short somewhere else. fuses are cheap
thanks for all your help but i have more thing to ask anyone   is thare any differences between a fuse  from 1986 and now and these are what numbers are on the the fuse 125v 5a new61ml
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:26:45 pm by htimreimer »

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 10:44:07 am »
nope... Your voltage can be equal or exceed the rating of the original fuse, but the amps should stay the same.

So you can use a 250v 5a or a 125v 5a fuse.

Brand doesn't matter... just has to fit.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 05:38:17 pm by pceslayer »

darko

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 09:05:42 pm »
Trust me....you need to be super careful with anything on the inside of a CRT. Plenty of ways to hurt yourself in there!

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 05:36:03 pm »
Trust me....you need to be super careful with anything on the inside of a CRT. Plenty of ways to hurt yourself in there!
Indeed... CRT's bite pretty hard if you don't first discharge the voltage @ the flyback. Its still not as strong as say a taser or stun gun, but still can be lethal. Just be sure to never create a short across the chest and you should be fine.

Also htimreimer how'd it all go?